eat before neutering?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinch&Chilla

chin matchmaker <3
Wasn't sure which section to put this in... I have an appointment to get my chinchilla neutered. The vet that is performing the surgery told me that I should take away his food a few hours before surgery. Is there a valid reason for this? Could taking away his food for a couple of hours presurgery cause any kind of potential problems or does it not really matter that much?

I believe it could have something to do with the anesthesia being used. Maybe they don't want him to be nauseous? I've never had a vet tell me to do this before any chinchilla's surgery. So, I don't know what to say for sure. I'm sure someone else will know.

A few hours without feed will not hurt the chinchilla. Chinchillas go all day at shows with no feed and are fine.

The reason for anything not to eat before surgury is the anesthetic stops the gag reflex - should one regurgitate, you'd choke!!

They tell you to take away food for all animals, even people before a surgery and only give water. Anesthesia, like Rickman said, basically relaxes everything. For example, people with acid reflux sleep propped up, because if they were to sleep flat, the muscles in the esophagus relax when we are sleeping, and they would wake up with stomach acid in their mouth. Eww. It's the same thing that goes on here. They don't want his esophagus relaxing, causing food from his stomach to come up into his mouth and choke him (Though, chinchillas can't vomit, so I don't see how this is logical, but whatever).

Removing his pellets a couple of hours won't hurt him, just make sure he still has access to water.

Good Luck!

Since chinchillas cannot vomit it is pointless making them "Nil By Mouth" (no food) prior to surgery. If that is what the vet advised (and not the nurse or receptionist etc) then I'm afraid I'd be looking for a new vet. ;)

I found a little site on Chin surgery. I hope this helps. I put the info on the eating below but the link has lots of great stuff on operation.

It is very important you DO NOT starve a Chinchilla before an Operation, fasting overnight before surgery is used in Dogs and Cats to prevent vomiting while under anaesthesia, chinchillas cannot vomit and also starving before surgery is not only unnecessary because of this but it also causes the Chinchillas gastro-intestinal tract to slow down becoming prey to gastric shut-down and shock, becoming more of a risk during surgery and after. BUT if a Chinchilla is going in to have surgery on the intestines, liver or kidney/s the Veterinarian may state a Fast to reduce the intestinal contents. A Chinchilla MUST also be well-hydrated before surgery, this helps to lessen the risk of adverse effects.

http://www.hippo.co.nz/003145,0,0.mel

I've always assumed chins, like horses, can't vomit because of muscle tone in the esophagus. In theory, they could regurgitate a little while under anesthesia. At the university vet school, food is withheld from horses for a few hours prior to surgery as well. The other part is that if the stomach is enlarged, it could squash the lungs, making it harder to breathe. I don't recall what we did with rabbits/GPs/chins. A private practice vet I worked with who saw rabbits/GP/chins withheld food for about an hour before anesthesia, and as soon as all four feet were under them, offered food.

I would say a couple hours of no food would be ok for a chin, but not a whole lot longer than that. It shouldn't hurt the chin, but efforts need to be made to get it eating again very shortly after waking up.

Latest posts

Back