Color Combinations?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawaii_Hedgie_Chin_Love

I have two females, a white mosaic (extreme mosaic) and a standard grey
I am getting a mosaic male, if i breed him with the mosaic female will they have 100% mosaic babies?
or is there a chance of having standard babies?
I've bred chinchillas before, but never this combination.
Also, the standard female is 6 years old, and has never been bred before because I never really got around to it
Is she too old to safely breed?

A mosaic is just a white regardless if it is "Extreme" or "Panda" or "Reverse" or anything. Those are just selling terms.

Breeding a white to a white is not suggested because a) there is a lethal factor in which 25% of the eggs don't fertilize and b) the white is a weak mutation that shouldn't be bred back to its own color. If you WERE to still do that despite the taboo on it, you have a 50% chance of whites, and a 25% chance of standards. http://www.silverfallchinchilla.com/genetics/ChinCrossCalculator.aspx Just plug in "white" for father and mother and it will show you.

As far as putting an older female into breeding, I don't think there's any risk to it than the "normal" risks you encounter, as there are some chins won don't have their first litter until they're a bit older, but I'd wait for someone more experienced in breeding to answer that.

two white chinchillas shouldn't be bred together because of the lethal factor. White is an imcomplete dominant gene therefore it can not exist in and of itself. If you did breed two white chins together you could get a standard or any other genotypes that are represented in combination with the white genes.

I have two females, a white mosaic (extreme mosaic) and a standard grey
I am getting a mosaic male, if i breed him with the mosaic female will they have 100% mosaic babies?
or is there a chance of having standard babies?
I've bred chinchillas before, but never this combination.
Also, the standard female is 6 years old, and has never been bred before because I never really got around to it
Is she too old to safely breed?

As mentioned above a white to white combination isn't recommended and you will not get 100% mosaics. White cannot exist in the homozygous state which is what the lethal factor is. This doesn't mean you'll get dead kits, just that 25% of them will not be born. It isn't proven if the egg fertilizes and is reabsorbed or if it doesn't fertilize at all. It's assumed since they can reabsorb a fetus that the egg does fertilize, something in the genes is detected as non-viable and the fetus is reabsorbed. Whites are not typically weak but they do tend towards cottony textured fur which is undesirable and a trait of poor breeding in whites.

I would not breed the standard female. Females over the age of 4 years that have not been bred before are at a higher risk of having birth complications. Sometimes the female won't produce milk and sometimes they just don't know what to do with the kits after they are born.

Since the white is not in your signature I'm going to assume it's the one you more recently purchased from the "questionable" breed in Michigan with the horrible conditions. I probably would not breed that animal. Or other animals from questionable conditions.

I would work on doing some more research on breeding before doing it as well.

I also want to point out that you said you are not in a good financial situation. If you do not have a good bit of money set aside for emergencies, you are not in a position to be breeding chinchillas. TashaR spent $2000.00 getting her chin helped during a delivery gone bad. I spent $600.00 for an emergency spay. Becky was told $3000.00 to do a delivery and spay on her chin. The price is going to vary depending on where you are, but it IS going to be expensive.

Please do as Nicole said and do more research before you decide to breed. Starting out with questionable animals and no money to care for them in case of an emergency is not the way to go about it.

Back