Do chinchillas dilate?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
I was looking through various chinchilla websites today, just browsing like I always do, when I ended up on Youtube watching a video of a chinchilla giving birth. She only had one, but this was a HUGE baby. Now with how small a chinchillas vagina is, I would imagine nothing that big would have fit. So then I was wondering if a chinchilla dilates similar to the way humans do when giving birth? :hmm:

It's not the vagina that dilates, it's the cervix, the vagina stretches. I believe the cervix dilates all live birth animals to allow the fetus to pass.

everything that gives birth dialates. Females dialate (open) and the cervix becomes effaced (goes away/softens up) A goos rule of thumb is for basic biology if it happens in one animal it can/does happen in others, all the same complications occur in any animal. Eutopic pregnancies, breach births etc...It is all similar in function in mammels

So...do both cervices dilate then?

Yes. Cervical dilation is caused by hormones and uterine contractions. The body doesn't distinguish between the cervices; it doesn't say, "oh, I'd better make sure the left cervix opens but the right one stays closed".

That makes sense, Min.. it explains how you can end up with a fully formed kit and a premature kit from two separate pregnancies in the same chin delivered at the same time.

Back