Chinchilla boarding -- what is reasonable?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is a reasonable cost for boarding?

• Total voters

greychins

NWI Chinchillas
I have been contacted by someone about boarding a chinchilla for them for about a month over the upcoming holiday season. The thing is... we have never boarded before (though I would not be opposed to doing so), so I wanted to get some people's thoughts and experiences on how they do this.

I have been looking at various websites and have found quite the variety of rates: $10/day ($300/month), $2.50/day ($75/month), $15/week ($60/month), $6 day ($180/month), and $27/week ($108/month). As these range from the low end of $60 to the high end of $300.... I was wondering what people think is reasonable. I have added these options as a poll.

Also, I'm wondering what people's stand is on vet care. In a perfect world, a boarded chinchilla would not need vet care... but if it did -- do you take the chin to your vet or to the vet the owner uses? Would this differ if the owner's vet was several hours away because the owner, themselves, is several hours away? Would that be something to discuss with the owner and to get in writing?

Which brings me to the question of, if the chinchilla did have some injury/illness pop up -- payment. I can see an owner saying "yeah take the chin to the vet and I'll pay" but then when they come to pick the chin up, not wanting to pay the large bill. Just as an aside, I saw this boarding contract -- http://www.cavycareinc.org/chinchillaboardingform.pdf -- it's not perfect in many ways, but I do like the section that shows:

THE OWNER IS FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL CHARGES INCURRED AT THE VETERINARIANS. Please indicate how much you would authorize to be spent for the care of your animal while at the veterinarian: $100; $150; $200; $250; $300; No limit; I would not want them seen by a veterinarian even if it was an emergency.

IMO, this is a pretty good way to do it. How does everyone else feel about this? And say the owner did say "no limit" -- do you ask for their credit card information in the case of an emergency, or is it your responsibility to pay for everything up front and the owner to pay you back?

I guess my question basically is -- if you have boarded a chinchilla, for a monetary amount (not like doing it for a friend or as a favor -- cause I don't know this person from adam), please share your experience.

I charge $1 a day, $5 a week and $18 a month for boarding, but I probably charge way less than I should. If there is ever a problem with a boarded chin, that chin goes to my vet. I discuss this with the owner at the time that the chin needs vet care - that's why I get an emergency number or find out if the owner will be reachable by email. The owner pays for any costs for veterinary care, that is understood at the time that the owner leaves any chins here.

One thing that I have run into that is super annoying is that when I board chins sometimes people do not come back for them when they say they will. The owners will be unreachable or won't return phone calls or emails. At that point I reserve the right to consider the chins surrendered to rescue. We're talking about chins that have been here for months longer than I was told without any communication from the owners. Just be prepared for that. And, get paid a certain amount upfront for your costs in case they pull this on you. I'm not saying that it will happen, but be prepared for people abandoning their chins with you. Afterall, they know you will take care of them so why should they worry? :p

Susan -- while I haven't specifically dealt with not being able to reach someone in this situation... I do remember when my paternal grandfather was passing away, and my dad was not answering his cell phone, we couldn't reach him at work, his office didn't know where he was -- point is, you said you get an emergency number or email -- what do you do if you can't get ahold of them, even trying the emergency number and all that? Do you take the chin to the vet? Keep trying to call them? Because for me, I would have a problem just letting a chin die because they didn't want to spend money or they couldn't be reached and I wasn't sure what to do (to take or not to take the chin to the vet)... but at the same time, if I'm spending my own chunk of change and they later tell me "oh I didn't want vet care, I'm not going to reimburse you," I feel I would have to be the meanie (for lack of ability to use a stronger word here) and say, that since I just spent x dollars keeping their chin alive, they no longer get it back. But maybe I'm being paranoid.

ETA: I had one of my adoptive homes, awhile back, want to surrender their chin to the rescue so that I could take it to the vet, have an abcess taken care of to the tune of $300+, and then they wanted me to give it back to them. I nicely told them that if I was to take the chin back in because they refuse to pay for a vet bill (which they acknowledged at adoption time they knew vet bills would potentially be high and they could afford them) and I got the chin care... they would not be getting the chin back, nor would they be able to re-adopt the chin or get another. I guess this makes me think that something similar could happen with boarding. But I could just be paranoid. Maybe a lot of boarded chins never have issues and I'm just overthinking it.

Last edited:
There is a boarder in my town for chins and they charge 5/per day if you provide the cage and food. I have never used them because i don't want to haul my critter nation to the pet store. I just make hubby chin sit. :) Other than chin sitting he has nothing to do with the chins. He just knows they are spoiled.:p I got home from work yesterday and he was eating the chin treats. :O I was like that's the chins treats..lol He just said well it taste good on yogurt! :O
He is helping me build them shelves tho. :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I would be willing to pay up to $5 a day for boarding.

I got home from work yesterday and he was eating the chin treats.

I have to admit, I've snuck a cheerio or shredded wheat for myself and the dogs during chin playtime.

I charge $15.00 a month. It's usually someone who wants me to board a chinchilla they got from me originally, and I don't feel like charging much when it comes to my own babies. I am always happy to see them again, especially when they are grown.

I have an agreement/contract before the chinchilla comes to my home also. As far as emergencies go, regardless if I was in contact or not with the owner, when it happened, I would take the chinchilla to the vet. If it ended up costing me money (which it would.), I would request it be paid before they can take their chinchilla home.

