Chinese Meatloaf

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a Chinese recipe it is all about the sauce. Draining it would take away the flavor and defeat the purposes of the sauces that were added in. I keep the sauce in and even pour it in the container when we put it away for left overs. Without the sauce it will lose a lot of the flavor.

I see. I think I will give it a try exactly as you printed the recipe. It does look good to me.

Awww crap. I bought everything last night and I now see that I didn't get celery. Do you think it would still be good without it?

It still tastes good without celery, but the celery gives it a tiny crunch that it just awesome. It's up to you! I've made it a few times without celery and it's still very yummy. :D

If you think it looks a bit unappealing to your picky eaters, you can always wrap the loaf up in a few chinese cabbage leaves.

Made! I think I added a bit too much ginger. Mine was fresh, so I think two teaspoons was a bit on the heavy side. That said, even though it is very gingery, it is very nommy. I meant to take a picture before I cut it all up, but I forgot. :(

I made this last night instead of today and it was tasty! What I did different was add water chestnuts instead of celery, added some panko bread crumbs I had left over from another recipe and put a teriyaki glaze on top when done, we had seconds!

Made! I think I added a bit too much ginger. Mine was fresh, so I think two teaspoons was a bit on the heavy side. That said, even though it is very gingery, it is very nommy. I meant to take a picture before I cut it all up, but I forgot. :(

A good trick to remember..when using fresh herbs or spices, cut, what the recipe says, in half.

As for the meat loaf, I think it looks and sounds delicious! But is there any way you could make it into a vegetarian recipe? If not, I may give the recipe to my hubby so he could cook it for him and the kids. He loves trying new things and I think he would love this!

(I haven't posted here because it's a meat recipe and I know NOTHING about cooking meat...but someone asked how to make it vegetarian!)

Replace the ground beef or ground turkey with Gimme Lean sausage. I use this to make "meatloaf" and it works very well and has a good flavor. It's probably completely different in taste than the beef or poultry...but I wouldn't know because I haven't had meat in so many years. It cooks for around the same time as meat would, but keep an eye on it and make sure it has cooked throughout.

(To make it vegan, you can replace the eggs with soy powder blended in a little water.)

http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail.jsp?p=gimmeleansausage

If you are replacing the green onions with white or yellow onions, it's best to probably saute them in some oil before adding them. :D

Last edited:
Forgot I took a pic of my loaf!

meatloaf.jpg

Dawn that looks delicious. I admit, seeing Tab's picture put me off a little bit (mostly because I hate meatloaf anyway), but without all the fluids it looks much better. Now I'll have to give it a try!

I just flipped it over, spread some teriyaki glaze and popped into the broiler for a min or so to give it a carmelized top, it was YUM!

Latest posts

Back