Could this cause stress?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

Does the noise of me blowing dry hair cause chin a stress? It might sounds weird so here is the story.

I just start going to the pool every night at 8 for work out which was gizmo's playtime. So, I let him out while I'm drying my hair instead. Is this ok? The playtime area is very big though. It took half of our living room in an open area. And he acted fine tonight.

If he seems fine he most likely is fine. Most people vacuum around their chins and the chins don't even flinch.

I hand vac my boys' cages for a spot clean every night while they are still in the cage. It doesn't bother them at all. Some people even use a shop vac around them and some of those are pretty loud.

If he doesn't act like it bothers him, then don't worry about it. If he didn't like it to the extent it disturbed him he would act different, be less playful, hide, etc. If you dry your hair often he's probably used to the sound and it's just another sound like the radio, tv, cooking, etc.

I vacuum around my chins cages and half the time they do not even wake up. I have on a few occasions, shop vacced one of my chins cages while she is in it and she just sits there and watches me.

If your chin is not acting like it is scared or stressed, then I would not worry about it. But if he starts to act like it bothers him, then Id think about stopping.

They get used to sounds after a week, I'd say. I got a new vacuum for the cages, and it's much louder than it's predecessor. At first Osker was terrified, but now he'll approach and sniff it while it's on. I'm sure a hair dryer is fine, especially if you do it often.

my chi chi likes the vacume for some reason. I have a dyson vacume and you can take the teloscoping hose off so its just a hose. And I put it in her cage with one hand and with my free hand i have to keep her away from it. If I don't she will go and sniff the hose and i don't want it to suck her up and " not that she would fit " But i dont want it to scare her.

I spot vac Shelly's cage while she's in it all the time. It does not bother her. She too busy trying to get the hose in her mouth. I too blow dry my hair while she is in the room. Sometimes she gets an impromptu style session. It all depends on how playful she is. Other times she just watches me or sleeps in her cage.

Oh, ok. I thought I read it somewhere that long loud noise could cause them stress. Thanks guys

It's a monotone sound...

...which usually won't scare them. Mine doesnn't mind the vaccuum and I use the dust buster when he's out during playtime and in his cage-he comes up to it now while its on so I have to be careful of that-make sure he doesn't get too close. If yours didn't act scared, it isn't. If something really bothers them and scares them, they usually 'bark' &/or start shaking in a corner somewhere. My boy puffs up-looking grumpy, lol-and shakes a little if he's scared or bothered a little, but not enough to 'bark', like when my father was helping me put up the divider in my bedroom that we now share. He doesn't like my father-maybe its the base in a man's voice that scares him.

But don't worry-hair drying and vaccuming are monotone sounds that I believe they get used to fast. Especially after they start really trusting you and you're the one making the noise-since they trust you not to hurt them, then whatever YOU are doing becomes less scary to them. And its usually obvious when they get scared.

Like many others, I also vacuum around mine and they don't mind at all. Two I've only had for a short time, but they seem to be just as okay with the vacuum as my older guy is. He adjusted to it very quickly and it doesn't bother him at all.

On a similar note, with the noise... I know a lot of what you will read and hear will say that chins need total quiet during the day, and things like that. What I have found (and read) is that they will really adjust pretty well to whatever your schedule is, and whatever noises become typical to them. For instance, my chins are all in my bedroom, and before I moved into the house I'm in now (which is my own place), I spent ALL my time in the bedroom, therefore there was pretty much always noise and activity during the day and evening. For almost seven years, that was the usual, so that is what he became accustomed to. He then did most of his resting at night when we did. Of course now, being in my own house, the bedroom is quiet for the better part of the 24 hour period.

The point being, I wouldn't worry so much about noises stressing them, so long as they aren't extreme.

Oh and PS...I live right on a pretty busy road so you can hear every car going by quite loudly. This doesn't bother any of them either.

I don't think it should bother him. I took mine outside on fourth of July and I was more scared by the fire works then they were!

Latest posts

Back