Fat Content of pellets??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanofdmb84

it IS called 'fur'-niture
Right now two of my fuzzies are eating Oxbow, and Raven is still on the food she came with (I believe it is Tradition). I'm planning on switching them over to either PRCS or Manna Pro. They are all small chins, but what concerns me is that they are all a bit bony so I'd like to put them on a different pellet and see if that helps.

Anyway, I've been looking at ingredients and the nutritional analysis of different foods, and wonder if the fat contents of different brands should sway me, considering I'm trying to bulk up all three of them.
The Manna Pro has 2.5% fat, the Manna Pro Sho has 3.5%, PRCS has 3.5%, and the Oxbow they are on now has 2.5%. Does 1% even matter?

I've seen Manna Pro at Tractor Supply, which is literally down the road from me, so I could get that easily (although I'm not sure if they have the Pro or Sho formula). I may be able to get the PRCS locally, but will need to look around for it.

Attached is my weight chart if that tells you anything. They've all gone up and down and are gaining overall, but I don't feel like they are as plump as they should be, despite an abundance of different hays and constant pellets.

Thanks for any insight

Attachments

• chin weights.JPG
    chin weights.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
Mainly because I can get 50lbs of Manna Pro or PRCS locally for less than what I pay for 10lbs of Oxbow. And I'd like to see if they will bulk up a little more on a different pellet.

Last time I was at the TSC down the road they did not carry the Show formula. I had considered switching to it and went looking for it. However they might be able to order it for you.

Last time I was at the TSC down the road they did not carry the Show formula. I had considered switching to it and went looking for it. However they might be able to order it for you.

Yes I was planning on calling them to see if they can order it...but I want to decide which food to order first. Also, the Greenville co-op carries Purina feeds and I'm in that area a lot too, so they would be my second choice.

Anyone have any insight into fat and protein contents of our chinnies' food??
The biologist in me wants to design an experiment now :) I don't have nearly enough chins though ;)

As far as I know the 1% isn't going to make much of a difference. I'd probably want it to be on the low side, but I can't imagine that it makes that much of a difference. Of course, the type of fat being added to the pellets could potentially be a cause for concern. Even though it is usually a very small amount, the hay and other ingredients in the pellets have some fat in them naturally.

When I fed a timmy only diet the protein was 14% and fat was 1.5%, the quality of the fur was dull and lifeless and they lost some weight. Protein 16-18%, fat 2.5-3.5% will give you nice fur and steady weight. The more fat and protein you can get away with on younger chins, go lower on the old ones.

That was my assumption, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't thinking about it all wrong. I found a feed mill close by that carries PRCS, I talked to them today and he says he gets it pretty fresh, usually within 30 days of milling and he always has it in stock, so I'm going to get it there and see how the fuzzies do on that. He mentioned he carries Mazuri too, but I'd rather stay away from that.

Back