Edgar Has Grown!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazicat

It's been four months since we've gotten Edgar and he's been nothing but a joy. While he's not a snuggler he does love to run around and be with you. I am also amazed at how silky and beautiful his coat is. He's also grown to a very nice and round 616grams. Edgar also seems to be getting a little darker but it's so hard to tell. We don't really care because we know he's a cutie.

Here's a few photos... Also do you think he's a dark or extra dark ebony/ vc? I forgot to say the flash makes it hard to tell.

Attachments

• Edgar 4.09.10 ai.jpg
    Edgar 4.09.10 ai.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Edgar 4.09.10 bi.jpg
    Edgar 4.09.10 bi.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 52
  • Edgar 4.09.10 di.jpg
    Edgar 4.09.10 di.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I thought I would add Edgar's six month picture when he got his FN cage. He loves it and at first wouldn't let us take him out of it. Now his prime objective in life is to escape.

The only time he would stop was when he ate. It was interesting because it was a little like taming him again and reminded me that lasting bonds take a long time to build.

Attachments

• Edgar 3.9.10 ai.jpg
    Edgar 3.9.10 ai.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Edgar 3.09.10 bi.jpg
    Edgar 3.09.10 bi.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 29
If the black is being 'washed-out' by the flash, which is typical, I'd say he's a very nice extra-dark ebony!
What color is his 'undercoat'? [very fine hairs beneath the outercoat]

His hairs are black. The last two pictures were much more accurate.

I sent his pictures to his breeder and she would like me to show him. Since the next show is only a few hours away we are seriously considering it. Don't know where this will lead as Edgar is a pet to us but I am considering it for the future after lots of learning.

I'm not completely sure, but I think I see TOV veiling, which would make him a TOV ebony. Anyone else agree?

Last edited:
I saw it too, but took it as 'flash wash-out'!
Hard to tell!

He turned 7 mos on the 8th. He was bred by Chin Colores so I can't take any credit other than falling in love with him. Being new to chinchillas we follow the advice of those more experienced especially where diet is concerned. He's also spoiled rotten when it comes to a cage and toys so we have all the bases covered.

Here's another picture that's older but one of my favorites. It's Edgar and a 6" cholla log from PPBN.

Edgar12110.jpg

Right after a dust bath

Edgar21710d-1.jpg

Last edited:
He doesn't look TOV to me although sometimes ebony can cover that up pretty well, especially when they are dark/extra dark. It just looks to me like the normal darker grotzen area. Does he have BV in his pedigree?

He has a couple abbreviations in his pedigree I don't under stand. A couple are BA, TO, B, A, AVT and TOVAVT. I think this means he could be a TOV as he is very silky and seems veiled but I know next to nothing.

My batteries ran out on my camera but I am going to try and get better pictures.

Thank you all also for your opinions and help.

Hmm, other than ranch brands, other abbreviations on a pedigree will have to be asked of the breeder. I know of a few ranchers who have the first one or two letters of the color by each animal's ID number: for example CCHT X3 (B) for a beige or EBG V123 (HB) for homo beige. Other abbreviations are normally just for the breeder's own reference.

Is there TOV or BV by the parents' numbers?

Sounds like his dam was an eb, his sire was a violet and neither are TOV. You know, your breeder just showed an ebony violet carrier yesterday at the show who did pretty well. He/she was very big, not quite as bright and clear as the eb ahead of him/her, but had very nice fur quality. I wonder if it was Edgar's sibling!

I remember her saying Edgar was a breedback and a single kit. His mom, Shea, was on a break from breeding. I got to hold her and she was a very nice chin as well. Papa was in a run so we got to see him but not close up. I think that my breeder had some other ebonies she was growing out when we got Edgar.

Edgar was sold to us as an ebony vc that was very dark. Please remember that what I remember as to his exact color is fuzzy. We were in the middle of buying our first chin and very excited. All we cared about it him liking us. I really like our breeder and she has said that she doesn't mind my saying she's Edgar's.

Luck had a lot to due with us finding a great breeder since we had called a CL listing that fell through. I am often amazed to think that I have such a beautiful little guy.

He's gorgeous! I'm very quickly falling in love with the dark/extra dark ebony chins :heart3:

Ebony wasn't one of my favorite colors but there was just something about Edgar. I think I fell in love the moment I saw him. Personality wise I think he's perfect but he does have a knack for trying to get into trouble. I guess they are all just little clowns at times.

Back