Feed Change!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched to Manna Pro Professional (would like to get the show) and my chins are now devouring the feed.

Whatever mill was producing the Purina products here is just not cutting it. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Manna Pro products for a bit.

Edited to Add this is what the Manna Pro products look like. They are in no way related to PANR.

Susan, I wish I had unpicky chins!

Mine are still digging their feed out of the bowls. They are eating it better though. I'll go through this bag and see if it gets better. My dealer also carries Manna Pro, so if all else fails I can get another bag (that will be 100 lbs of food for 3 chins!) and mix or put in two bowls and see which they prefer. Tara, do you remember how much you paid for the Manna Pro? I know I can always call my feed store, but I figured I would pick your brain first.

Less than the PANR, think it was $14 after tax, but Tractor Supply has always been cheaper than the Purina dealer here.

I switched to Manna Pro Professional (would like to get the show) and my chins are now devouring the feed.

Whatever mill was producing the Purina products here is just not cutting it. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Manna Pro products for a bit.

Edited to Add this is what the Manna Pro products look like. They are in no way related to PANR.

I CAN testified Manna Pro SHO is super feed for chins.

Jeez! I ordered a bag the first week of Dec, went picked it up, my dad brought it in the chin room and the chins have been eating it... just read the bag and it is the PRCS! Chins are all eating it, went cold turkey bc I didn't even notice it was different!!! Poos all look the same! I'll keep an eye out. My feed store didn't tell me it was different either!
Same thing happened here. I had to cold turkey switch because I thought I had a bag of the PANR left. Called the feed store to see if they had any PANR and they said yes. Drove there, went to the counter paid for 4 bags when they hauled it out to my car it was the PRCS. I told them it was the wrong stuff and they said no it IS the PANR and that they had just changed the bag. My chins did fine with the change over. No soft poo issues and everyone's eating it.

Both my groups here seem to be doing well (one group on the PRCS/PANR mix and one on the Fibre3/PANR mix). No poo changes, no digging through pellets. They do still seem to like the Fibre3 better.

Mine wouldn't touch Manna Pro SHO. I ended up with 50 lbs of it and tried mixing it in for a month, but ended up tossing most of it outside for the birds.

Ive got one pair that isnt eating as much, but they are still eating and their weight and poo are all fine. Everyone else doesnt seem to care about the switch!

mine are switching over to PRCS, and are doing fine. i compared the ingredients from PANR and PRCS and the top 3 lines have the same ingredients but different order. didnt look any further down though.

Mine will begin the mix of the old PANR and PRCS tonight. Normally I have a pretty un-picky herd so we'll see how things go.

My kids just got some tonight and they were eating it all up, so thumbs up here!!!

I am going this week to the feed store as I am out of shavings. I think it would be a good idea to start mixing so there are no issues. Almost all of my boys have put on weight with the PANR, so I am hoping the new stuff has the same success!

I have been feeding the show formula for a few years now and never had any problems with it. the tag on my current bag says 16% protein. Im going to stick to what works

Update here:
My Show Chow test group is down to 7 adults (2 adults went to their new home). 5 out of the 7 are doing great. One of my girls on the Show has started digging through her food...not something she usually does. One of the boys isn't eating much pellets. Not sure if that's normal for him because he lived with two other chins until a few days ago.

All 9 adults on the Fibre3 are doing well and chowing down, a couple have even put on a little weight.

My chins liked the old show formula, they're not liking the new one as much. Have your chins tried the new stuff yet?

Best as I can tell, I am still using the old show formula. I just bought a bag about 3 weeks ago and it appears to be the same as I always buy.

How do you if its the new show formula, aside form the ingredients? Is it labeled different?

Ok, I just looked at the Purina website and saw the picture of the new Show formula. I definitely still have the old show formula. I guess my feed store hasnt switched yet or something. I will still stick to the new show formula. There appears to be a few differences but not so much that I think it will matter. Of course, after saying that....will see if the chinnies like it.

Do you all think that the new show formula is different enough that it warrants a slow feed change to it from the old show formula?

Back