Feeding Oxbow

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
I have been feeding my chins Oxbow for so long, that I can't recall. Winston went through a phase back when they were eating APD where he wouldn't eat well, throwing his pellets out of the dish and wasting them. I don't know if it's possible that he would get tired of his food? After he did that I did switch them and he was fine. Anyone else have a chin that does this? I don't know if I should go back to the APD or not. I prefer not to have them eating the corn and that is why I don't feed Mazuri. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It's been years since I have given the chins Mazuri, does it not have corn in it anymore? At chinworld.com it still says corn, but I haven read other ingredient lists that don't have corn. Has the food been good without the corn? I might have to try that for Winston then. I have to get him to eat his pellets. Thanks.

They took the corn out years ago. They need to update the ingredients over there, I guess. The chins here seem to like it pretty well without the corn. I hope you can find something that Winston will eat...what a picky little brat!

APD changed its formula a couple of years ago and some chins, including mine who were on it since it first came out, hate it now. They put some strange ingrediants in it so if you try it do buy much!

Are they still eating the Oxbow fine? I don't think you mentioned anything about that. From what I understand you are just wondering if you should switch back to the APD now that it's been awhile?

If the Oxbow is still being eaten fine, I would leave it be. Don't fix what isn't broken ;) Like Dawn said, APD changed it's formula and I haven't heard very good reviews on it.

Are they still eating the Oxbow fine? I don't think you mentioned anything about that. From what I understand you are just wondering if you should switch back to the APD now that it's been awhile?

If the Oxbow is still being eaten fine, I would leave it be. Don't fix what isn't broken ;) Like Dawn said, APD changed it's formula and I haven't heard very good reviews on it.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I have one chinchilla that is eating the Oxbow and Winston is the one who isn't eating it so well any more. He just keeps digging through his dish and then throwing it out. I might pick up a bag of Mazuri to try with him.

Good News

I got some Mazuri and it was amazing. Winston started eating it and he is eating all his pellets now! Colby likes them too, so I will switch them both. I am so glad it worked out for me. Thanks for the replies.

Mazuri seems to be the feed that most chins like over everything else. I still am not a huge fan of the high protein, but it's still a good feed. I tried every single food I could think of with a chin I have, and Mazuri is the only thing he would eat.

Sandi just posted about that on CnF, Crysta, she was told by an Oxbow rep that their protein count was always around 18%, despite the label claiming it to be 16%. She recently bought a 50# bag and it SAYS 18% protein on that, so she called them up and asked for verification.

I hope she doesn't mind me sharing, but I will quote the e-mail she got directly from the Oxbow representative for you:

The Oxbow Chin Deluxe label and formulation issues that you questioned have been thoroughly reviewed and here

are my findings:

The actual formula hasn’t changed in years or since it was first developed.
The label was updated ~18 months ago to better reflect the actual protein results which come from frequent, regular lab analyses. Those results are consistently in the 18% range.
-We routinely test all of our products for their nutritional make up. These nutritional tests help us insure we are meeting the formulation specifications we need for each species.

Oxbow works closely with a team of nutritionists and veterinary health professionals in regards to formulation of and nutritional profiles of our diets.
In talking with our specialty nutritionist, some important nutritional factors to keep in mind with Chinchillas, are the amino acids (the building blocks of protein), not the crude protein content.
One amino acid, methionine, is essential for good hair growth, a much desired characteristic in Chins.
Another amino acid, lysine, is essential for good lean muscle growth in Chinchillas
Oxbow Chin Deluxe is specifically formulated to contain the proper amounts of these two amino acids.
The 18% Crude protein is a necessary to provide proper nutrition for chinchillas including the correct levels of these amino acids.
Our nutritionist also said, that in his opinion, a 16% diet is a maintenance diet only….That in order to achieve
proper muscle and hair coat, the diet must be at least a 17% or 18%.

So, the key point for your forum members is that the reason their Chins are doing so well on Oxbow Chin Deluxe
is because it is formulated to contain specific amino acids, as well as ample crude protein, to insure the that the animals nutritional needs are met.

Please let me know if our Technical Team can help with any other answers.

So the reason I have been buying Oxbow at twice the price was the lower protein, which is not, in fact, lower. I am about to switch my whole crew back to Mazuri, they were on it for years with no problems. I was just trying to do better by them with the Oxbow, but heck, if it's the same, I'll go the cheaper route. They liked it anyway.

Last edited:
Back