chin life span

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoshi86

How long is a typical chinchilla life span? I've heard a lot of conflicting info- some saying +20, some 5-7, others 10-15. What is the usual life span of a little chin?

Generally, chins can and will live to be around 15 years, but when raised properly can live to over 20. Chins that don't reach their full potential are usually due to health issues (malo, get sick, etc) or a lack of proper care.

+1
The number of chins that dies prematurely is overwhelming. Rarely will I see an 'old' chinchilla here. But most deaths are from unknown causes (owners not well informed/don't care,no necropsis, etc.) or heat strokes. Just last week I heard of 2 heat strokes that caused death.
I have two 7 year old chins and they show absolutely no signs of old age!

There is a member on this forum with a chinchilla who is (I believe) 23 years old. Definitely older than 20 years, I remember because it REALLY stuck out to me haha.

I know chins can live 20+ but I tend to believe most avg on 10-15 ... I've got one that is 9 right now and thus far is doing great.

+1
The number of chins that dies prematurely is overwhelming. Rarely will I see an 'old' chinchilla here. But most deaths are from unknown causes (owners not well informed/don't care,no necropsis, etc.) or heat strokes. Just last week I heard of 2 heat strokes that caused death.
I have two 7 year old chins and they show absolutely no signs of old age!
Agreed. Honestly, I know people say the lifespan can exceed 15 years and the average is somewhere around that or below, but it really does seem like less based on what I've seen and heard.

Agreed. Honestly, I know people say the lifespan can exceed 15 years and the average is somewhere around that or below, but it really does seem like less based on what I've seen and heard.

The average is based on chinchillas that live a normal life and pass away from natural causes. The majority of premature deaths in chinchillas are due to neglect or improper care on the owner's part. Improper care includes not controlling the chinchilla's temperature, in and out of the cage so that they suffer heat stroke and die. I've seen hundreds of cases of chinchillas dying prematurely, but that doesn't mean the average lifespan of a healthy, well-cared for chinchilla should be lowered to match what people do to them to make them die prematurely.

I have 8 and 10 year olds here. They're still in breeding and healthy as can be.

I remember someone had a chin who was 22 years old... I think his name was Gramps... I don't recall who it was though that owned him.

The oldest I have here is 11 and she's healthy as can be. The rest of my chins are various ages.

someone had a chin who was 22 years old... I think his name was Gramps... I don't recall who it was though that owned him

Golden Chinchillas is Colorado I believe?

I always say 10-20 years is the average lifespan. Yes some will die sooner for one reason or another, and some will live longer, but that's the average and that is how long you should be prepared to care for them. :D

I admire chin owners who have taken good care of his/her chins for years (4, 5, 6, 7, up years). That person made sure that the environment be safe and took care of his/her chins when they get sick. And s/he is doing an excellent job, by giving them the life span that they are supposed to enjoy.

Dante is going to be 17 in october and still runs around like a young chin. 5 of mine are all in the 8-12 year old range with no health issues. The only issue Dante has is he needs 10ml of CC a day for his digestive system and he gets filed every 6 months to a year or so.

I had a lady who adopted out a 10 year old rescue. Her previous chin had lived to be 23 years old and her friend that had a chin that lived to be 27. I normally tell people 10-15 years on average.

I usually say 10 to 20 years...but my little guys are only 2 and 6 years old. They are very well taken care of and the only real issue i've had was Sam getting an eye infection. Thankfully my little guys are healthy. :)

You never know but...

I had my oldest pass sometime last year. He was around 15. I always wondered how much time I could hope for and he was a really wonderful guy and excellent breeder.

Well, Trixie will be 6 in a couple of months, so she is still a young one, by these standards. She is still as playful and active as ever.

We typically tell people 10-20 years. And then explain that a lot of that depends on care and such...

We have several chins now that are in the 8-10 year range and they're doing fine! We actually had someone come over the other day that was potentially interested in chins, but wanted to learn more and pet some and see if she liked them before getting one (that's the people I like!). Anyway, we talked and I sat her down in the playpen with two males we have which are 8 and 10 years. Both very friendly once you catch them, but they don't want to be caught, so they're running around like they're on speed and she's trying to pet them... she was amazed how old they were! She asked me if I meant 8 and 10 months, because she was sure that a 10 yr old chin would have to be on its last leg, versus running around like this male was... Which is why we educate...

Back