Chin Biographies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st chin Bobo--beige female, 3 years old, mom to GiGi
2nd Abigail--beige female, 2 1 /2 years old roughly, poorest fur quality of all my chins, but my dearest sweetest darly baby EVER! She is the best friend of the beautiful Solange
3rd chin Gigi--beige female, 1 1/2 years old, daughter to Bobo and now matter how old she gets she will always be my baby daughter chin
4th chin Solange--GORGEOUS light tan, nearly 2 years old, best friend of Abigail
5th chin Leonard--beige male with NO freckles! 5 years old. I saved Leonard from a life of eating popcorn and marshmellows from a loving but uneducated family, he sleeps in a fish bowl, LOVES attention from humans HATES other chins
6th chin Mick St. John--violet male, turned 1 in December, he's named after vampire private detective Mick St. John from the cancelled CBS Moonlight, therefore he is my vampire chinchilla! He came to me at the same time as his best buddy Wesley.
7th chin Wesley--extra dark ebony, turned 1 in November. He is best buddies with Mick St. John and the goofiest of my chins.
8th chin Bronwyn--beautiful, beautiful, beautiful white mosaic, she is about 9 months old. I'm hoping to have her live with Solange and Abigail.

Those are their biographies, each of them is the most wonderful, cute, loving chinchilla ever!!!

Phoenix.. male, age unknown ...my little parking lot reject that didn't look like he'd make the trip to the Vet that first day, much less, gain weight and make an almost FULL come back (he still has malo). His color seems a mystery ..he looks violet to me ..white belly, black eyes ..but folks have insisted he is tan (from his photos). This little dude has stolen my heart ..with his very vocal nature (he coos and snuzzles me face) ...and his huge, trusting soul ..even after all the stuff he's been through. He even loves the hubby! :heart3:

Obsidian, a dark standard or a poor black velvet ..still a mystery to me also, is in the 5 to 6 year range ..I'm her 5th home, at least! She has ENORMOUS ears ..even for her voluptuous size ..and she's in love with her buddy, Palay.

Palay, a beige 2 year old, with the prettiest "violet'y pink'ish" eyes I've ever seen. I'm her 3rd home, if you count the breeder, and she's been bonded to Obsidian since she was wee little.

The girls have only been here a week ...just shy of a week, actually.. so we are still learning each other. They are a little nervous with me.. to be expected.. but they warm up and let me scritch ..and they are always open to a "treat" (a wood stick, a cheerio, a shreddie or a dried piece of dandelion or mint from my backyard).

My little baby Pax was bought from a petstore in the Dutch Caribbean in November of '08. I went to visit the petstore for fun and found that he was living in horrible conditions, a tiny cage, no chew toys, soiled bedding, brown water, no ac in 87 degrees, his cage was right by a blaring tv. The next week he came home with me. He was about 5 months when i bought him. I recently took him to the vet to find out that he was actually a she lol so now I have a baby girl. Pax means peace in latin and that is exactly what she brings to my life. She is energetic, bouncy, loves exploring and being absolutely mischievous. She is a black velvet and weighs 600 grams. She is absolutely beautiful, loves perching on my feet, and she loves it when you sit by her so she can jump all over you. Today she was especially loving and playful and she always brings a smile to my face (she is very clumsy also which makes for a few laughs). She loves to sleep on her side, which scares the living daylights out of me. She is the most friendly in the wee hours of the morning. She loves orchard grass, getting new chew toys, and goes nuts for her dust baths. She will eat absolutely anything including flip flops and chewing my laptop (she actually loves climbing on my laptop and writing message to people). She loves to play, she loves her rocks, and she loves to poop everyone and anywhere. She will be going back home to Canada with me in June, and hopefully she will love her new home.

Long one FTW!
Doof - Mama's special girl. Born January 5th. My best friend (Rest her soul) took me to get her. She earned her name by her inability to figure out how to get from one level to the next. Not a bright bulb, but one of the cutest. I should have named her Sprayer, about 10 months or so she learned how to spray, and boy did she take a shining to it. Used to have a biting problem, now just nibbles rather hard, but working on it.
Bubbles - Mama's big gal AKA Bub Bub. Age is unknown. Rescue. Had a rough life. I found her through the no no place (CL). She was being caged with two other males (Little did I know the man had originally bought ten at an exotic animal sale in Ohio and had them ALL caged together, but sold 7) with no shavings, no liner, no timothy hay, murky water, tons of plastic, GUINEA PIG FOOD and kaytee dust bath. Took me about...3 days to clear up her diarrhea, a while to get her social skills up, now she's my lil chubbers.
My Lil Guy - Bout a year and a half old. Super cute. Originally fell in love with him before he was for sale and whined a bout it for a while. Then one day checked the website and he was for sale! Jumped on that immediately. He hates his tail to be messed with but loves a rose hip. Likes to play tug of war whenever I give him a new toy (By that I mean he'll tug it from my hands, run away, bring it back and sit it infront of me, wait for me to pick it up then repeat) He's a mama's boy for real.
Aiko - About 10 1/2 months old now, truly beautiful girl. Outgoing personality, charming, but OH so silly. She climbs up the side of her cage like a little tree frog and just 'hangs out' lol. Adventurous to boot. She's the first of the cage (Caged with sister Rini) to come up to you. I love her to death, gorgeous markings.
Rini - 10 1/2 months old, formerly named Chachi. My friend Autumn helped me pick out the name, she said in Japanese it means 'little bunny' so I thought it fit. She's a bit shy still, but that's alright.

