Do you think... ( your own opnion)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can you take your chin out side ???

• No cause they can over heat

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Yes only if they were going into an air conditoned car

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • yes don't see why it wouldn't hurt

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • NO what's wrong with you? are you nuts??? a chin can die of heat stroke

Votes: 18 26.9%

• Total voters
I've taken mine outside because it was far to warm inside the house but was cooler outside. They were in a confined area where they couldn't get to the grass and dig them selves out and the top of it was covered and held in place so they couldn't escape.

They loved it, they were pop-corning and such. I took them out a few times this summer, but only when supervised and when I knew they weren't in any danger. If I seen or sensed any they went straight back in to the pet carrier and back inside.

I've read too many stories about predators attacking cages to consider it. It's also Edgar's goal in life to escape so if he were to get free outside it would be terrible. Since I am the one responsible for keeping him safe I don't ever let him outside except in his travel cage to and from his the car.

I dont know if this counts as "ouside" but we have a sort of sun room and my oldest male chin is one of those few who will sit on my shoulder come **** or high water. I mean I open the cage door and hes on my shoulder before I get the door all the way open. He gets to sit with me in the sunroom in the lawnchair when I read, but that is the extent of his going out side except from the house to the car. He is the only one who ever goes out there. Basicly the room is just a giant screen with a roof.

Sometimes I take my chins outside when it's cool and comb them. Or, I just have them sit on my lap and cuddle with them. They do not roam free.

I'm WAY too paranoid to take my chins outside for anything other than a car trip. First, I live out in the country, and there are TONS of predators eager for a chinnie snack (including my outdoor cat). Second, I live near the woods, fields, and a somewhat busy road - the chin would be doomed if she got away! Third, I see no point - my chins are not wild chins, so it's not like they know what they're missing. There was a member on the forum who insisted that taking her chin on hikes was a good idea, but why traumatize the chin? Car rides only, and then only to the vet, moves, or (once a year, and then only one of my seven) to school.

Back