Chinchilla Wheels?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would not use one of those zip up carriers. The insides are pretty easy to chew up. If you don't want to invest in a metal one that is bought online, I'd suggest a plastic cat carrier. They can chew the plastic, but it would take them longer to chew it up versus the lining inside that zip up one.

I realized I have a cat carrier in the basement. And a small terrier carrier that my mom dog uses. *I have a dog gate installed on my door. No worries about them getting to the cage thats on a 3-4 foot tall table.*

If I wash those out to get rid of the smells they should be alright.

If I was to change a chinchilla's food how do you do it? Do you just slowly mix it in? each day?

Also, I will be going to pick/pick out my chinchilla on Tuesday from the breeder. :D

If you are getting it from a breeder and you are feeding it different food, then ask the breeder if they can give you a baggie full of the food they are currently giving him. You take the food he is currently on and slowly over time mix in the new food and put less and less of the old food in. Don't just go to the full on new food, cause it can upset their stomachs. Good luck with your new chin.

I agree with the don't buy the zip carrier--it "will" get chewed on by any chin because it's really, really thin plastic inside. Also, with the other carriers, i've got the plastic ones for my chins--(i have 2 of them)...problem is one of mine chewed on that front lip part by the door. Ugh!! I bought a "all" metal one--sooo no chewing for him. I use them when i'm cleaning out their cages. Just check "frequently" see if he's interested in it!hehe Hopefully, he won't be a plastic chewer. Bet you can't wait till Tuesday!! Exciting! Also, welcome to the forum :)

I have sooo many questions. However I don't want to bother my Breeder with all of them. She is away at some art fair this weekend.

I been thinking about the nest boxes or some way for him/her to sleep. I have a "Timber Hide-a-way" (Picture here). Its 10 wide by 7 Tall by 8.5 deep. is that acceptable?

It pretty much is designed Exactly like the picture. with the holes in funny places rather then one front door.

Last edited:
The timber hideaway is perfectly fine, they just normally don't last long as chins like to chew through them!

As far as food, you should ask your breeder what type of food the chin is currently on. Then if you want to feed a different type of food you do this..

For the 1st week - 1/4 new feed 3/4 old
2nd week - 1/2 new 1/2 old
3rd week - 3/4 new feed 1/4 old
last week - all of the new type of feed

So just use the same type of scoop, either a measuring cup or spoon and use that to determine how much each percentage is.

I ended up getting a single nest box on top of the hide-away timber box I mentioned. I also have the pine shelves.

Here is yet another question. Sticks from outside? People use them? I have pine trees by my house. Would that be acceptable? Isen't there a procedure before you can put it into the cage for chewing?

About the Food:
If I don't like the food that the breeder is using. How do I know Im getting whats truly healthy for my chin?
What are the important things to look for in the food? I'm sure just going for the one with the chinchilla on the front is not a good idea.
I know protein's are a very important part of a chinchilla's diet. That it can't be to high or it could upset their stomach's. I think its about between 16-17?

If your pine tree never had pesticides chemicals or anything, you can collect the sticks, scrub and boil them, and then bake them on a low temp like 220 for a few hours or until they are completely dry. You can do the same with pine cones if you have those too, mine love pine cones!

They eat pine cones? Really? My father puts fertilizer in the lawn. Which I would consider to be a harmful chemical. Other then that though. The trees aren't marked or anything so that's great. Now, when you "Scrub" a branch. Are you stripping it of the bark? Or just washing it? Before its boiled?

new here too

Hey all,
I'm new here. I'm about to be the proud owner of a chinchilla soon. However, I'm getting everything ready ahead of time. I sent away to have a custom cage made. Its 30 wide.. but 18 deep but 36 tall. I have the nice thick bowls so they will have a "harder" time getting the bowls tipped over and glass bottles so they wont chew it to bits.

My last few items I can't even find online.

The running wheel. From many people they say it has to be about 15 inches in diameter. But, also that all metal wheels are better. However, I can't find ANYONE who sells them. They display pictures.. but no order forms or store location.

They make something similar with a wooden backing. But they say the rivets going from the metal to the wood can stick through and hurt the chin. I'm not sure what to do. The good quality wheels are no where to be found.

There are also saucer. I don't like that idea of them, they shake the cage a lot and would seem to be dangerous if the chinchilla slipped.

Also, as for nesting boxes.. are the all wooden ones better? or the metal ones? I would think wood would be nice.. unless they decided to pee in it..
Hi there! I am new here too. I adopted a chin who is about 13 months. I ordered a wheel from herehttp://www.geocities.com/forchinatechins/chincessories.htm It was only $20 plus shipping,all metal,16" and no cage shaking. It works great!, it is quit loud though.My chin uses the dust bath you are asking about, I did not buy it,it came with him and he loves it. He is over a year and fits in it just fine,he spins all around, does a complete turn upside down in it.It is cozy and I think he likes that.He just sits in it too,and sleeps/watches tv. I am not sure how big chins get,but I could see some being too big for it. I also use a metal roasting pan,on the floor outside his cage. BTW the saucer scares me too, and I have heard a lot of people say that their chins will not use it. Anyway welcome!,;) and please post a pic of your sweet chin when you get him. Mel

Back