Feminism

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

I know this may seem weird. For an assignment for my online women's studies class I need to ask 5 people what feminism means to them and record thier answers.

So...what does feminism mean or what is it to you?
I'm not using anyone's names or online names. Just Mrs. A, Mr. B etc. Any demogrphical (age, race, economic standing etc.) is appreciated but obviously understandable if you choose to omit it. Thanks!!

Feminism to me is about woman being prominent, being active on their own, being independent ( probably the best way to describe it ) without losing their femininity. A good example to me would be a self sufficient business woman, who enjoys doing stuff with the girls at night, etc.

I am 30, white, middle class, home owner, married. Full time student and have a associates degree already, mother of two, not sure what else you want on that but if you want something else just let me know, lol.

I am strong in mind, heart, thought, and opinion. I know that the boundaries set for me are only set by me.

To me feminism has been about civil rights for women. It is about being able to get a job and be paid the same as a man for the same job. Women deserve the right to serve as equals in our military and not have their sex be in question when serving in public office. It's the right to be an individual and not be limited by what culture thinks is for women. In essences I guess for me it's about having the right to strive to be anything I (or any girl) want and having the right to try without being told I can't cause I'm a women or being judged for not being the typical woman.

On a personal level it's also about the right not to have kids and be judged or feel less than. It is also about those around us thinking we need a husband or significant other to be happy. I married in my thirties and it was interesting before I met my husband how many people wanted me married so I would be taken care of. It was also interesting to get married and find all our male mutual friends now considered me a wife and not as much as an individual. I was no longer welcome to activities because wives weren't coming. So I guess it's also about not needing a man to define myself and being treated respectfully and equally in life.

I am 43, no kids, low to middle class finacially and some college.

28, F, caucasian:

One of my favorite quotations about it is-- "I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."
Rebecca West

Feminism to me is the idea that if you're a human being on this earth, you've got as much right to work, live, play, love, and exist as anyone else and cannot be limited in that by your physical or mental gender. I take it further, however, by attempting to apply that same standard across the board. I don't have a favorite or pet "ism" (Racism, Sexism, Ageism) because it's all divisive crap that those in power use to manipulate those of us that put them there. Feminism was a *great* start at equal rights, as were the other 'isms' that starred in the Civil Rights movement. Now, I think, it's time to broaden the scope and keep pulling other minority groups up too, rather than putting down whatever enemy the movement has decided on this decade. (At one point, men were "the enemy" to very ardent feminists; then women who wanted to stay at home and be mothers and/or homemakers were the 'brainwashed' enemy to the cause of women getting equal pay and equal treatment, etc. Like in any group, I think the most passionate people calling themselves feminists forget that part of being female is also being human and spreading that humanity to others.)

Feminism to me is about appreciating and utilizing the skills a woman can bring to a workforce. I do not believe women are the same as men, because, for the most part, women have a different way of assessing and dealing with situations. Feminism is about applying these ways of assessing and dealing to modern-day situations.

Back