Eating his bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadSteve

I couldn't decide which thread to post this under because it kind of falls under three.

We just changed our chins bedding from some pebble-y type thing to Kiln Dried Pine from Premier Pet.

It boasts all natural, triple screened and soft wood.

Now he seems to be eating/chewing (can't really tell, but it looks like eating) his bedding. He has plenty of food (pellets and hey) and plenty of water.

Thoughts? Do we need to run out and get different bedding right away?

I think the consensus is on here that it is no big deal for them to eat some, but if he seems to be eating it as a meal....maybe take it away. I had a wire floor and now I have fleece liners. My chins tried to eat the care fresh I had under the wire a time or two and I didn't let them. I am sure others responding can be more helpful, but meantime, if you are concerned, remove it.

My chins almost always eat what they chew (except lava bites). Cardboard and stuff gets swallowed, not shredded, so I am a little weary. Try giving him a fresh handful of hay to distract him. The shavings are very fine, at least, and it is better than the chunks or splinters they pull off of pine shelves or toys. So he should be fine.

He may lose interest in it soon, but he probably doesn't need to eat a bunch.

Last edited:
I use that as well. My boys will nibble on it as if it were an apple wood stick. I don't believe they are eating it much, just nibbling. I've been using it for more than a year with my previous chin and with the newer boys as well.

I use the KDP shavings in their litter boxes and usually when I change them, my one boy always grabs the bigger pieces and nibbles.

Mine really like it, and in the 2 cages with wire floors, I always put a handfull on top of the wire, just for their enjoyment!

Back