Favorite food for your chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannahdear

What is your favorite food you feed your chin? What made you come to that conclusion?
Thanks everyone!

I use Mazuri, and I am currently waiting till a little more of the 6 lbs is gone so I can start transitioning over to Oxbow or PANR. Still undecided. I have felt that Binx could just gain more on another food.

In the past I used Mazuri, but then I had trouble getting it ordered. We switched to Tradition & everyone gained weight. But having ran out of feed in the past due to people not ordering that Mazuri when I wanted, it made me nervous about the same thing happening with Tradition.
After a month or more of researching all the ingredients & nutritional analysis of every feed I can get within 30miles, I decided to feed a 50/50 mix of Tradition Chinchilla & Manna Pro Sho (rabbit feed). They all seem to be doing really well on it, so I have no desire to change anytime soon.
~Barb~

I switched from Mazuri to PANR. Since the switch both chins have gained weight. Chula is currently 722g and Buttons is 465g (he was 428 when I got him a month ago). It's reasonable and my boys seem to be doing great on it.

well we started feeding Tradition but it just got very tiring ordering it online and than worrying if it'll get here in time. so we found a feed store 5 blocks from here that carries PANR and it's $5.75 for a 10 lb bag. so we're switching and everyone seems to like it so far we've had no complaints.

PANR. After 5 years on Mazuri, and getting soft poos, we switched to Tradition. The chins did ok on it, a few did not, and the bags kept coming with random "junk" in it. One day it was corn, the other it was yellow pellets, then pink, then oats, etc. I did not like that, and for the price! So now we are on PANR, and happier than ever. It is affordable, and has cut down my vet bills by a lot! The chins are happy, so I am happy. No more half eaten pellets either.

I use Mazuri. When I was an idiot and first had chins, they were on that Timothy Complete stuff, and then I did research and I came across Mazuri and Oxbow and Tradition and all those other good ones. I ended up choosing Mazuri because I could find it easily and because it's a reasonable price. Never had issues with soft poos. I'd love to feed Oxbow, but it's too cost-prohibitive for me, having several chins (although one of my chins is on Oxbow, cause that's all he will eat).

Also, I use Mazuri for my chins and degus, both of which I breed, and so I picked a brand that could be found locally. While I know some people ship food in (like I would have to if I wanted Tradition - no actual sellers for a few hundred miles), I understand not all customers are going to want to do that, and I didn't want everyone to scramble to switch foods because they didn't want to ship their chin/degu chow in. I wanted something they could find reasonably locally without too much hassle - that's Mazuri for me.

I use Mazuri. Started out with it at the petstore. Over the years the herd grew and the cost was too expensive. I looked around and found a dealer closer and order it. I've used it for 5 years and no problems. I use alot of Oxbow hay along with the pellet.

I use Mazuri, someone told me about it and there is a feed store by me so I can get a 25 lb bag for only $12. I know some people have problems with that brand, but thankfully I don't. They also get their Timothy hay everyday, and sometimes as a treat I use other hays also. I heard that Oat hay is good because it's harder and helps to grind their back teeth down, so she is getting a health treat a few times a week. Don't get me wrong, I also have other things in her cage to chew, but personally I like to do everything I can for her teeth.

jean

Oxbow, but it is getting harder and harder to find...the closest PetSmart to me is 45 minutes away and paying $12 for a small bag? I don't think so. Especially not with 6 chins that go through 10 lbs in a little over a month.

PANR. My older chinchillas gained some weight after our switch from Tradition, all of the chins seem to like it (which is a miracle in itself) and I can get it easily :).

I have been using mazuri but the last time I went to the petstore I couldn't find it. So I am in the process of switching over to oxbow and so far so good. Too early to tell yet if she will benefit from the switch, although I never had any problems with mazuri.

we have had really good luck, i.e weight gain etc.. with Tradition so we're stiaying with it.

I used Mazuri, then switched to the mix recommended by California chins...Manna pro sho rabbit feed, rolled oats, and calf manna are the primary ingredients. My furballs go crazy for it, we have seen weight gain across the board, and their coats look shinier and healthier. I have also seen an increase in the average birth weight of the babies born here.

I feed our 4 boys Oxbow. They all enjoy it and it did make them all gain alittle weight. I tried Mazuri- no one would eat it! Like someone said Oxbow - is 12.99 at the Petsmart by us for a small bag! No where else around us carries it! There used to be a petstore that had ot for 7 bucks a bag- but they went out of business!!

Oxbow. They were on Tradition, but they all hated it. None of them would eat it. They love the Oxbow and eat it like it's treats.

I switched from Mazuri to Oxbow. Scampy just didn't want the Mazuri anymore, but he loves the new stuff!

PANR - my chins love it. I switched about a year ago from Mazuri. Mazuri was getting too expensive and I was noticing soft poos. Have had no problems at all with the switch

Right now my chins are on Mazuri but I might try putting them obn PARN. Other wise I have better reactions to Mazuri than to Oxbow from my fuzz butts

All of our girls eat Oxbow pellets and Oxbow hay and they love it. Our two who were underweight when they came to us are gaining weight. They really seem to love the Oxbow hay... whenever Carmen and Minnie get a new bowl, Carmen sticks her face in it and inhales!

Back