Doxycycline?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some have inquired as to my setup and how much air flow there is...

I live in a 1 bedroom apt and the chins are in the dining room which is completely open (the entire 11 ft) to the living room. I do have an FN pan on top of the cage and the vent above their cage is deflected to aim past their cage and not on it. Their liners get washed every 2-3 days. The ugly tent is their supervised play area. It has mesh on all sides with fleece on the bottom that gets washed with the liners.

Attachments

• 100_4710.jpg
    100_4710.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_4711.jpg
    100_4711.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_4712.jpg
    100_4712.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
What do you wash their bedding in? Do you use fabric softener? Is it possible that there is an irritant in something they are exposed to. Bedding, candles, cleaning supplies, etc.?

I am hesitant to continually treat anybody with antibiotics without a "real" reason to do so. You said there was discharge, but you haven't seen discharge lately?

I use all free and clear detergent with no softener and I use free and clear softener on my clothes. I don't burn candles or use any harsh cleaning stuff, particularly in that area.

Pepper had a nice "boogey" on her nose yesterday and Bunny had a little clear discharge Friday. Sometimes they make these very light peepy/squeaky noises through their nose off an on like they are a bit stuffy. I think I have seen Bunny breathing through her mouth a little while she was sleeping, but she may have just been comfy that way. They are sneezing several times through out the day and wiping their noses a lot. Their lungs are clear (says the vet).

There is just enough to make me concerned, and just little enough to make me sure it is an infection.

If they have any kind of squeaky or wheezy breathing, I would use the Baytril.

It is in the nose (and the vet didn't even hear it), but I hear it during the day some when I check on them and am close up to them. Like if Pepper sniffs near my ear, I sometimes hear little squeaks.

He prescribed 0.1mL twice a day for at least 10 days.

Last edited:
Last night Pepper was not herself. She was sneezing and squeaking a lot and looked unwell. During (a light) playtime instead of sitting on my knee, she sat up next to my leg, put her chin on it, sank down and sneezed several times letting me pet her. I gave her the Baytril. She was not acting herself. She is still eating and drinking, though there was a small decrease in poops. I am keeping an eye on that and will probably giver her some OCC tonight to help her out. I have some Reglan in case it gets to that point. I have lifeline and primadophilus...giving that 4 hrs after the Baytril.

I don't know how they got the infections/problems, as they are in a cool, clean, open environment, but I don't think it is going away on its own.

I hope I made the right call, but I am in for it now.

The dosage is 0.13mL of a 50mg/5mL solution.

I sure didn't think this would have been stronger than Baytril! I am a little concerned now.

Hmmmm, I've been treating a little one here for a URI. Vet perscribed .13ml for a 25/mg/5mL mixture. This perscription is significantly less strong than the one perscribed you.
Anyone happen to know the dosage for this strength? There was no accompanying material with the meds.
I have to admit, so far I am not impressed. Little Prada is not responding yet and it's been three full days now and this stuff was EXPENSIVE (About $45 for a 60mL bottle). I hope it turns out well worth the cost.

Are your chins near a draft?After this clears up,may I suggest using collodial silver(awsome stuff!) in your water bottle.You can get it from Roger & Kathy Clark in Colorado.There e-mail is [email protected].
Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back