Chins making their boards/ledges a mess

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shieldmaidenjen

Hi everyone in Chinland! How are you all today? :)

My two seven month old chins are HORRIBLE about pooping on their wooden boards/ledges and then galloping through it, spreading it everywhere. My four older chinchillas will occasionally do this... but hardly to the extent the younger two do.

I have heard of people using fleece covers for their ledges - does anyone here use them? They seem like they would keep the wood clean... but the chins wouldn't be able to chew them (mine have plenty of toys and sticks to chew, but they do enjoy gnawing the edges of their ledges too) and they do sound like they might be more trouble than they are worth. Thoughts?

Also, cleaning your wooden chin paraphernalia in general: are there any chin-safe products that can be used to clean up urine or poo that has been smashed into the ledges? How do you guys keep your wood clean?

Thanks so much!
Jenn

I am a germaphobe w/ OCD so clean cages have to happen, I need to get them clean so all my shelves are tiled, I can clean them and know they are clean, LOL.

Chin poop shouldn't be smashed into the wood. Sounds like your chin(s) have soft poops and that needs to be addressed. Chin poops should be like large tick tacks

Chin poop shouldn't be smashed into the wood. Sounds like your chin(s) have soft poops and that needs to be addressed. Chin poops should be like large tick tacks

That was my first thought as well. If poos are getting squished to the shelves, they are definitely too soft. I would recommend taking away their pellets for a day or two and get them unlimited grass hay to see if the smooshy poo clears up.

Mine do the same thing!!! I just thought with them constantly jumping on the ledge maybe the poo just flattens but looks like ill have to take their pellets away...

To help keep ledges clean put them in at a tiny bit of a tilt, the poo's will roll of that way.

What are you feeding? That might be the issue. I'd guess it's possibly Mazuri, I've heard a lot of people have issues with soft poo's with it.

Like everyone else has said, poop smashed ledges shouldn't be a regular occurence. But hopefully with the pellets removed their poops will be more normal and less messy. I use a mix of white vinegar and water to clean my boy's cage, I just wipe it down with a paper towel.

Latest posts

Back