Do you think... ( your own opnion)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can you take your chin out side ???

• No cause they can over heat

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Yes only if they were going into an air conditoned car

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • yes don't see why it wouldn't hurt

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • NO what's wrong with you? are you nuts??? a chin can die of heat stroke

Votes: 18 26.9%

• Total voters
I've only ever taken her outside to bring her from a house to the car and vice versa. She was in a cage but she seemed to get all excited and sniff the wind. I thought she would be terrified but I'm not sure she was. If they were on the ground outside with no roof, I would worry about a bird snatching them up or a dog or cat, other than them hopping away to never be seen again. Also, I would worry about what they would chew on or eat. But, if they were in a playpen and weren't exposed to anything dangerous, I guess I can't find anything wrong with it, if the chin wasn't freaking out. I personally wouldn't chance it but I'm interested to see other's responses.

I tried it once with Little Dude some years back. It was a very COOL FALL day and I put his playpen outside. He freaked out. I brought him back inside and never tried it again.
My chins rather enjoy the playpen with fun cardboard boxes to run through along with their cage home and the dust bin. To them nothing changes. The indoors offers the same smells, sights and sounds. It's home. And my gang actually like to hear my voice too. They are goobers popcorning and having fun without having to worry about something EATING THEM.

No I don't bring my chins outside and it is not just because of the weather. I have hawks, owls, fishers, coyotes etc in the area. Even in a cage, they can be tormented to death.

Letting them out loose outside, even carefully supervised, is definitely a no no because chinchillas are fast!. You think you could always catch them but if they dive under some brush or woodpile, they could be gone forever.

Your poll isn't accurate. A simple "No" would have been a better choice. It isn't just about heat. It's about predators (as mentioned), toxins in the grass (from spraying), possibilities of escape, etc.

So no, I don't take my chins out except from the house to the car and back again.

My chins go in the car for moving, vet office or shows. I don't think it's ok to take chinchillas to the pet store, park, animal adoption events, etc. Chinchillas just aren't cut out for all of the activity and movement outdoors.

Don't forget the common excuse for justifying taking the chins out to explore the world. That is, WILD chinchillas are outside.

I've had many people call me devastated with chins that have been eating by dogs, cats and have even drowned in the pool. Captive bred chins do not have the instincts for being out in the open outside. They get so scared and nervous...they aren't wild and do not put up with it well. Well, that and like Peggy said, there's a lot of danger outside with toxic substances and with the very good chance that you may lose your chinchilla as it freaks out and runs away. Yikes...that makes me so nervous to just think about.

No chins outside.

Well to be honest yes you can take your chin outside--you can take anything you keep inside outside they question should be SHOULD you and not CAN you.

Chins should be caged animals, they should be not be allowed to roam free in your home because of the harm that can befall them, just as they should not be taken outside for the same reason.

Predators and the heat aside, has anyone ever seen how fast a chin can run? If you think you'll be able to catch a chin that's been let loose outside, you are sadly mistaken.

I would never take any of my chinchillas outside unless they were in a traveling cage and going into the car. That is way too stressful for them, not to mention possible overheating, not to mention that we have a billion bobcats where I live, as well as free-range dogs (they are the neighbor's), foxes, hawks... The list could go on.

Predators and the heat aside, has anyone ever seen how fast a chin can run? If you think you'll be able to catch a chin that's been let loose outside, you are sadly mistaken.

I didn't even think about that, but it's a great point - Bessie would be gone in sixty seconds.

Sixty Seconds? Is she really slow? :p (I'm just joking, don't get too mad at me!)

A chin would be gone in about four seconds. Up a drainpipe, through the fence, under the bushes, out into the street under a car...etc etc. Those little hoppity legs would propel a chin into all sorts of unknown badness.

NO CHINS OUTSIDE! Don't keep them in their cages outside, don't take them outside without a carrier... (I just need to make sure that nothing can be misconstrued as permission to take a chin outside for any reason other to get him from point A to point B when necessary!!)

Thank you ladies and gents for giving your opnions on this matter. it helped alot and made me more right when i posted what i was saying on the other forum. mime ever only go from house to car and the a/c is on ... thanks again guys :) ;)

I agree with everything said I wanted to add that a harness and leash will not work. Their little ribs are like toothpicks and will break while they try to jump/escape on a leash.

I would say no to taking chins outside. My first thought would be predators. Anything from hawks and eagles to cats, dogs, coyotes, etc. I would certainly never consider having them run loose. They are just too unpredictable, too fast, and can spook too easily to trust having them run around loose. A pen makes for a safer environment, but without a bottom to cover up the grass/ground, then they are exposed to whatever has possibly contaminated the ground. Mushrooms, feces from any number of domesticated or wild animals. If you had a pen with a bottom and a top, you are still subjecting your chin to unfamiliar sounds and smells, which really could stress out the chin. I think it is better for the chin, in the long run, to have one safe environment. I don't think they are missing out at all from being kept indoors.

just want to say that theres a video online about a chinchilla on a playground. to make it worst there was a drop with a POOL that the chin came close to falling into. and there was a kid that kept nudging the chin with his foot to make it go down the slide and at the bottom of the slide there was a drop that the chin could have gotten hurt from. and the kids were wearing shorts which means it was hot outside so the chin easily could have overheated. and the poor chin looked so scared it just broke my heart. ugh people make me mad!!! just wanted to rant for a sec.

Way too risky IMO, all the reasons have already been stated but at the top of my list is the possibility that the chin will find a way to escape outside. The likelihood of retrieving a chinchilla that's escaped to the outside world is practically nothing.

When I see videos like that online, I report them for animal abuse (via youtubes report filter) and then I leave a nasty, scathing comment. I'm brutal. I donb't even care if I'm swearing at some kids...if they're going to post some terrified animal video, I'm going to speak my mind and tell them what a *ahem* they really are.

just want to say that theres a video online about a chinchilla on a playground. to make it worst there was a drop with a POOL that the chin came close to falling into. and there was a kid that kept nudging the chin with his foot to make it go down the slide and at the bottom of the slide there was a drop that the chin could have gotten hurt from. and the kids were wearing shorts which means it was hot outside so the chin easily could have overheated. and the poor chin looked so scared it just broke my heart. ugh people make me mad!!! just wanted to rant for a sec.

Back