Chinchilla wheel and harness questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chikachulove

Hi fellow chinchilla loves!
I am going to be a new chinchilla owner and am trying to get everything ready for chikachu. I have been trying to find the wheel that is the best for its cost as I am a college student and have a small budget. It seems like so far the solver surfer wheel has great reviews but I wanted to know whether anyone has used wheels they no longer need.

Also on another note, I have heard some mixed reviews about using harnesses for chinchillas because of their dense fur but I was wondering whether anyone ha had experience.

I'd really appreciate all the advice I can get!

The wheels you have to choose from are the Silver Surfer, ChinSpin, Flying Saucer, and the Ed or Leo Braun Wheel.

Because of their delicate floating ribcages, harnesses should NEVER be used on chinchillas.

I would also like to mention that chinchillas 'hop' like rabbits rather than run like ferrets. Any kind of leash/harness would not only be dangerous but would limit their natural movement. This is also one of the reason not to use the large plastic balls sold for chinchillas. They overheat in them, pee in them, and can't hop like they normally would.

I would also like to mention that chinchillas 'hop' like rabbits rather than run like ferrets. Any kind of leash/harness would not only be dangerous but would limit their natural movement.

While I would never use a harness on a chin, harnesses can be used on rabbits no problem. Just because you have a harness and leash doesn't mean your yanking on them all the time and usually there really isn't much pressure at all, so it hinders nothing.

But again, don't use a harness on a chin.

Personally I would not use a harness on a rabbit either. I would be afraid they would hurt themselves or that it would freak them out. It's not so much the person with the leash would pull but rather the animal would pull. Dogs choke themselves all the time when they get over excited and pull on a leash. I worry about the safety of the rabbit if it suddenly tried to escape or hop out of range of the leash. Also I don't think harnesses are properly sized for most rabbits and definitely not chinchillas (assuming it was safe to use one with a chin at all, which it's not) and I'd be concerned it would be too tight/too loose and the animal would escape. I think playpens and rooms made safe are a better option. Where would you walk a rabbit anyway? Outside it would be exposed to all sorts of new illnesses as well as fleas, etc. Definitely it'd be much safer than taking a chinchilla out the same way. As you said I'd never even consider putting a chin on a harness. I honestly think a 'death ball' would be safer for a chin than a harness.

That is like asking which is safer, the frying pan or the fire.

That was essentially my point. At least with a 'death ball' they are unlikely to break bones. But there's the whole overheating possibility... and the whole running in their own urine thing. Also those balls are flimsy. I use to let a hamster run in one, way back when I was in my preteens, and I had one break open. Thankfully I caught the hamster as soon as it happened... but it could have been bad.

Both are a very bad idea for a chinchilla. I honestly don't think those little balls are good for any rodent. Not sure why they sell so well. But they also sell tons of wheels with spokes. Even a hamster can get a leg caught in wire wheel. Gerbils especially risk tail breakage. Yet when you go into a petstore there are tons of wire wheels and plastic cages. Any rodent can chew out of plastic overtime. Just proves people sell what they can get money for not what is actually practical/good for the animal/safe/etc.

Personally I would not use a harness on a rabbit either. I would be afraid they would hurt themselves or that it would freak them out. It's not so much the person with the leash would pull but rather the animal would pull. Dogs choke themselves all the time when they get over excited and pull on a leash. I worry about the safety of the rabbit if it suddenly tried to escape or hop out of range of the leash. Also I don't think harnesses are properly sized for most rabbits and definitely not chinchillas (assuming it was safe to use one with a chin at all, which it's not) and I'd be concerned it would be too tight/too loose and the animal would escape. I think playpens and rooms made safe are a better option. Where would you walk a rabbit anyway? Outside it would be exposed to all sorts of new illnesses as well as fleas, etc. Definitely it'd be much safer than taking a chinchilla out the same way. As you said I'd never even consider putting a chin on a harness. I honestly think a 'death ball' would be safer for a chin than a harness.

Personally, I think rabbits really benefit from outdoor time, but I also live in Calgary where we don't have fleas and such, so it is different. And if you know the harness to use and how to fit it, you don't really need to be overly concerned unless you don't know your rabbit or it's an easily frightened animal. It doesn come down to the individual animal.

HOWEVER, a lot of people, myself included, find a lot of rabbits really enjoy being outside and I would almost think it crueler to keep them inside all the time. Being in grass you know is safe is great stimulation for the rabbit, foraging and digging and lying in the sun and frolicking until their hearts content. I see how my rabbits (And I have 12 rescues, as well as some fosters, so there is variety in my rabbits personalities) love being outside. And when they are used to the harness, it is an easier way of keeping control over the situation.

I really think people completely underestimate how social and curious rabbits are. Most are more curious about things then afraid, and they aren't as likely to bolt as everyone thinks they are (But like I said, individual personalities) and mine enjoy going on walks.

But it comes down to how much you trust your bunny. If you don't trust your rabbit, you're not going to be comfortable.

But still, off topic. A chin should never be in a harness OR a ball.

plastic vs metal?

All this info on not using balls is great, but I think no one has really answered the question on the side of the wheel. I only see plastic saucers, in my experience my chinchilla will chew it to pieces.

Are the flying saucer plastic 12-14 inch wheels any good? what is their durability like. Because 90-150$ for a metal one is a bit extreme for my pocket book.

Chins don't have to have a wheel or saucer, but I am so glad I got my saucer. My chin uses it everyday and she just loves it. I believe I got it for under $100. I wouldn't get the plastic saucers as they can be chewed on and destroyed by your chin, and can also be an impaction hazard.

The plastic ones are junk. Wheels may cost a lot but they will last a lifetime. You can find second hand wheels on craigslist or ebay. If you think the cost of the wheel is extreme then you better look into the vet bills. I just spent over $700 last month on one chin.

They don't need a wheel. Imo they are fine with or without one, but my girl has one anyway, even with 5+ hours of play time each day.

Plasic ones are total crap. They fall apart, break, get chewed on, ect. The sizes they sell in stores are much to small too.

If you can't afford a wheel, how can you afford everything else, or if vet bills come up?

Anyway, here's the Quality Cage company that makes the Chin Spins and Flying Sauces mentioned, http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=index --> products --> accessories --> wheels.

Back