All my chins also have different tastes in music...Some will popcorn or run around and bounce off their walls to one song, then give me the stink eye on the next. My Lil Guy seems to LOVE a song by Flo Rida, I think it's called Right Round, can't remember.

Last edited:
Both of my boys are rescues.

Chula

100_1234.jpg

Found him on CL. I had been researching chinchillas for a long time knowing I wanted one. I had been looking around for awhile and was going to get one from a breeder in Jacksonville. The day that I was going to go to the breeders home I actually saw the ad on CL. It was for a male, approx. 1 year old. They wanted $100 for him and the cage, and all his "accessories". I went over there to see him and my heart just broke. He was in a small cage, plastic everything, no hay, no food (they were feeding him cheerios), cedar bedding, no wood anything anywhere, scented dust, ball of death...it was bad. I took him straight to the pet store to grab anything I could. I ended up getting LM Animal Farms everything (hay, feed, and dust) just because anything was better than the nothing he had. After about 2 weeks of him actually eating I did the switch over to Mazuri (I had to order it anyway and I knew it would take about that long to come in). Now he's a friendly, plump little guy. I love him muchly.

Buttons

IMG_2502.jpg

Buttons was part of a rescue of 31 chinchillas from a breeder who wasn't taking care of them. She bred chinchillas and sugar gliders to sell at the flea market. Upon realizing she lived in Florida and couldn't bring the chins to the flea market (for fear of them overheating) she spent all her time on the sugar gliders. They were well taken care of, unlike the chins. Chantel took in all the rescues, and I went down to her and picked up my Buttons, and a little beige boy and standard boy for Sugarmama. Buttons is now getting settled into his new home. He still doesn't like being handled, but seems to be getting better. He's gaining weight and will take food and treats from me, but as for petting and scritching, that's where he draws the line. :p I'm hoping he will eventually open up and trust me more, but either way he's now a member of our family.

ok...

Leroy - Born 23rd November 2006. Leroy is a Black Velvet possible sapphire carrier. He has an impressive pedigree on paper; Born from a Ritterspach Black Velvet Sapphire carrying male and an Etherdale Sapphire Carrying Standard female. Sadly, he is no-where near as dark as his dad, which leads me to think he probably does carry Sapphire, hence his poor veiling.
He's a nervous little guy, who doesn't like new places or new things - he shakes bless him. Having said that, he is my playful boy. He hates being touched in the day but at night, he begs me to play with him. He's curious and is fairly big at around 680g. He has the cutest little baby face that he never grew out of.

Stitch - Born 26th October 2006. Stitch is a lovely Sapphire Carrying Standard boy. He comes from half import lines, half award winning lines. He's a big 780g and is my lazy laid back boy. He's a good looking male, who you can pick up and cuddle and he's quite happy really. He's not very energectic and his favourite past time is eating.

I've owned Leroy since he was 3 months, and Stitch was 4 months old. I adore them both.

Wow, this would take me a LONG time. I may have to try it though!

I love everyone's bios- great job!

I have one chinchilla, named Binx. I found Binx in a pet store and I just fell in love. I put down a deposit and picked him up the next week. When I went to pick him up, he was sleeping eyes open and on his food bowl. What I saw next broke my heart. The shop owner got a box, and chased him around the cage for about a minute, scarying little Binx half to death. He finally got him and put him in the box. I got home and put him in his Superpet cage, but I had left the plastic ledges, etc out. He had a carboard tube, a plae house, carefresh, cholla logs, and he was already happy. I, the same week, ordered a QC Townhome. I switched him over to Mazuri, he gained 100 grams but Binx ended up having an abcess! We had course after course of meds, had the thing surgically removed, and it came back. He went on Baytril, and another surgery. He pulled through and is now happy & healthy! He is back up to 600 grams. He is switching over to PANR soon and hopefully will gain some more weight.

okay----

Stolie was surrendered to me by and idiot of a girl...when I went to pick him up he was in a closet, in a bird cage with these horrid metal bars holding up these splintering pieces of wood, charlie chinchilla no hay in sight, no dust baths, nothing...

Jack (the bunny) came from a boy (4yrs old) and his mother who didn't want him anymore because he didn't like her son grabbing at him. Poor thing was missing so much hair from the little jerk pulling on him. Was also in a cage about 1.5 ft by 1 ft...:yuck:

Sambuca and Heiney were from a nice woman who was moving and couldn't take them. They are mother and son and though she did make some newbie mistakes, I will admit that she was a nice mommy to them...

