Chinchilla Show with $$$ Prizes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark miller

Miller Chinchillas
I am considering organizing a annual show in York, NE with $$$ awards. Example plan would be: Open to everyone to show, Seperate Shows for Standards and Mutations with both using the 10-class system, Limit of 10 animals per show string, Probably $10-$12 entry fee per animal, $200-$100-$50 for GSC-RGS-3rd Best, $200-$100-$50 for 1st-2nd-3rd place Breeders awards both shows, Show would be judged by ECBC-MCBA sanctioned judge, Would include a silent auction for animals, Possibly a Baby Derby for cutest pet, Would probably be held around early to middle November, Would need to draw atleast 150 total animals to the show to cover expenses, Any profit made would be held over to put on the next years show, Show would be hosted by the ECBC Nebraska Branch. Is there enough interest in a show of this type to pay for itself? Would you enjoy going to a show to compete for $$$ instead of a trophy? Feedback needed on this idea?

The Oklahoma Branch did a show last year where they gave $100 to the breeder who traveled the farthest to attend and $100 to the breeder who showed the most animals.

You could call Dovie Smith or Vicki Merritt to get more info on the totals of the show. I don't remember off the top of my head how many animals there were or if it really drew more people than normal.

Attachments

• grace4.jpg
    grace4.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 22
  • lab Lucy.jpg
    lab Lucy.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 17
The Nebraska Branch used to host shows in York, NE every year. They always seemed to draw very well with people from Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, and Ohio attending. It seemed to be a pretty central drivable location for a lot of people and the hotel is only 1 block off Interstate 80 so its easy to get to. The intriging things about the show would be the money awards (of course), but also limiting the animal strings to 10 so more smaller breeders could compete for the breeder awards, and trying the first ever 10 class mutation show (where you could bring 2-10 animals of the same color and they wouldn't be competing in the same color class against yourself like traditional mutation show rules). This idea has always interested me to try. Ribbons and Rosettes would be offered on all exhibiting animals, so everyone showing would receive an award.

I love the idea! The 11 hour drive would be a drag, but still. What time of year?

I need to move farther south! Or start to fly places!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea. Again it would depending on time of year and final location, not sure I would have full string but even so, I would bring what I have at the time.

I really like the idea. At 17 hours it's a long haul, anyone from TX/OK want to carpool?

I need to move farther south! Or start to fly places!
I need to move further north, and flying is very over-rated. lol.

I'd come, almost for sure :) Nebraska is the best for everything else? Why not chinchilla shows? :p

i have finally found one thing to gripe about when it comes to being Canadian! not being able to attend all these shows, because they are all so far away! gaaaaa!!!!

I too like the idea. However at 21 hours away, Its not something I would be able to attend. I think it would draw a crowd (who doesn't like to win money?), and if there are still ribbons being given those who didn't do take the top awards are still walking home with something to show for.

Only if I can post that beautiful picture that I have of you at Nationals! :)

But, oh...okay, I'll drive because god knows you need your sleep!

I wonder how much people would pay to see that picture...maybe I don't need to drive to NE to win some money!

Last edited:
York isn't too bad of a drive for us here....but its still long for me. Not as long as 11 or 21 hours though!

Great idea. Can you set one up in Buffalo or Rochester, lol

Since Heartland is moving the Boone show to Kansas, NE is closer for me. Well, at least an hour closer?! Its a show! Distance is relative! My family & non-chinnie friends think I'm nuts anyway...:wacko:

How would the mutation classes that don't have large number in them work? I am thinking of the recessives which usually have much smaller classes. The prize money is an interesting idea. I am definitely too far away to come to the show, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Back