dividing a single level fn cage into 2 sections

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone have any ideas how to divide a single level ferret nation/critter nation cage into 2 sections so you can temporarily separate chins - like a male from a female,etc??

you could make a large shelf all the way across, a full 'floor', halfway up. wouldn't give the chins much room to hop and jump, but if it is temporary, that should be ok.

Do you still have the metal grate that goes across the middle or is the cage wide open? There's a little door and latch on the grate that you can flip up to close off the sections, then get a Bass Equipment pan with no cut out and place in the middle. You can also use the original plastic pan and put a chiller over the cut out area if you don't want to use a Bass pan.

I think if your trying to split a single level FN then the best option would be to use a large piece of wood cut to have a tight fit and would be bolted into place from the back, top and bottom. This would create a solid surface for separation rather than using a wire mesh of any sort. If trying to separate male and female then a single row of wire may not stop them from breeding, or from reaching through the wire to grab at one another. But then for the price of the wood and hardware you might be better off just buying a cheap cage to have on hand for emergencies as a back up.

I have used hardware cloth to separate a one level. I cut one of the plastic pans in half and attached the hardware cloth to the top and bottom bars of the cage. This way when you open each door you are basically opening one "cage". I hope that makes sense. I did have some chinnies try to chew each others toes through the 1/4 in. openings though, so this option may work even better.
I think if your trying to split a single level FN then the best option would be to use a large piece of wood cut to have a tight fit and would be bolted into place from the back, top and bottom. This would create a solid surface for separation rather than using a wire mesh of any sort. If trying to separate male and female then a single row of wire may not stop them from breeding, or from reaching through the wire to grab at one another. But then for the price of the wood and hardware you might be better off just buying a cheap cage to have on hand for emergencies as a back up.

If you have the shelves that came with the cages you can out two in the cage directly across from each other and use a fleece liner over top to cover the plastic.

Latest posts

Back