Chin names and how they came to be

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Names come at the spur of the moment for me!

Current:
Squishy- scene from Finding Nemo
Luna- Sailor Moon
Pooky- first Teddy bear (still have it in my drawer!) and from Garfield
Tulip - favorite flower

Angels:
Negrodamus- Chapelle's Show
Malibu- Wrong turn on the way from CA ECBC show and ended up in Malibu and the ocean (trying to get to Phoenix haha it was the best!)
Bogart- Humphrey Bogart

Former:
Milkshakes- Adventures from Billy and Mandy
Gatsby- The Great Gatsby
Templeton- Charlotte's Web
Gusteau- Ratatouille

"Peepers" - came from a line on the show "Supernatural" which I thought was
way too funny. It was also VERY late and I had reached that loopy
stage.

"D'Artagnan" and "Casanova" - Two little brothers that came to me whose
personalities suggested to me they would be my
"lover" and my "fighter".

And the Nameless One...No really. I have a little ebony girl whom I can't settle on a name for (Tabby is going to kill me). I wanted to name her after something in Supernatural too but...TBD:hmm:

Beaker: she makes these tiny squeaks in her sleep and when she's happy and bouncing around, she was just talkative right off the bat. So the noises reminded me of the muppet Beaker. Also I'm a science major and thought the name Beaker was appropriate for that as well ;)

Hash was my first chin. At the time I had two cats, MJ and Smokie. My friend's picked out Hash's name to go with the "theme" they thought I had going. (MJ was Mary Jr as she looked like a cat I used to have, Smokie was grey and named by my cousin haha)

Monaco and Cuda came from a Mopar phase I had going on when I was dating my ex. Cuda is short for Barracuda.

Smokie the chin came named.

Noon came about because when I got her, I asked my boyfriend what I should name her. Keith's response was "I thought I said NO?" So I looked up different words for 'no' in other languages.

Keith named Bella.

Diesel- because he is grey & white like diesel smoke, and very large

Smudge- when I got him, he was all white with a black smudge on his forehead, which has since turned into his "dot & eyebrow"

Roo- he used to popcorn all over the place, and when he stood he looked like a kangaroo

Koda- he was so little when I got him, like a baby bear cub (which is what Koda means)

Bostin- honestly I don't know where his name came from, he just looked like a Bostin.

Bear- he's my extra dark eb, so he looks just like a little black bear.

Moose- another animal color name, he's a brown velvet so he's the color of a moose, and I thought it would be fun with Bear. :D

Jack is my first chin. I can't tell you any reason he has that name other then it just fits him well.

Little Dude came next. He was little compared to Jack due to his age. So he was just the Little Dude.

Sunni and Olivia were white rescues from a bad situation. I wanted to give them pretty names. Not sure Sunni knows her name. But Olivia does!

Pip was a pip sqeak.

Lydia was a pretty name from some girl movie.

Jesse's previous name was Fred. Just didn't look like a Fred

Octavia.........where do I begin? In a previous human life she pushed her servants around in Rome.

I have not named the sapphire boy yet. He's the servant to the above wife. :hilarious:

Ava. Previous owner named her Lydia. Already have a Lydia so she was named after the movie star because I like the name.

Thomas..........named after my hero Thomas Jefferson.

I have to add the Gerbil T-Rex. My daughter named him Leo. Since he is a biter I call him T-Rex. He has a taste for human flesh. Little stinker.

Mandy - Was named by the breeder and I thought it was cute, so it stuck. A.K.A. Mandy Pandy, Mandy Moo
Val - Named by the breeder, but I call him Nibbler.
Leelah - Named after Leelah from Futurama, original breeding plan was to put her with Nibbler, who was Leelah's pet on the show.
Rex - Just seems like a cute name for him!
Mystique - Breeder named, and it's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl.
Petra - Breeder named and fits her well.
Cobalt - He's a dark Violet wrap and reminds me of the color.
Holly - Seems like a cute name and she's a sweet heart.
Giselle - Sort of original I felt for a chin name, and I like it ;)

I started w/ a Disney theme, inadvertently.
Lola (Hannah Montana show)
Pixie (Tinkerbell)
Jiminy (Pinnochio)
I still have 5 unnamed ones that I can't decide. :)

EEK, I forgot Zeke! He came with his name. I think I have too many chinchillas at the moment. Can't believe I forgot about Zekey. :confused2:

I had a chin name Pickachu , he was a mosaic and looked like Pickachu to me
Some of my chins have people names - I often have 'themes'. For instance, I have a bible name line. All the chins are from Samson, to Noah or Joshua to Esther (you get the idea). Then I have the 'alcohol' line. I bought a chin named Kahula, from that is Kamora/Tia Maria and so forth. I also have a chin I named Black Sambvca and one of his kits mixed with the Kahula lines is B57 (a Sambvca/coco drink). I also have a Pax, Shilo, Amity line. If I buy a chin with a name most of the time I keep it

Guvava- My first chin was named after a furry round creature that hopped from a Japanese cartoon series my husband was collecting.

Marble- We were planning get another chin. I had mentioned I wanted a mosaic and I showed my husband a picture of one then he said he wanted to name the new one Beanie (I don't know why) and I said no. Then I came across Marble and wanted to name him Socks because his way his markings were made him sort of look like a balled up pair of gray and white Hanes socks. Ed thought that my pick sounded dumb so then I got fed up and told him to pick a name that was not Beanie and he chose Marble. I figured it worked so we stuck with it.

blizzard-moms name was snowy, wanted something to match
tinkerbell-i love tinkerbell and always have an animal named tink lol
minnie-her brothers name is mickey
oreo-he is a white ebony and reminded me of an oreo lol
nugget-i work at mcdonalds and randomly thought of a chicken nugget when sweeping the lobby
coconut-i had a chinchilla named kiwi-i wanted something to go with it
boosie-rap artist lol
pebbles-intended on finding a bambam, never did
duece-he was 2 toned so deuce is 2
lexi-stole from aimee cuz i thought it was cute and couldnt think of a name
onix-means black

I call my girls different names all the time. No wonder they don't know their names. Names just pop in my head randomly. Lately these are the names I've been using:

My little Ploopies
Ploopers
Fatty McRatty
Buggy
Bunchy
Bugaboo

I'm sure I'll have some new ones in a few wks

Basil: My boyfriend asked me in a British accent which spaghetti sauce I wanted to use for dinner, garlic and olive oil or tomato and basil. Basil stuck.

Digit: He's named for what his missing. He was a rescue and has had quite a few of his front toes bitten off.

Murphy: My boyfriend named him. Don't even know where he got that one from.

Lou: Came with his name, though I take pleasure in calling him Louloubell.

Noon came about because when I got her, I asked my boyfriend what I should name her. Keith's response was "I thought I said NO?" So I looked up different words for 'no' in other languages.

That reminds me of a G-pig I had to have. Glenn didn't want any more pets so I named him Timmy after TM which stands for too many

Izzy- My chin's name came to me while watching tv. I watch the food network alot and I like Rachel Ray and she has a dog named Izzy and I really liked the name, but hadn't offically decided on it yet. My boyfriend's friends didnt really know what a chinchilla was and neither did alot of my friends. They would ask "What is he?" (what izzy...) so it was kind of a mutal decision to name him Izzy! And when people ask my boyfriend, "what is he?" he just says, "Exactly!" hahaha.

I finally named the last of my four. She is now "Arwen" after the female elf in Lord of the rings. They are both beautiful brunettes :)

My chin is "Binoo" from a kids show "Toopy and Binoo". He came with the name "Gizmo" but I already have a cat named Gizmo. So I thought he needed a new name.

Back