Does anyone see TOV in thse kits?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuddlebug

I have two kits that have the same sire. The sire is a medium to dark tan, that I thought might be TOV but if he is, he is a poor example of it. Anyway, the first kit is a little beige girl (the picture makes her look darker than she really is, but she is noticeably darker than her siblings).. The other one is a very light tan boy. These kits were one solid color at birth and have darkened with time. They are both 6 weeks old.

Attachments

• zoeweb6weeks.JPG
    zoeweb6weeks.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 120
  • nathanweb6weeks.jpg
    nathanweb6weeks.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 112
The both look like at the moment weakly veiled TOVs, but since they have darkened maybe it might fill out better with age.

The first one looks TOV, the second one I'm not so sure one, but they both look like they have really weak fur and need a bath.

If you have a picture of the father to post you could get opinions on him as well.

The first one looks to have similar dark masking as my brown velvet at that age although not as strong but i definatley think there is something there.

Is there black velvet/TOV anywhere in the sire's pedigree?

The first kit does look TOV to me. The second... kind of hard to tell at this point. They don't have very strong TOV veiling but if so, the veiling should come in over time... although if the parents weren't very well veiled, they may never have complete veiling coverage.

I was always taught that you first go by the mask around the eyes and on face on tov beige and black. The mask should totally surround the eyes. Based on that I would say a definite yes to the first. For white tovs it is harder to tell.

The first one looks TOV. The second I'd say is probably just getting darker and the veiling will likely even out to match the current face color...just my guess though.

The sire is a medium to dark tan and has TOV on his dam's side. (The sire's dam is an extra dark ebony and has a grandparent that was TOV. Everything after this was an extra dark ebony, so it could have been hiding in there). The sire is poorly veiled at best. If fact, I had decided that he was not TOV and then these two kits show up. I have seen people post pictures of tans that look like him and say that the animal was TOV. I will get a current picture of the sire so that you can give me your opinions on him. The last picture that I took of him was when he was about 9 months old. He has darkened a lot since then and I don't think he looks TOV to me. That's why these kits are throwing me for a loop. Oh, I almost forgot, these are not rescues. I have pedigrees on both parents of both litters. The lighter one has a homo beige mother that I bought from Bowen's Ranch and the darker one has a medium ebony mother. I'll have to check to see where I got her, I don't remember off hand but I can assure you that I do not breed rescues.

Back