Ferret Nation or Quality Cage Mansion

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to find fans of both cages. I have QC Mansions and like them very much. I like the bars as they are squares and the Ferret Nation has most vertical bars. For some reason, and I have no proof, I think the bars on the QC Mansion are safer. I also think the Ferret Nation was designed with Ferrets in mind and the QC Mansion was designed with Chins in mind. It is easy to place shelves anywhere in the QC Mansion as the squares will accomodate the hardware anywhere along the sides. Just my opinion.

I have an FN that I recently purchased and moved my babies into. The FN is great! super spacious with lots of room for toys, hidey houses, hammmocks, and tubes! I don't really have trouble attaching things to the side of the cage as long as you twist it and attach it really tightly. The assembly was easy too! Everything is super user friendly in the manual...of course having someone helping is the easiest and fastest way.

I love my FN's because of the full front opening doors. You don't have to bend in awkward ways to hang shelves/hammocks/whatever else. They are very easy to clean too. I love the size- tons of room for lots of toys/shelves, whatever else. They look really nice..IMO QC cages look industrial/too cagey.

If you don't mind making your own shelves, FN's are great. Lots of people have been switching to FN's and love them I wouldn't buy any other cage.

I love my five FN 142's :)

I really like the fact that you can have It divided or open into 2 separate levels or even three levels. They are awesome stacking cages.
Some of mine have wooden shelves while others have the shelves that come with the FN but with a fleece cover.
One thing you may need to consider is the pan though if you plan to use shavings. The pan that comes with the FN is much too shallow to hold much of anything in the cage. You can get pans at bassequipment(US) or Grandview rabbitry(Canada)

Last edited:
I love the doors in the ferret nation. Easy to hang anything and very easy to clean! If you're worried about bar spacing, you can always go ahead & order the Critter Nation. I believe they are close to the same size & the bar spacing is smaller.

I could be wrong, but I see it like this.. if my chins is going whacko & gets his leg caught, I'd rather him get it caught on a large vertical bar where it would be much easier for him to free himself than a tiny little square where he would remain hanging all night.

The QC mansion doesn't really come with enough shelves anyways, so you'd either have to buy more or make more & that's gonna come to the same price as making them for the FN. The downside with the Ferret Nation? You usually have to buy deeper pans. I don't have a problem because I vacuum daily & use fleece liners.. but if you're using shavings they are gonna go flying out of the tiny pans in the FN.

I have both, I like both. I like the QC because I can design shelves better around the chins. I like the doors on the FN, but I think the chins like the QC better (shelves). Although, if you took the level out of the FN you would have more height for more shelves. If it will be in your bedroom, get the FN, it will be less noisy with wheels.

Personaly I own a Custom made chinchilla Mansion at my own dimentions, Quality cages give me an excellent costumer services and accept special conditions for shipping ( I ask for usps retain the package at they factory) i live in canada and custom are verry expensive when you use usps courtage service and you can do it by yourself for less then 10%

ersnaly i strongly recommend Quality cage for my persnal experiance!

if you buy from them think to buy cage guards and a chin spinn ;)

I also vote for the FN's, I think safety really isn't a factor at all as long as shelves are placed carefully. The doors are like no other cage and it makes it SOOO much easier to clean and organize.

I also vote for the FN. They look so nice, less like a cage, IMO, and are so easy to clean and arrange. I love how you can split it in two if you need to, and the wheels make it so much easier to clean the floor.

I've had FN's for almost 2 years and never had a cage related injury; I have boys that jump around and wall surf off of the edges and no problems.

I have a QC Mansion and Townhome. I like them because of the slide out pan and doors big enough that I can get my whole upper body in (I'm a small person) without fear of some little beastie sneaking by me. My chins are too crafty to stay put for a fully opening front like an FN.

Right now I have a superpet cage, they don't chew on the plastic so the plastic shelves are fine, but I want an upgrade.

Every time I open a door Sugar always tries to make a run for it. Would that be a problem with the ferret nation? The room they're in isn't safe to run around so and escape is completely out of the question.

I was thinking of staying with bedding instead of using fleece, I'm afraid my girls will chew on it. Nothing goes into the cage without them attempting to destroy it.

I just went through the same thing, trying to decide which cage. I went with the FN, because it is a bigger cage 36in L x 25in W x 62in over the mansion at 30"w x 24"d x 48"h. It ended up that they were both going to cost me around the same price (with shipping and a stand the manison was going to be $270ish) the FN was under $200 with shipping but I had to order the pan and shelves, so I figured might as well get the bigger one if they are going to cost the same

I never really have had a problem with my boys escaping from the FN's. They like to run to the side the door is on and stand there, contemplating about escape, but they don't make the long leap down to the floor. Plus I'm there the whole time to make sure they DON'T jump out...it's become a talent since I have 3 in one cage :) They're usually more interested in what I'm doing IN the cage, anyway.

Smudge is really the only one that tries to make a break for it, and that's only if I leave the bottom doors open for a few minutes without me being there.

If you get the QC mansion, ask to have the door moved down or installed sideways. I'm not a small person, and it's a real pain in the behind to put my whole top half into the cage to put stuff back in or hang their wheel... and somehow my little houdini's still manage to slip past me! It's a nice customizable cage with an easy to clean *pan*, but the rest of the cleaning can be a real job for the human.

My chins have never escaped out of the FN at night either. Almost all other cages I have had that problem with. The only time you have to worry about escape is when you are opening the doors, and you can just be extra careful and do headcounts before leaving.

You can also just put them in a carrier when you feed them or rearrange something. If you are that worried about them escaping, it shouldn't be that hard just to take them out. Plus, it is a lot easier to get things done without 3 chins climbing, tasting, grooming and humping you!

With the cage I have now as soon as I walk towards it Sugar goes straight to a door and will try her best to squeeze out of it which is why the whole side opening is a concern to me. She doesn't care how long the leap is, she'll take it as long as she gets to run around where she knows she shouldn't be.

If I do get a quality mansion, I'd get the 2 door so it'd be easier to reach certain areas.

Right now I'm leaning towards a ferret nation, but I'm still having so much trouble deciding.

Back