I have this all in my agreement/contract for boarding. They agree when they sign the bottom of the contract, to covering any vet expenses incurred for their chinchilla, should an emergency come up while the chinchilla is in my home. Unless the emergency is however due to something I did(then I would foot the bill, if it was due to my negligence. If I "for example" stepped on their chinchilla - which I have never done to a chinchilla - but I am using this as an example where one is not using due care.), and is not a pre existing illness/condition or an accident of circumstance.

You should have a contract/agreement written and signed prior to consenting to a chinchilla coming to your home. Just my opinion.

I think $3-$5 is reasonable.

And I like the amount choice for vet care because I think it saves you from being left on the hook for bills they didnt expect. I would make them leave a credit card on file with the vet and not you - your vet may not take it if you don't have the actual card if there was an actual emergency.

I think they should also have to pay a deposit upfront ($50? $75?) that in the even they do not return to pick up the animal is non-refundable. That at least covers you if they dont return.

When I'm taking care of a pet, whether it is is their own home or mine, and the owners are gone for a long period of time or out of the country, I recommend they call their vet and leave a credit card number on file for emergencies. Not only does that cover you with the vet - so they know who you are and why you have someone else's animal - but that way NO ONE has to worry about money during a medical emergency. The owner is automatcally charged for the services, and any questions regarding care can be brought up with the vet directly instead of getting you in the middle of it.

As for which vet to use, I would discuss that with the owners before they leave. If they are adamant about using their vet that is very far away, require a refundable travel-deposit before they leave. You can at least get your fuel, and maybe your time, covered that way. And if you don't use it, they get it back when they return. Otherwise, tell them upfront that you'll be using your vet, give them the info, and have them make arrangements with the clinic directly.

I also require payment upon their departure. I've heard WAY too many stories of owners dropping their pet off at the sitters and then never returning, just as an easy way to unload their animals. I'm more lenient with clients I know, but new clients that I know nothing about definitely have to pay first, and I tell them that upfront to weed out anyone who has other motives.

If I get someone really sketchy that I just don't get a good feel from, I'll ask them to sign something that also stipulates that if they don't pick their pet up in x-amount of days or hours from when they said they will, and haven't contacted me, the animal will be surrendered to such-n-such shelter or rescue. That way if they DON'T show up, even after paying all their bills, I don't feel obligated to hold on to the critter indefinitely in case the owners decide to show up.

Last edited:
I charge $2 per day. If I'm keeping the chin more than a month the first month has to be paid in advance. There have been a couple of exceptions, if it is a chin I sold someone and they are being deployed for military I'll keep the chin(s) for free during that time.

About half of the chins I have had in long term boarding on are never retrieved, last year I had three. If I don't hear from them within 10 days of the scheduled pickup the chin is mine. I can always tell these ones as the people won't respond the few days before the date to give me a pickup time and never send checkup emails/calls.

I charge $5 a day if they supply the food, hay, bedding and toys. Anything that I need to supply is extra. I have a written contract that the people read and sign. I ask for vet preference and emergency contact info. It all goes on the written contract. I think I will be adding the question about how much is too much for a vet bill. My contract asks for a pick up date and states if the owner does not pick them up on that date and does not contact me, I will try 3 times within a 2 week period to contact them. If, after 2 weeks, I still have not heard from the owner, the chinchilla is considered abandoned and becomes property of Cuddle Bug Chinchillas.

I will throw my two cents in here as a pet owner:

A responsible pet owner will take the time to call the vet, leave a credit card number and also have a letter or quick note as to who is boarding and what they want done should something happen ( bad sickness or even death)

They will also provide any items the chin will need while boarding, food, hay, dust, chew toys,sticks or any favorite cuddle buddy. i am not saying move the whole cage, just some fave items to keep chin happy.

I think $25 per week is reasonable, but if the boarding facility has to provide the basics the cost should go up. That is an expense for you to dish out.

I guess I should raise my rates because I provide everything the chins need the entire time they are with me. Some people board their chins with me for a month or even much longer and I give them an even more reduced rate for that. $18 a month, sometimes more like $15 a month. It just doesn't cost all that much to take care of them, and I just want to make sure that the chins have a safe, happy place to stay while their owners are gone or cannot care for them.

I would expect people to supply their own feed (due to differences with what I feed). I think $20-$30 a month would be fair, less for "customers" who are bringing back a chin you sold (always good business to take care of your customers).

Considering you can board a horse, which requires a lot more care for $200-$400 in my area ($200 meaning owners supply all feed; $400 meaning boarding place supplies feed) I can't see charging someone a similar amount for a chinchilla which is extremely easy to care for.

I would have a contract on file with the amount they are willing to spend on vet care, and a CC on file at the vet to use.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take them all into consideration and come up with a price and contract. I'm thinking somewhere around/under $4/day, but I haven't decided exactly what yet, but I will definitely be writing up a contract to be signed.

About a year ago, I figured out approximately how much a single chin would cost to feed, hay, water, etc. (in this area, and with the food I provide) and came out to about $6 a week. I can't remember if I factored in time to care, but I'm pretty sure I did (not including playtime or cage cleaning time). So I'd probably ask $10 a week for the minimum services I would provide.

Back