Dwarf girl for Linda

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas City Chinchillas

This girl was born 11-08-08, weight 540 grams. Her parents are both large chins.

IMG_4427_11.jpg

IMG_4435_11.jpg

IMG_4429_11.jpg

IMG_4432_11.jpg

How cute! Her face looks almost like a dwarf rabbit. I really like her markings too. Is there a recessive gene that makes dwarfs? Will she have dwarf babies if she is bred? Just curious.

Dwarfism is genetic and yes it's recessive. There are different types of dwarfism though and some are fatal. Dwarf females cannot be bred because their pelvic area is usually too small.

She's adorable and great pictures!

Sooooooooo pretty. She is like a super chin model!
I have a tiny boy and girl. by their weights, ages, and how they look like, can u tell if they r dwarfs?

Last edited:
Aww, what a sweetie! She has such a cute face!

I hope this isn't too off topic but... I don't know too much about dwarves or the types of dwarfism in chins but what characterizes this chin as a dwarf? Some dwarves I've seen have a very strong dwarf look to them and are very tiny. I notice her head is smaller in proportion to the body and also has a different "look" to the face... however, I have a boy who has a head shape like that but I always just thought his lines must have had that smaller face. He was also in the 500 gram range until he hit about two years, then started gaining and is now 700 g. His breeder is Vin Somavia and I'm pretty sure he doesn't breed for dwarves or small chins... so I'm guessing he probably came out of large parents like your girl.

DSC06231.jpg

DSC06240.jpg

Have the parents of your girl produced dwarves in the past? Or... is this a type of spontaneous dwarfism that was caused by a random mutation during development in utero?

Again, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread. I'm just curious!

Aww, what a sweetie! She has such a cute face!

I hope this isn't too off topic but... I don't know too much about dwarves or the types of dwarfism in chins but what characterizes this chin as a dwarf? Some dwarves I've seen have a very strong dwarf look to them and are very tiny. I notice her head is smaller in proportion to the body and also has a different "look" to the face... however, I have a boy who has a head shape like that but I always just thought his lines must have had that smaller face. He was also in the 500 gram range until he hit about two years, then started gaining and is now 700 g. His breeder is Vin Somavia and I'm pretty sure he doesn't breed for dwarves or small chins... so I'm guessing he probably came out of large parents like your girl.

Have the parents of your girl produced dwarves in the past? Or... is this a type of spontaneous dwarfism that was caused by a random mutation during development in utero?

Again, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread. I'm just curious!

Dwarf characteristics this girl has are the small chipmunk looking face, large thick upper hind legs, small front legs and somewhat shorter tail. Her hop is distinctively different from normal chins'. The characteristics are more apparent in person.

The parents have never produced a dwarf before and are both 800+ grams.

Your boy has the desirable brevi looking headshape and I don't see dwarf characteristics.

If a chin ever hits 700 grams it is not a dwarf. Probably just a slow grower, some lines and colors are like that.

Here are pictures of another dwarf born here in 2005. Her dwarf characteristics are easier to see, I think because she is standard grey in color. The color variation of agouti patterned fur allows you to see a more defined body shape.

b.jpg

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

b7.jpg

Cathy - They are both absolutely adorable, but you're right, you can really see it much better with the standard than the white.

Hi! Encouraged by the weight limit (lol) of 600, I weighed one of my chins, Liberatore (aka Tore). He weighed 564.
I adopted him in from Isabel in Odenton, Maryland, who was a breeder and originally from Germany. Some members on this forum helped her by receiving and hosting Tore, when Isabel flew him before she arrived to the US..
LTore is about 5 years old.. I think. He is a black velvet male with a short carly hair and very verbal!
Sorry for the terrible quality of my pics... Always. So ashamed before these amazing pix of photographers, but here r a few pics.
Do u think he is dwarf?
Thanks for evaluations!

Attachments

• Liberatore%202.jpg
    Liberatore%202.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Liberatore%201.jpg
    Liberatore%201.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Liberatore%203.jpg
    Liberatore%203.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 38
They are both so cute! Cathy, thank you so much for the pictures and the information, this was very helpful to those interested in dwarves, I speak as one of them!

Back