Fabulous pet store experience!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

I stopped by the pet store on my way home because I needed to get a few things and while I was browsing around one of the employees came up to me and offered to help. I politely declined saying I only needed a couple things but we started chatting anyway.

I told him about my chin and he started to ask me what type of pellet and hay I feed him, he had asked me if I was feeding him any of the pellets they carried and I told him no because quite frankly they were all crap feed. He asked why it was crap feed and I gave him a few bullet points and then he asked "What type of feed do you recommend we sell for chinchillas then?" I told him Oxbow, Tradition, and Mazuri were all very good feeds in addition to a few rabbit pellets. He then asked what type of treats I was giving him and if I had any calcium or vitamin supplements. I said that supplements were unnecessary and most often detrimental to chinny health and that all they need to thrive is a good fresh pellet and fresh hay. I told him all of the safe treat options since he asked if I gave him any Vitakraft or Kaytee treats (the ones with raisins, papayas, and peanuts! :hair:) and again I told him they were all crap. I told him most of my treats came in the form of wood chews with the occasional food treat.

He was so genuinely interested it was great! He said that he wanted to learn as much as possible since the store sells chinchillas and I of course, directed him to Chins & Hedgies! Speaking to him was surely a pleasant surprise!

When I went to check out, the manager was at the till and I told him that his new employee Corey was fabulous. Then the manager told me that Corey was actually going to be the new manager of the store! I definitely plan on going back to give him more suggestions about their chins and what to tell their customers if they're thinking about adding a chin to their family.

That experience basically just made my day! There's an ounce of hope for pet stores after all! :dance3:

WOW, I'm so glad that you had a good experience. It sounds like there may be some promise for that petstore.

For those who are in the area, it's the Petland on W.72nd between Columbus and Amsterdam :) I'll give him a bunch of info on items to stock up on for chinchillas!

Yay for Corey!!! The pet stores near me look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language. As much as it pisses me off, their stares make me giggle.

Yay for Corey!!! The pet stores near me look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language. As much as it pisses me off, their stares make me giggle.

I went to this same store a couple months ago to check out the chins and the one little guy they had was sleeping in his dust. So I brought someone over and started explaining why it's not good for them to have access to their dust 24/7 and the girl was like I know, I'm a vet tech. And I was like, oh so you're not dumb you're just lazy? Then they switched the dust bath house :tease:

At one, they leave the dust in there all the time. I've tried explaining but they just stare at me and normally I get a "yeah whatever". At the other store, they don't dust them and the chins eat the plastic toys and carefresh bedding. I've tried correcting them as well. They just go over, pick up a chin and hold her for a while and then put her down like all is well with the world.

Great story! :D Hopefully when Corey becomes manager he can get some good chin items in there!!

this is incredibly uplifting! i tend to keep faith that pet store employees DO care about the animals and Corey is a great example of those who do. i mean...why not be interested in what you do as a job?!

good job tats! most aren't as receptive to information but you handled that very well!

That's awesome! People usually don't hesitate to share bad experiences, but good ones are simetimes hard to come by. You may have helped their sales pick up for 2011!

this is incredibly uplifting! i tend to keep faith that pet store employees DO care about the animals and Corey is a great example of those who do. i mean...why not be interested in what you do as a job?!

good job tats! most aren't as receptive to information but you handled that very well!

Thanks Luci! I always pop in since it's a couple blocks from my job and 1 block from my subway station so it's super close. One of the employees is actually the dad of Watson's brother so I always ask him how his little fur butt is doing. Corey was beyond exceptional when it came to wanting to learn new information! I actually have to go by sometime soon to buy shavings and I'm gonna bring along a quick info sheet of products they should carry for chins!

I'm also gonna bring some apple and pear wood for the chin they have in the store since I noticed he doesn't have any chew toys. Watson won't mind I hope! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back