Cooling my chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaSteve

Property of Stevie!
This years summer is going to be hot.
Today is hot, but the best has yet to come!

So I'll need to cool of my chins (first time)

Is it ok to use these coolers you put in the freezer?
If I wrap them in a towel and put them on a ledge.

My girls aren't that much of a chewer.

You really need air conditioning if the temperature gets much past 72 or 73F in your "chin room". There really is no substitute. People will argue that chins can acclimate to higher temps., but why make them suffer in the heat?

Frozen tiles and water bottles are only temporary solutions and are not that effective anyway...

Michiel can you get a window A/C unit for your room? It really is best--especially as your chins are used to this type of weather. You can use chinchillers and the frozen water bottles with fleece around them, but an A/C unit would be best.

I only need refreshment for about 2-3 hours when the sun is at his highest. (when it shines on the courtyard, which only lasts 2 hours)

I could close the curtains to keep it fresh but I don't want my girls to be in the dark :)

I have an AC unit but it's pretty windy.
I'll use the chillers first and I'll see then.

Any idea what the temperature is in their room?

If you have an AC, why not turn it on, at least during the warmest part of the day? A cold water bottle or tile does not cool the air, which is what will make your chin more comfortable.

It is easy to underestimate the effect of heat and how hot it is since we don't carry around fur coats ... ;)

And I tend not to see in the dark :p

I'll use the AC-unit, it's a bit loud but better loud than hot

Ive gotten to where I see better in the dark than I do in the light! ;)

But if you're worried about them being in the dark, when you shut the curtains during the hottest part of the day, try a small table lamp and leave it on, or just a night light will do also.

It's not only for the chins, the light switch is in the back of the room
and that room is messy which could result in fallings (me or my gran)

+ I'm too lazy to switch it on every time I enter the room :D

I have clay pots here that I keep in the fridge in case the power or AC were to go out. If you get them, just make sure they are lead free. Otherwise they can ingest the lead if they chew them.

On the rare occasion that the power or AC has been out here, I stick it in their cages so that they can get inside if they want.

i don't know if my method is best (as I'm new to this) but i shut my curtains but open the windows, so there is airflow but no direct sunlight. He has a chiller, and i limit using the main lights in the room as they are those hallogen things which BAKE! so i use a little table lamp as it doesn't heat the room. When its particularly warm i put a coolbag block (those things you freeze for the coolbag) wrapped it in a teatowel and put it above his cooler but on the outside of the cage- the cool air drops leaving his back cooling whilst his tummy cools on the granite.
But, I am commenting from England, American temps will be much higher and your air con might be your best bet is suppose?

Back