~Do you have a back up cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a back up cage?

• Yes!

Votes: 88 88.0%
  • Not on hand but I can borrow one

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • NO

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • other? please explain

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

~SG~

Orchestrating Chaos
A recent conversation got me to thinking so I thought I'd post a poll and see how many our there do or don't have a back up cage?

I always have a extra empty cage on hand for emergencies. You never know when you'll need to separate a chin for behavior or health reasons or something could go wrong with your cage......... Better safe then sorry I have 3 empty cages right now but I have a lot of critters LOL I always look for cages at yard sales
:thumbsup:

I have a carrier in case of an emergency. My current cage collapses and I'll keep it on hand after I get my FN.

My back up cage is being used as a temp cage at my parents house when I bring Chloe home. But I have her old small cage if she was hurt and couldn't stay in her normal one. I bring her home in that cage. I really want to get a metal carrier, like one from Quality Cage because her old cage is small, but big enough to be clumsy when trying to get through doors and open car doors while holding. I always bump it into stuff and I'd like a smaller carrier because I think it may actually be more calming and safer as I can secure it better to the seat.

i have a small carrier cage for an emergency, it would make due until I could get a larger one if need be.

My second cage (and what would have been a full sized back up) is at my parents house, for when we travel out there.

I have the Tala and Groo's cage they came with (one of those tall Superpet ferret cages) as a backup. It's tall enough that I could easily partition it off into a few sections and put all 3 in it short term. I've also got a little tiny one I use to confine a chin for cleaning or whatnot.

I absolutely have back up cages. You never know when or if a pair will need to be separated. I also have carriers to get everyone out in an emergency.

I forgot to mention I live in earthquake country. Carriers are a must here. I also have an earthquake kit made up just in case.

Though Trixie is my only chin, I do not need it for separation issues, but I do have my single story old guinea pig cage if there were an emergency or problem with her cage., It is long, and would work on the short term, but I would not keep her in it longer than a day or two. I also have a cat/small dog carrier if it was an issue of needing to evacuate the house in an emergency.

Yes, I always have back-up cages available.

I also have metal/wire carriers which can hold 33 chins separately and 10 dog/cat carriers which can house multiples (pairs, trios, mothers with kits, etc.).

I have several (like 5?) empty runs that can be used as back up cages if needed. Also have 2-3 normal sized cages that sit empty unless needed.

For carriers, I have 2 - 6-hole Ryerson carriers, 1-3 hole Ryerson carrier, and then some cat carriers. And some show cages and quarantine cages which are tiny, but would suffice if needed to grab the chins and get out the door.

I have a couple extra cages that are small but could be used in an emergency should I ever need to separate any of my girls. My two main cages are QC mansions and they area both being used.

I have two FN142's (one with the add-on) so chins can be separated, two show cages, three carriers, one cage from a chinchilla starter kit (not a bad cage, actually), one old cage, and one collapsible, very large cage.

ALWAYS be prepared!!! :)

I have a back up cage in case two chins don't get along all of a sudden. I also have a ten hole carrier and two four hole carriers handy in case of emergency such as a fire etc... (I have 17 chins right now)

I only have one chin, so no separation needed, but I have temp carriers if I have to move Tink from one location to another, or in case of emergency. It would work temporarily until I could get another cage.

Back