Chinchilla Bath Houses

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiftyKat

Crazy Cat & Rodent Lady!
Well everyone, I am going to put a down payment on my first chinchilla today or tomorrow! It'll still be a couple of months till I get him and another little buddy I haven't found yet, but I'm SUPER excited!

Anywho, my question is about bath houses ... I really like the ceramic ones that have the little ears on top. However, I have seen some reviews that their chinchillas were too big for them ... Is it nomal that chinchillas are too big for these bath houses and I should get something else? If so, what is the best bath house out there?

Thank you all! :cute:

Try a glass cookie jar from Wal-Mart. They are cheap, clear glass so you can watch your chin (which is really fun!), they have a lid to keep the dust in when not in use. I agree that the ones with ears are too small. My 6 month old would never fit. You should probably wait to buy until you get your chin so you have a good idea of their size. Not sure what size we have, but it's probably 9 inches or so tall and long, and maybe 6 inches wide. Gives her plenty of room to roll around.

Fish Bowls are awesome and chew proof! Find the thickest, sturdiest one you can and use that.

I use a lot of metal dusters. I prefer to use dusters that are not made from plastic and that make it easy to get the chins out. Those dust houses and the ceramic dusters allow for the chins to wedge themselves inside so that I can't get them out when I want to put the dusters away. (I have a lot of chins here, so this is probably not that big of a deal for someone with a few pets!)

Those ceramic houses are too small for a full grown adult chinchilla. You can use the gallon fish bowl, like already mentioned, gallon pickle jars, or candy jars. Some people use an open pan of some sort and you can always use the plastic bath houses that the pet stores sell. Just make sure you do not leave it in the cage for more than 10 or 15 minutes or it will get chewed.

I agree.......those little ear type ceramic things they sell at the big box pet stores are made for growers. Not for adult chins. Don't waste your money on them.

I have a plastic Rubbermaid dish pan that I have to use for two chins. They are just way too fat for anything else. But I pull it once they are done dusting. They do manage to bite it from time to time. Used this type for years with no problems. However you have to stick around.

I use a Ryersons metal pan and I have a cookie jar.

Last edited:
I use a plastic bathroom house that I bought at a pet store.
If you do get plastic, watch that they don't gnaw on it. Fish bowls are an excellent idea!!

Bath House

We use a medium size Tupperware storage box. It work really well for all of our chins. They do not even try to chew on it when its bath time. The ceramic houses are way too small for chinchillas. I like the fish bowl idea. :thumbsup:

What kind of fish bowl do you use? The round ones with an opening on the top?

You know, I always thought those dust baths with the little ears on top looked too small for a chinchilla to get inside and actually move around for a dust bath, but I wonder if it work work as a little chilling hut. Like, keep it in the fridge until she gets hot, and then put it in her cage for her to curl up inside. Just a thought.

What kind of fish bowl do you use? The round ones with an opening on the top?

Yep, the traditional looking ones. They work really well. The bottoms are heavy enough so they don't tip it over when they perch and the glass is thick and sturdy. I think they cost about $10-15 at Petco.

I honestly wouldn't have thought about it except the woman we bought Vincenza off already had it as her dust bowl.

As a side note, we never leave them unsupervised. No matter the thickness of the glass they're bound to get themselves in trouble.

You know, I always thought those dust baths with the little ears on top looked too small for a chinchilla to get inside and actually move around for a dust bath, but I wonder if it work work as a little chilling hut. Like, keep it in the fridge until she gets hot, and then put it in her cage for her to curl up inside. Just a thought.

That's not a bad idea!

For the folks who have the Super Pet Chinchilla Bath House (the plastic one) or any other bath house that has a softball size opening or smaller, how do you get an angry/scared chinchilla out?

We acquired 2 chinchillas a few days ago. One is awesome and has taken to us already. The other barks all of the time and is afraid of just about everything. We made the mistake of letting the freightened chinchilla take a bath in the plastic house and she wouldn't come out. We put the house in her cage and left the room hoping she'd come out, but no luck. Those houses aren't ventilated well and she started to overheat. I got her out, but it wasn't easy and I was afraid I'd hurt her.

Can I just forgo bathing her until she warms up to us?

I only use the glass gallon candy jars that they sell at walmart and target ($5-$8). I have one boy that refuses to get out even if I pick up the entire jar, with him still inside, and hold the jar with the opening upside down... little stinker. Anyway, I now just use a large mixing bowl for him to bathe in, saves us both the struggle lol.

For the folks who have the Super Pet Chinchilla Bath House (the plastic one) or any other bath house that has a softball size opening or smaller, how do you get an angry/scared chinchilla out?

We acquired 2 chinchillas a few days ago. One is awesome and has taken to us already. The other barks all of the time and is afraid of just about everything. We made the mistake of letting the freightened chinchilla take a bath in the plastic house and she wouldn't come out. We put the house in her cage and left the room hoping she'd come out, but no luck. Those houses aren't ventilated well and she started to overheat. I got her out, but it wasn't easy and I was afraid I'd hurt her.

My little girl would just sit in there like that so we had to tip the dust bath and pretty much dump her out. I felt bad because she went and hid in her wooden hut. Now I do what Sandi does, use a large glass missing bowl (Pyrex). Plus, if they pee in it it's easier to clean!

I have one of the ceramic ones with ears and it works well for my 6 month old, but I can tell I am going to need something new soon as he is getting too big for it. I wouldn't get it for adults

I use a huge (and deep!) stainless steel dog food bowl. The dust goes everywhere, but my chins have their own playroom, so I don't mind at all!

Latest posts

Back