Chinchillas and Memory

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
Has any research been done on chinchillas and their memory? I observed some interesting behavior from Lady, and it made me start to wonder about long term memory verses instinct/conditioned responses.

I just got back from a 3 week vacation. When I put Lady back in her FN she ran to where her water bowl usually is and was looking for it, within an hour she was back to sleeping in her usual 'odd' spots. She also popcorned for awhile when I put her back in the cage.

I had cleaned the cage thoroughly before we left, so I don't think she just recognized her scent. She also got a lot of run time while we were on vacation. I didn't notice any popcorning then, so I don't think this was in response to just being in a larger space. I honestly think she recognized the cage, and knew she was home.

On the flip side she used to love my boyfriend, she used to groom and chirp at him when she lived at his place. Now she only sees him every 4 - 6 months. In the beginning of a visit she displays all the behavior of meeting a new person. She is nervous around him and makes a high pitched cry/squeal noise for a few days whenever he approaches the cage.

Has anyone ever witnessed behavior that led to conclusions about a chinchilla's memory?

They remember their cages for a long long time after they even go to new cages. I have experienced the way that they will act when I don't see them for months with chins that go to new homes. Sometimes they will act like they don't remember me and sometimes they snub me pretty bad when I try to interact with them. I think that they get angry when people go away and don't come back at the frequency that the chins become accustomed so later on they act like this.

Last month I saw some girls that I had fostered for about eight months last year. I hadn't seen them for several months and they ignored me and even acted very upset that I was around. I think they were angry that I wasn't around anymore! They acted almost like I had abandoned them.

Chinchillas are very strange little animals!

For a half year in 2009, I only come home for 4 days every month. Nemo remembered me every time when he saw me.

They got a decent memory all right imo. They always remember the layout of their cage just perfectly. And little change and you will see them running around till they notice it, stop, stare it for a while, then stare at me lol.

Also when i used to let them run around, their was a heater base board they would always run on (hasnt been used in like 10 years) and a certin spot on the wall they would chew. Due to the chewing they were in their cages for several months. I was finaly able to cover the entire wall and baseboard behind some large fleece. The first thing the did when i let them out again after so long, was run straight to that spot they love to chew. And even tho the base borad is covered, they still try to hop up on it and walk across.

My first chin Chico i had taken in form my brother many years back. He was moving around a lot and jsut had two kids so 'stressful' was an understatment for the chin. Even after a year of having him, any time my brother would stop by, chico would reconise him and freak. That 'oh no, theyve come back to get me!' panic.
Now that hes realised that aint the case, he will actuly let him pet em for a little bit'

So yea.. they remember things

I'm pretty sure they have good memories. As far as cage arrangements, I dunno if there's a distinction between "memories" and "habits" though. Sometimes I'll rearrange Gizmo's cage and he'll try to land in places where his ledges used to be...idk if thats a memory or just a routine that he was accustomed to...though he quickly learns that there is no longer a ledge there lol

As far as people go, I'm certain he knows how to tell the difference between Me& Rob vs new people or strangers. He also reacts differently around my different friends that he meets. He loves people who were my roommates but treats babysitters a bit differently lol.
He definitely remembers Rob though. Rob's been back and forth with trainings, and was recently gone for a month but the moment he walked in, I swear Gizmo could just tell it was him and seemed so much more at ease.

I wish they could talk...we can ask them what they remember!

Back