Chinchilla Wheels?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blarklark

Hey all,
I'm new here. I'm about to be the proud owner of a chinchilla soon. However, I'm getting everything ready ahead of time. I sent away to have a custom cage made. Its 30 wide.. but 18 deep but 36 tall. I have the nice thick bowls so they will have a "harder" time getting the bowls tipped over and glass bottles so they wont chew it to bits.

My last few items I can't even find online.

The running wheel. From many people they say it has to be about 15 inches in diameter. But, also that all metal wheels are better. However, I can't find ANYONE who sells them. They display pictures.. but no order forms or store location.

They make something similar with a wooden backing. But they say the rivets going from the metal to the wood can stick through and hurt the chin. I'm not sure what to do. The good quality wheels are no where to be found.

There are also saucer. I don't like that idea of them, they shake the cage a lot and would seem to be dangerous if the chinchilla slipped.

Also, as for nesting boxes.. are the all wooden ones better? or the metal ones? I would think wood would be nice.. unless they decided to pee in it..

Also, those chinchilla dust baths that are ceramic made with the little bunny ears on them? "Click Here For Image" are those enough room for a chinchilla that's an adult? The bigger plastic ones."Image here" well they are plastic. I wouldn't want my chinchilla to eat the plastic and die :(.. Any help with that too? Are there any metal ones or is the ceramic egg shaped dust bowl all there is?

I have 2 flying saucers, I and the chins love them. They do shake the cage a bit, but it isn't bad, and I've never had a chin go flying off of one.

The chin spin can be found here and is also a good wheel and there's no metal to poke them
http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_19&products_id=1802

I don't use nesting boxes. You can get wood houses, but I've found my chins don't use them. They prefer fleece tubes or hammocks.

Those ceramic dust baths are nice hay holders, but that's about it. They really aren't big enough for your chin to stretch out and roll in comfortably. It's better to have a larger, flatter pan for that.

Agree that the ceramic bunny ear chinchilla dust baths are not big enough. My 8 month old chin cannot fit his whole body in it. As tunes said, its a great hay holder, just put it at the bottom of the cage in case it tips over.

With a cage that is that small, I dont know what kind of wheel other then a saucer you will get in there and not kill all the floor space. Maybe a Chinspin, but you will have to build the cage around it I think.

I had a cage similar to those dimentions when I started out, and I had the saucer in there, and never had any issue with the cage shaking, nor did Fuzzy ever "slip off".

He loves his saucer :D I have both types of wheels, and love them both equally.

Agreed on the ceramic chin shaped dust houses, those are not nearly large enough. I use glass candy dispensers. You can buy them new at Walmart in the kitchen section for around $10 or find them used at Goodwill. These things... https://www.dylanscandybar.com/reso...cessed/301-Gummy-Octopus.Penny_Jar.a.zoom.jpg

Or else a large pickle jar works, or a bread baking pan. You can use the plastic ones, as you don't leave the dust bath in there very long, and the chin is more focused on rolling than chewing the dust house. You shouldn't leave the dust bath in there all the time because it dries out the chin's skin.

-About the Running Wheels
Here is a question. What if the chinchilla never has used the saucer before? Are they easy to help them learn?

-About the Chin Bath
Oh I see, yes I read that they will need to bathe about twice a week. But really its all about the coat condition. So, say i get the plastic bath. And just watch him/her as he is bathing and take it out when he is done. I should be alright. Right?

-About the nesting
Couldn't a chin eat the fleece tube? What if they ate it and choked? :(

When it comes to the saucers are they easy to train them how to use them? The breeder says she uses the wheels. If the cage is too small then i guess I'll have to get a saucer.
For the dust bath time I can use the plastic ones as long as I watch the chinchilla and then remove it when he is done with his/her dust bath?

Get the 15" chin spin---Quiet and chins "love it"!! Make room....I did!!hehe Note: definately get the bigger one--i made the mistake of buying the smaller one and they could only run it for short intervals (too small). Anyway--had to buy the bigger size (but, definately worth it!!). I use a rubbermade lid (med-to large size) and it works great they love the room to move! They have never tried to chew it at all in 5 years (it's in the playroom). Get wheel from qualitycage.com ....kinda pricey ---but soooo worth it!!

Ohhh! when i'm talkin' about the lid ---i'm talkin' about the dust pan!!!hehe That looked a bit confusing, what the heck i'm saying--sorry!hehe

I have another question about the dust baths. How does the session start? Do you just place it in the cage and watch? Or is it better to literally put them in it. Then watch them go to town.

