critical care???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintistatern2005

Ok so I am having to feed my chin critical care and the stuff they gave me is green they said they didnt sell apple bananna. It says professional line on the bottom of the bag. He will hardly take it at all. I maybe got aprox 15ml in him today since getting back from the vet. I ordered the apple bananna from menagerie today on here but because of the holiday i wont get it probably until thursday. Is there anything i can do? Do only vets sell it?

You can get probiotics from a health food store, you would want one that counts in the billions, not just millions. And give it I think 4 hours after the antibiotic if you're giving one.

You could try adding just a touch of blackstrap molasses to the CC which may make it taste better. It has to be blackstrap though, not regular, because blackstrap doesn't have the extra sugar in it.

Or have you tried feeding it different ways, like off of a dish or spoon?

Hand feeding is often called force feeding for a reason. Generally if the chin wanted to eat it wouldn't be on CC. Try often and hard, they need it.

Probiotics should be given appx 2 hours after antibiotics or they'll just cancel each other out basically.

You could also try adding in some yogurt. Although the plain CC seems gross to use, it's basically crushed up pellets, the smell is anise and it is good for digestion and most chins actually like the taste. The banana is green in color as well, just has different flavors in it.

Just want to point out - the probiotic won't cancel out the antibiotic, but the antibiotic will cancel out the probiotic.

And Nicole is right, force feeding has earned it's name for a reason. But if you don't feed your chin, and it isn't eating on it's own, it will die.

Yes nothing is working. I have to wear a glove cuz he keeps nipping me. I am going to run out and get the molasses and try that till maybe tomorrow i can get the other kind from the vet. He's not even drinking. I am force feeding him water by syringe. Thats not going good at all. I dont know what to do. I am going to call the vet tomorrow cuz none is open today.

i dont know what to tell you about the critical care but
:( good luck !! and i really hope all goes well with this situation.

Sorry, I was typing and listening to kids, lol. Peggy is right, the antibiotic is not canceled out, the probiotic will be though if given to close to the antibiotic.

I guess I'm out of loop, why are you feeding? Is there weight loss? Are you measuring feed?

Yes i posted another thread on here under emergency's. If you wanted to read it. My boyfriends son was watching them play downstairs and he heard a squeal and then smokey was lying on his side lethargic and his nose was bleeding, he wasnt sure if it was coming out of his mouth to. So we took him to the vet and she knew nothing. She thought possible head trauma, and sent us home with metacam and nose drops. Never did a xray. So then all that day he wouldnt eat or drink, i am weighing his food and marking his water bottle. He wasnt peeing or pooping either. So sunday we took him to another vet who said he has like a blockage in his belly. Dunno!! He said possible trauma to the nose is why it was bleeding. So he gave sub-q fluids, ordered reglan. and also gave him an injection of penicillin G, he sent us home with penicillan to give as an injection. Tunes said chins can't have penicillin so i didnt give the injection today and i am calling them tomorrow. He seems better not lethargic but he's sleeping all the time. He still not eating or drinking so i am feeding critical care per the vet. It is not going well at all. He is losing weight. Tomorrow i am calling the vet and probably taking him back in. They told me to call if he's still not drinking. So this is why im force feeding. I am wondering if it is bloat?

Last edited:
Okay, I remember reading about that now.

I would see about finding another vet, are their any others in your area who have chins who might recommend a vet? Amanda is in Bowling Green area I believe, is that close? She might know of someone.

Reglan and propulsid need to go together usually, although it depends on where the blockage is, one works the upper, the other works the lower.

If this was my chin this is what I would do ( disclaimer - I am not a vet, what works for me might not work for you, etc, etc. )

I would not be on an anti-biotic unless there is an infection or a reason for it, it's just adding more stress to the body.

Probotic every 4 hours ( acidophilus is good you can't OD on it) , simethicone ( baby drops ) one full dropper every four hours, and hand feeding every 2 hours when possible to get at least 60 grams total of food in per day. Free feed hay and pellets, and weigh daily. Be sure to weigh at the same time daily as weight fluctuates throughout the day. Offer one or two plain shredded wheats if they will take it, anything in (other than high sugar) is good and will help whet the appetite.

If you are not noticing any drinking you can try to sweeten it with some non-sweetened apple juice to help induce drinking. Massage the belly before hand feeding by gently rubbing in a circular motion moving up and down the abdomen. At first chins may be uncomfortable with this, but they quickly learn to like it. Due to the previous/initial injury I would try to keep him in his cage, where as normally I would suggest free play to get the gut moving.

I would give half doses of metacam, in my personally experience I don't use a lot of metacam because I truly think that chins need to feel some of the pain to help them from over doing it and causing more damage. I treat myself the same way.

Bloat does not cause the feeling of a mass in the belly. I am assuming he/she felt this by palpating. There are two types of bloat, hard bloat and soft bloat. With hard bloat the entire belly feels firm and full, with soft it feels soft and squishy.

As Tunes said no Pen. if your vet wants to do an antibiotic ( question him on why he is, it is only good to fight bacterial infections and most have the side affect of decreasing appetite ) to do a TMZ or sulfa based.

When hand feeding an adult be sure to make the mix thin enough it squirts out of the syringe fairly easily. Be sure to get the tip of the syringe past the check pouches, sometimes you may need to encourage swallowing by tipping their head up, gently blowing in the nose, or gently rubbing the throat in a downward motion. Generally after a couple days of getting food in they will get their appetite back and be more helpful for you!

Latest posts

Back