Doxycycline?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustbunnies

Mama of Pepper and Bunny
My vet prescribed Doxycycline (vibramycin) for a upper respiratory infection. Has anyone had success with this? He is out of town in a seminar until Monday and I can't ask him why he called in doxy and not Baytril. He knows I don't prefer Baytril but I know it is good for URIs. I had my chins there on Monday for a recheck and had him listen to their lungs because I heard both of them sneeze a couple times and wipe their noses more than average, but no discharge or lots of sneezes. He said their lungs sounded fine but to call if there is discharge. I saw snot on Bunny's nose today after a sneeze and called right away. They didn't get a hold of him for a couple hours and then he filled the Doxy. I asked why not Baytril ,but they said he just went into a seminar. They called this in just in time for me to get my neighbor to take me to get it. Do I need Baytril or should this work? I had some Sulfa but knew that wasn't really strong enough.

If I need Baytril I MIGHT be able to get them to ask him tomorrow. Meanwhile, they are both on the Doxy.

I just can't win here....lots of chin problems, vet problems to match, money problems till I'm more than broke....and I have been non-contagiously sick a lot. I am not doing anything that wrong.....things are just working against me lately. My babies are on the right food, in the right housing, with the right temp, etc.

It was really rainy here last week and the air quality felt so poor that I felt it hard to breathe. It stays 50 percent humidity and 69 degrees inside but there was no fresh air to be had. I guess that is how they got it. I empty their poo/hay mess everyday and wash the liners every third.

I would want Baytril for a URI, I would want the big guns so to speak. I hope you can get ahold of him tomorrow, he should be able to call it in for you, especially since you just saw him. I would demand it. It seems like you caught it in time, I would want to make sure it gets treated asap. Good luck, I hope things get better for you.

Doxy is a pretty darn hard-hitting antibiotic in its own right. I'd be a little concerned using it for chinchillas for just that reason: aside from the stomach problems it (and many other antibiotics) cause in humans, I've seen a lot of human patients complain of dizziness, light-headedness, etc. while on it as well. I don't know enough about veterinary medicine to hazard a guess as to why he called that in for you, but I'd definitely talk to him about it asap.

The dosage is 0.13mL of a 50mg/5mL solution.

I sure didn't think this would have been stronger than Baytril! I am a little concerned now.

Wow, Susan, you just read my mind...I had just PMed you!

I don't think he mixed them up. I didn't worry too much because it is on the safe list....but now I am worried.

I saw on another thread Tunes saying she hadn't had much luck with it, but nothing about the dangers.

I wish that I had experience with this so I could tell you if it would be a good option to treat a URI. I hope Peggy posts about her experience. It's always great to get more information about different antibiotics. I only use Albon, Baytril, Septra and maybe Gentamycin around here for different things...if something works better or has less side effects, I am happy to try it when a chin has a problem.

Well, I had just enough time to check on my way to get the medicine that it was indeed on the safe list. I think if it is determined to be risky or even under experienced we might should put a note by it on the sticky. I do hope to get Peggy's opinion on it soon...she has obviously used it, but not sure for what. I am sure she has used it with rats, too.

It would be nice to avoid Baytril, but only if this doesn't create bigger problems or impede healing.

Doxycycline is safe for chins. I've seen it used for bacterial infections in the past and I've used it myself. I have not personally seen any side effects. I know Riven has used it with success as well.

Thanks, Peggy. I guess I will give it a try. At first I thought it wasn't strong enough, but if it is strong enough to knock out the URI, then that's good. I am mad because I was right when I took them and he didn't think so. He thought I was paranoid I think.

Here is what I very first saw/heard....

Several days ago I was watching Pepper in the daytime. Pepper sneezed a couple times (while eating her poo), then wiped her nose, and after a few time of that, made a couple very faint squeaks ... It stopped at that and she was surrounded by chewed up lava bite and had recently walked around in an area that had some dust bath residue....I hoped it was just dust and junk. Then I thought I heard a similar thing from Bunny later that day. I took them in on Monday, but the vet said they were fine.

This afternoon.....I look at Bunny in her tube, see her yawn but then not close her mouth all the way. I take her out, look at her and don't see anything. After handling her for a minute she makes lots of little faint squeaks. She stops after a minute and I put her in her cage. She goes in her tube and then sneezes...then I see the snot.

