Chin Diagnosed with Statis and seems to be in lots of pain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, when dealing with GI patients you stick with fiber, the digestive tract needs as much bulk as it can get to grab onto when it starts working again and that is CC. LL mixed with CC if fine in any other application to enhance feeding but not with stasis or bloat.

While I think it's really neat that she will be on TV, Feb. 5th isn't that far away. If it were me, I wouldn't bring her that stressful of an environment unless I was sure that she was 100% better. Also, he immune system may not be 100% up to par because of her very recent sickness, so I would also take that into consideration when bringing her into an environment with that many people.

She is on oral Baytril and so far she is still eating on her own. I only tried to give her the CC one time and she was having none of it. Its hard enough for me to get the Reglan, Baytril, Metacam, Simeticone and the oral gel probiotic in her - she is one of those chins that does not want to be held and I have a real hard time with just those, so I don't know how I'm going to add CC to the mix, but I am going to try.

She seems much better, still comes out for playtime and is not making too much sound anymore.
If she is not 100% better then I will not bring her to the TV show.....I may bring my other chinnie Annabel in her place.

One last question and I'm sure I already know the answer, but would any kind of treat such as rosehips or oats be OK to give now? I'm just thinking maybe sticking an oat or small peice of rosehip on the CC might make her more apt to eat it with less fuss.

I'm sure that is probably a big no, but just thought I'd ask.

Does she like simethicone? You can dip the tip of the syringe in simethicone (I use dyne) and give it to her, she tastes the simethicone first and then you squirt a bit.

Yes she does like the simethicone, but as soon as she sees that syringe now she wants outta there. The first night at the vets the tech showed me how to give her the meds and she struggled so much he got alot of it on the fur around her mouth. She really hates that. As soon as she is done she is pawing at her mouth and rubbing her cheeks on the ground in an effort to clean herself. I wish she could understand if she didn't fight it there would be no leakage and it would all go in her mouth instead of around it.

So far I have had someone to help me....my boyfriend holds her while I get the meds in, but tonight I am on my own as he works the next 2 nights.

I don't think the vet tech knows how to best give a chin their meds, lol.

The best method is to burrito them. It's the same as swaddling a baby. Put her on a towel and wrap one side around then the other so only her head is sticking out. Is she eating okay on her own? If so I wouldn't bother with the CC. Otherwise you just have to struggle through, she'll get used to it. It's not called force feeding for nothing!

She doesn't seem like she's eating as much today, so I thought I'd have another go at the CC. I got almost a syringeful of CC in her. Man, she is one pissed off little chinnie girl right now. I hope she forgives me:broken:

Last edited:
Handfeeding for a length of time actually tames the chin, short term they hate you!

So maybe someday when this is all said and done I'll be able to dress her up in a little outfit like yours!

Ha! That will never happen.

I just bought your calendar recently it is so adorable !

What is the proper dosage of Critical Care. Tonight I was able to get about 2 1/2 syringes in her after mixing in some simethicone and LL. I guess thats about 2.5 ML. Did I read somewhere she should be eating 5-10 ML ?

She's taking the Reglan and Baytril like a champ, but she just doesn't want the CC.

Is she eating anything else besides the critical care? Is she pooping?

If she is not eating anything else & still has issues producing droppings then she needs to be getting at least 50-60ml or more in a 24 hour period.

Wow, thats like 10 scoops of the stuff? She is eating some hay but not as much as usual and she is pooping some, but again, not as much as normal.

I think Claire meant 50-60 mL of it mixed with water. I don't know how much that is of it dry. Some people would say more, but really just get all you can into her and aim for at least that much.

Eating hay and pooping is good!!

Jez is off all her meds now and is doing much better, but her appetite is still lacking and her poops are very small and light brown. She does eat some hay and pellets but not enough. I try to give her Critical Care but she hates it and I can only get a few syringe fulls in her. Once or twice she has bitten off the tip of the syringe. She will not allow me to do belly rubs.

She's lost around 20 grams and I can feel her backbone. I am going to try to get the flavored CC, maybe she will like that better.

Questions:
She's been off the Baytril since Sunday, how long til her normal appetite returns?
Should I continue with the Simethicone drops?

Back