I can see how the Rubbermaid container would be just the same as that houses looking unit.

Most chins will know that there is dust and beeline for it. My chins know what their dust bath looks like and they know the sound it makes when I tap on it. As soon as they see/hear it, they are waiting at their cage doors for me to put it in.

If it is your first time giving your new chin a bath, just put it in their cage/wherever they are. They will get curious and check it out- soon they will smell the dust and go at it.

Yeah, most all chins know what a dust bath is and get very excited about it! When I'm dusting my chins, the girls who don't have the dust bath in their cage get all excited and sometimes just start rolling on their shelves or cage bottom, it's pretty funny.

I just leave mine in for a couple minutes.

As far as the flying saucer, all of my 5 girls have been able to figure them out. Even my one who is from a ranch who never had even seen a wheel in her life before coming to me. But some people do say that their chin wasn't able to figure it out, but I haven't had that problem.

Thank you all so much.

Today I picked up my cage. I also got my dust bath "house".. so all that I have left is a nesting box. Which I'll probably keep wooden.

Im waiting on getting the wood litter and the food and actual dust and the hey.

Mainly because I'm not sure what the chinchilla is using. I want those to match. I hear chinchilla's have a very sensitive stomach. Changing their food can be REALLY bad. It might help him/her with the transition..

OH! and I need a carrier. Are those zip up ones okay? They are colorful and show a chinchilla on it? What type of carrier do you think I should get for bringing the chinchilla home?

They are going to be 8 weeks I believe.. however there is also one for sale that is 1 year old. So, I'm not sure which one I'm going to get.

The carriers look like "This"

Last edited:
I use the plastic dust houses and let them bath when they come out for playtime so I know they are not chewing on it. Then when they are done, i take it up off the floor and put it away.

I have some chin spins from quality cage and they are great. I have the 15inch ones, and they are worth every penny they sell for. So go for it if you can afford it, or the flying saucer, I don't know your funds, but they are both great and safe wheels for you chin.

Pictures when you get him. We all love pictures.....

Congrats
Jean

Yeah, most all chins know what a dust bath is and get very excited about it! When I'm dusting my chins, the girls who don't have the dust bath in their cage get all excited and sometimes just start rolling on their shelves or cage bottom, it's pretty funny.

I just leave mine in for a couple minutes.

As far as the flying saucer, all of my 5 girls have been able to figure them out. Even my one who is from a ranch who never had even seen a wheel in her life before coming to me. But some people do say that their chin wasn't able to figure it out, but I haven't had that problem.

Allie, I have to tell you that if chin is in his cage and someone else is out and taking a bath, he'll so the same thing....:rofl:

Jean

I've seen people use those carriers without a problem. Just keep an eye on them for chewing though. Mostly they sleep on the way home anyways. I have one like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751237
It works just fine!! Just remember if it's hot where you live to have the air conditioner on. Just throw some bedding in the carrier. As far as the wheels i have both. I bought a chin spin from quality cage for my new 9 week old girls and because it was new and stiff they couldnt spin it. So I changed the wheel out and gave the chin spin to the boys (they love it) and the flying saucer to the girls. They never had a wheel from the breeder but figured it out after a few days. For the dust bath I have a ceramic one (it is good for babies but when they get older they have no room to roll). So I went out and bought a plastic one which looks liks this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753273
Dont use the sand that comes with it though! Only use dust. Blue cloud and blue sparkle are good. You can order them online.
I dont put it in their cage. I give it to them at playtime and they dont chew on it. Owning a chinchilla is fun and you will always be buying something new. I shop pet stores almost everyother day, LOL!!

Last edited:
Those carriers are fine. Just keep an eye out for chewing. I have had a chin chew a sizable hole in one when she was in it while I cleaned her cage.

Good luck and pictures as soon as you can.

You can buy any type of hay and bedding, Oxbow is probably the best hay, there is no need to keep them on the same hay, like you would want to do with pellets. You can also buy any kiln dried pine, or any aspen, and you should be fine. They don't mind switching bedding at all. Just do a gradual food change unless the food is really cruddy like Kaytee.

I would not use a plastic/cloth zip up carrier, but invest in a good metal one from someone on here, or get the plastic cat carriers like Jean pictured, as long as they are not in there long they should not chew it.

Last edited:
Back