colony sizes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamlite

What is the largest colony you have had work out? Pets or breeders. I have 6 girls currently caged together, and a group of 4 mom who I just weaned their kits.

I have some cages of seven females, but I have had as many as nine that get along just fine. I've had a colony of six or seven males before, but usually those aren't together for long because I find homes for the chins or end up putting them into breeding. Most of my colonies are temporary until the chins go into breeding or go to new homes (sorry to be redundant.)

I would be interested in knowing how large of a breeding colony has been done with long term success too. And not with a run, but a single large cage.

When i bred guineas i used to keep colonies in a 16 x 16 modified horse stall, they never even knew they were in a cage. Think it would be awesome to see something similar in chins.

I think my biggest was 11 males in a cage. It was a massive cage, made out of melamine, and it took up 1/3 of the room. They got along fine. Do I recommend it? Probably not.

My largest breeding colony is 5 females/1 male, one cage. I don't breed run style. Never have, never will.

I used to do growing colonies, I'd have up to 12 animals. For breeding colonies I've had up to 6 females and a male. Breeding colonies take a lot of attention, it only takes a few minutes for one to tear up another, even to the point of death.

Growinggirls.jpg

growingboys2.jpg

Back