dog questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieJJ

chinnies215
I love dogs and really want to have a dog of my own. But, I'm really confused as to HOW people have dogs.. All of the adoption forms I see and information I read seem to imply that a dog can't be home for 8 hours alone a day. How do people have dogs as pets then? I just don't understand! I'm really not trying to be sarcastic or anything here. I can understand the need of a puppy for someone to be home all the time or away for not more than 2 hours a day, which is why I've decided that I don't want a puppy.

Is there any hope for me to get a dog?

by kennel, do you mean crate? there is an adorable 4.5 year old corgi mix at a nearby shelter that is crate trained that I would love to adopt

There's hope. I ran into the same thing when I tried to go about adopting a dog... you'd think that the only people who could ever have dogs are the people that sit home and never leave the house, right?

My dog stays in her crate for the 8ish hours when I'm gone. I let her out until I come home, and she goes back in when I leave... she's fine. No harm done.

Just make sure you get the right dog for your lifestyle. Obviously you don't want a Blue Heeler or other dog with a high activity level if he/she is going to be home alone 8 hours a day.

My dogs are outside during the day, weather permitting. In warmer weather (spring, summer, early fall), in the morning I visit with them for a bit before they go outside. They're out in the yard for 8-12 hours a day. Mostly they just sleep, chase bird out of the yard and growl at the UPS truck. In the evening when I get home from work, my sister and I take them for a walk. When we get back, they stay outside to eat, drink and do their business before coming in. Then they socialize with the family for a few hours, go out for a quick potty break, then go to bed. On my days off or when I work short shifts, we go to the park, swimming in the creek, hiking, or I just sit outside with them and read .

In the winter its harder. The dogs go out for a potty break in the morning and come back in until the last person to leave goes to work. Then they either go out for the day, or if its too cold they go out for a potty break then come back in until someone gets home for work. If needed, I have a couple neighbors who can come let them out for a few minutes. Then when I get home from work, we play in the house or have the occasional snowball fight. Once the roads turn icy its not safe to walk so we have get a little creative with finding ways to entertain the dogs so they don't go stir crazy. In the winter they get to go on short trips to the grocery store. Its cool enough to leave them in the car for a few minutes and it gives them a little outing, which they enjoy.

Its very possible to have a job and a dog. You just have to come up with a routine that works for you.

Maybe you need to look someplace else for a dog then, no sarcasim meant there. BUt dogs are fine leaving them for 8 hours while you are at work. I hate that people say you can't do that, it's not good for them. As long as you give him playtime when you are home, the dog will be fine. Or you can always just say he won't be home along for that long of a period, they aren't gonna come and check on you. good luck.

I may just contact the shelter and be completly honest and let them know the situation. If they really feel that the dog would be better off elsewhere then I'll start to look into breeders. I am capable of walking a dog for an hour in the morning after I've fed him then putting him in a crate until I get home 8 hours later. Then the dog would be out for 8 hours, we'd do a walk, hang out, play, and he'd go back in his crate for the night. When I was looking after my brothers dogs when he was away we did a walk in the morning after breakfast, then we played after work--I had so much fun that week!

The only problem I see with breeders is they usually offer puppies, or so I think they do. Do breeders ever have older dogs available?

I will probably get a bunch of shame on you's and how dare you but..

I am going to be completely honest with you. They CAN go longer than 8hrs. I work two counties over and its almost an hour drive to get there.. And I dont normally just work 6 hour shifts. I can work anywhere between 8-16 hours at a time. I also work at night so they are sleeping while I am away. I feed and give them a good 1-2hour long run/playtime before I leave and then I leave for work. If Im gone more than 12 hours, Ill call someone to let them out in the middle of that shift to feed them again and let them potty. Then when I get home(whether someone stopped by or not) they get fed again get about a 45min-1hr playtime outside and lots of loving and we cuddle up in bed. Then on my days off Im home all day with them.

They are in kennels with pillows and a water bottle while I am away. Is it the best situation? No but these two pups were street muts and they have a pretty spoiled life. i just have to sometimes work to suppose the gang.

You are not a bad person if you have to work or run errands or even have an emergency where you have to leave for several hours. Crap happens. As long as they are not being starved and left in the kennel with their pee and poop for the entire day and they are healthy and happy you are doing to do just fine.

I agree, you just need to find a dog to fit your lifestyle. You're not going to want a dog that has tons of energy. Working with a rescue would be a great idea because they know the energy level of the dogs being adopted out.

Some breeders will have older breeding dogs available.

I think that most people end up having to leave their dog at home while they work. I'm lucky in that I work from home so the dogs get to be out all day. I do know they're happier, and Lila isn't so crazy from all her pent up energy, but you're not abusing your dog by having to go to work each day.

And as much as we all hate it, there is always Craigslist. They won't put you through the guilt trip. Those are just people who want a new home for their baby.

the adoption agency is probably just trying to make sure that you are not irresponsible and that you wont leave your pet hours on end. Reality is most people leave their dogs at home while they work.
when i had 2 dogs & they were little & i worked nearby i would go home every day at lunch and give them kisses and let them out. but there were times i didnt and they were fine.
i think the agency just wants to make sure the dog goes to a good home.

I volunteer for a rescue and, even though it is on our application, we don't hold it against anyone for being away to go to work every day. I think it is more to get a feel for your daily routine and if a particular dog will fit. EX: we wouldn't recommend a high energy pup to somebody who worked all day, but just about any reasonably quiet adult would be just fine.
If there is an adoptable dog you are interested in, go for it!!! Don't let the application scare you off.

Thanks for all the opinions! I feel a lot better about the whole work/dog thing now :) I think in the next year or so I'll be working on getting a dog! I'm pretty excited! But I think that I have to wait for a few bills to disappear and save up an emergency vet fund before I dive in. Almost there! I can't wait to get a doggy!

Another option is a dog walker. Or maybe a kid in your neighborhood could let the dog out for a couple of bucks. Get a number of someone and suggest to the adoption center that you have a dog walker lined up if need by.
I have two dogs, a lab and a beagle mix, if I need to be out for that long they do fine.

I saw an ad on craigslsit this morning for a dog walker for the humane society near my house. I responded! I'm excited! I think this will be good, I can meet the dogs there and get to know them and if I really fall in love with one then I can adopt :)

Latest posts

Back