Crazy day

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viciousalice

Well we ended up with 2 more chinchillas today (still picking up the three on Tuesday too!!) A friend of ours that breeds chins was on CL today and saw an ad for 2 chinchillas that she was pretty sure she sold to someone 2 or 3 months back. She contacted them and sure enough it was them. She ended up buying them back for $100 and called me because she knew we were looking for a Pink White female.

She sold them to us for $100 and we got their cage dust bath/dust and the rest of their food (so we can switch them over to Mazuri) The food they had them on was crap, lots of treats, dyes and just crap! It looks like they took a pair of sheers to one of them.... It's just so aggravating. They are great looking none the less, love the pattern on the mosaic! So after all is said and done, we have 2 pedigreed chins, cage and stuff for an awesome price. We'll get them up to a good weight and see what happens! We're super excited!! We finally ordered some Lifeline and Dyne from Chocolate Chinchillas (can't wait for it to come in!) These little girls need to gain some weight!

Here are some pics!
Nickoloas
DSC_0264.JPG

DSC_0266.JPG

Yvette
DSC_0268.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

Hope they'll do well for you! :)

I hate to tell you this, but that cage is NOT safe for chinchillas. I used to have 3 of them, and the spacing on the bottom grate is way to large for chinchilla feet. I see members pop up with this cage every so often, and I wish my boyfriend's computer hadn't crashed because we lost some pictures that show just how dangerous it is. One of our chins got a foot caught, and the vet had to cut her out of it. It was an absolute miracle that she didn't break any bones, but she was very cut up and sore for weeks. Even with the shavings in there, or a fleece liner, chins can dig underneath and be exposed to the large spaced grate.

In order to make this cage safe you'd need to remove the bottom grate and repalce it with hardware cloth (we attached it to the metal frame with metal clamps. Additionally all of the plastic shelves and ramps need to be removed because they are an impaction hazard. Even with those modifications some chins will reach out through the bars and chew the lip of the plastic base (It's happened to me, so yes it is possible).

Last edited:
I actually contacted the people who had them today, she said that she did clip them because her son was playing with them and got food or gum stuck in their fur, and she didn't want to just clip the part that was gunky because they would look silly -.- it took a lot for me not to scream at her. We are in the process of changing cages completely! :)

good to know that these poor chins now have a good home! You should post pics again in a few months time so we can see how good the change was for them!

People never cease to amaze me with the things they do. I'm sure theres an easier way to get gum out of something. Please do keep us posted with how they do. I cant wait to see pictures of how great they will look. Its wonderful that they are in great hands now!

I'm glad you were able to take them. You'll have to post some pictures in a couple of months so we can see how beautiful they have become! The Life Line will help a lot in getting them to absorb more from their food. I use it for underweight rescues all the time and it helps tremendously.

Sometimes when you talk to the previous owners it's just better to not say anything or scream even if they deserve it.

I still say its fur chewing, no matter what story the person said. Does not matter though since they are rescues.

It is super hard not to... but you just have to think, most people who impulse buy never truly do the type of research they need, they don't think to ask a vets advice either, they just do what the pet store tells them and assume its right : / Thats most of the reason I do not work in a pet store anymore, too many people giving bad advice and just not caring. Thanks guys for the well wishes, I will have to put up pics of the entire herd before and after shots when we get the lifeline :D

I actually contacted the people who had them today, she said that she did clip them because her son was playing with them and got food or gum stuck in their fur, and she didn't want to just clip the part that was gunky because they would look silly -.- it took a lot for me not to scream at her. We are in the process of changing cages completely! :)

Gum stuck in their fur!?!?! GAHHHHHHHH!:banghead:

People never cease to amaze me with the things they do. I'm sure theres an easier way to get gum out of something.

Actually there is. It might have been tricky to keep the chins from eating it themselves (would probably have to keep their head still until you got it out) but peanut butter will actually dissolve chewing gum. I know this from experience because, well... middle school + long hair = nightmare. Needless to say, I never had to cut my hair, just sit while my mom put peanut butter in it which probably explains why I can't stand the smell and avoid eating it. (peanut butter and mint chewing gum smelled nasty together.)

At least the chins won't have to deal with the abuse anymore. I'm sure they're much happier now as every chin should be.

Back