I wish there had been some in between or that the vet had detected the problem....after all...I did. He is hard to get antibiotics out of. While I agree you do not want a chin on them when they don't need it....the second they need it....they need it. I sure hope I don't have to regret not insisting (or using the Sulfa I had already despite him). I couldn't afford to try any more vets at this point.

Oh, and...
Do I need to throw out their chew toys each day? or do any special cleaning?

I wouldn't throw out their chew toys, but I would keep the dust (bathing or shavings) to a minimum. If you don't use cage liners, it might not be a bad idea to try them for a bit until this clears up. Some chins aren't bothered by the dust, but others it really irritates the respiratory tract, so keeping it to a minimum helps.

I can withhold the dust for a while, no prob. I use fleece liners....washing them every three days (and cleaning up most poo and hay daily). I need to wash the fleece on Bunny's tube but she is always in it! I will make sure it gets a washing this time around, though. I try to keep it cold but not drafty....they are under a vent but the vent is deflected past the cage and there is a ferret nation shelf on top of the top level to make Bunny feel safer....so it isn't drafty in the cage. I don't know why they would be having problems. I use free and clear detergent and no softener (using free and clear softener on my own stuff).

I didn't know how re-infecting themselves worked in this case....that's why I asked about the toys.

I really need another set of liners (I don't have a change, I have to wash them while they sleep), but that money got spent at the vet.

I think my fiancee is going to buy a nicer filter for the A/C to help us all. My allergies are frequently bad....I wouldn't know if I had a cold. This recent rainfall and bad air got us all in the lungs, I think.

Thanks for the help, guys! I will let you know what I notice with doxycylcine and how my fuzzies progress. Right now I am hearing some strong sneezes and nose wipes but their eyes are still clear, thankfully.

What size is your pan? I can probably make you a back up and you can just paypal the $ when you get it. I have to make new ones for my chin this weekend anyway, won't be any trouble to add another to the pile if I've got some fleece you like. :)

I have an FN142 split into 2 sections (I think it is 36 x 25). I have jungle fun liners from quality mutation chins. I was going to get pooh bear ones to go in Bunny's part and use the jungle ones in Peppers (although, we have pretty much proven Bunny's skin irritation is not bite wounds, they are currently separated). I can do without them for a while more, they just think it is weird when I take them out for 2 hours to wash them. It may be a few weeks before I would have the $ anyway. I so appreciate your offer, that is so nice of you! I think I will hold out until I can buy the ones I want (or it will be that much longer before I can get those). Thank you SO much :)

Oh, sorry, I guess I was a little cryptic. No, that's alright. I appreciate your offer but I will wait. I think I might be able make my own in a couple weeks. You were very nice to offer to make them for me on credit.

Well, they are still having a little sneezing, squeaks (but not wheezing), and a little nasal discharge. They have been back to the vet and he doesn't think antibiotics are warranted. He thinks they didn't need the doxy but he was out of town and only had my call to go on. I don't know whether or not to believe him. Their eyes are okay and their lungs are clear....so we aren't too bad off. Are they just stuffy from the humid weather and it will clear up on their own? Or is this just BS? He gave me some Baytril to use at my discretion (....to shut me up) if it gets worse. I just don't know what to do. I researched the forum and pretty much only found evidence of mild symptoms being major problems.

I agree with my vet in that it is not good to use antibiotics if not needed...I am just not sure they are not needed.

Anyone have experience with a little respiratory issues that did not become infections?

I am trying very hard to make sure my babies are healthy!

If they are showing any signs of distress they are not all better. You need a new vet URIs can be bad and get bad quick. I would still be treating personally especially with nasal discharge

Yes, I am leaning that way. This is my fourth vet in 3 months. I have no more money.

He thinks they never had the infection and/or are capable of fighting off whatever it is on their own.

They didn't sneeze or have discharge while he was looking at them...of coarse. I have only seen a drop of discharge from Pepper once and Bunny twice total in 3 weeks of suspicion....I was looking pretty close/often.

I guess I am asking...can they have these symptoms without having an infection? (Such as a cold...which antibiotics won't help anyhow?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back