Lena is my last rescue. She was the smallest (under weight wise) that I had gotten and had a bad eye infection arise shortly after coming to me...she has put on about 100 grams and is doing very well. She was very badly neglected and a guy who was involved (not the neglecter) was nice enough to bring her to me...

Here are everyone's stories:

Rayna: my first chin, I didn't do very much (hardly any) research prior to getting her. When I saw her in the petstore, she had ringworm all over her face and looked absolutely miserable. I took her home that day. Rayna will be five this coming September.

Fluffernut: also from a petstore, but more of a rescue. He wasn't very social, and would actually bite or spray when someone tried to touch him. I got him home, and started noticing him jumping up and down in the same place several times. I realized that he was having seizures, and eventually pinpointed it down to low blood sugar. Fluffers will be 5 this year.

Twilight: I purchased from a breeder at the Mansfield show four years ago. He is the cutest, cuddliest chin I have. He's a mosaic. Twilight will be four this year.

Charlie: a rescue that came to me in August 2005. He had bladder stones that were removed within a few weeks of me getting him. He has since recovered well and just has to avoid excessive calcium to prevent reoccurence of stones. Charlie is approximately seven years old.

Orville: I got him in December 2005 as somewhat of a replacement for my little Wilbur who had passed only a few days after I received him (died from rectal prolapse). He shared a cage with Fluffers and Twilight before Fluffers and he turned on Twi's. Then he lived with Fluffers, when Fluffers turned on him which resulted in toe amputations.

Aurora: Rayna's daughter. She will be three years old this year. She doesn't have much of a backgroud story, actually.

And Starlight: My little amputee; she came to me almost two years ago and will be five this year. She had her leg amputated two days after being surrendered; it was broken and splinted but never healed and the owners never gave her pain meds, so she was chewing her foot off when she came to me. She's done exceptionally well!

Since I wrote about everyone else, I wanted to include Stewart and Georgie.
Stewart is my 50lb border collie mix that I adopted four years ago from a local animal shelter. He came in one day when I was there and he was going to be put down due to aggression issues. He was a stray and was reported to the dog wardens when someone saw a man beating him with a broom. He's still afraid of brooms to this day. He was 23lbs when I got him, and terrified of EVERYTHING. He's since gotten much better and much healthier! His gotcha date was January 29, 2005. He's probably between 6 and 7.

And Georgie Bunny: He is a 17lb French Lop/Flemish Giant mix. He was 1/2lb when he was surrendered to me (from a petstore selling rabbits for Easter). His gotcha date was March 17, 2007, so he's two years old. I'm thinking and really hoping that he's finished growing now.

So that's my herd....I think...I hope I didn't leave anyone out...

Cervantes the Dread Pirate Sterner-Hahn: Born by surprise on Thanksgiving day(ish), 2006 to an unwanted birthday present standard female and a wanted standard male. His brother died due to owner neglect two weeks later, though his sisters were fine. I, knowing next to nothing about chinchillas, was pretty sure that the guy who owned their parents was in over his head. (Come to find out, he might be able to handle sea monkies if someone reminded him to feed them on schedule.) The thought of him taking the easy way out and just sticking all 7 in one of his little cages made me sick to my stomach, so after the other male died, we told the owner we'd take the remaining male kit, making the 'easy' thing to keep the females in one cage and the males in the other. I've got word he's since rehomed all of his chinchillas, though what circumstances they went into I don't know.

A possible fur-chewer, Cervantes is very watchful of anything going on in the house and likes music by Amon Amarth and Karl Sanders, as well as anything else with string instruments or flutes. His favorite treat is a Chin Thin from Kelly @ Mystic Mosaics, though this will probably change again in a few weeks, and his favorite chew toy is anything made of/with grape vine. His favorite pass times are reassuring me that all is well with little strings of barking, and trying to figure out what exactly is inside my left nostril. :confused2:

Crash No Touchy Sterner-Hahn: Born by surprise during the summer of 2007 to a pair of chinchillas that the owners thought were both male. The kits (a male and a female) were surrendered to ForCHINate Chins Rescue in Cleveland, with which we'd made contact before bringing Cervantes home. There they were christened Pitter and Patter. I couldn't have told Carise about our decision to look for a second chinchilla a week before she took in the kits, and in September of that year, we signed the paperwork to bring Patter (soon to be Crash) home. :) His sister is apparently doing well in her adoptive home, and both have been immortalized online on Carise's "Previous Chins" page. Crash is the one with the striped background behind him, since he proved a little camera shy without some help. He was christened Crash during his first bathroom play time when he had to learn the hard way-- and repeatedly-- that one does not necessarily stop moving just because one's feet do, or conversely that the entire world is not a wheel that will rock back and forth if one simply stands still. :oops: His middle name came about shortly thereafter when he led us a merry chase through the house to get him back into his cage.

Weighing in at 968g of solid cute and muscle, Crash is the Jimmy Buffet of the chinchilla world, preferring to sleep all day and play all night. He has quite the fashionable eye, however, particularly for the condition of my eyelashes and bangs (fringe). While not as attracted to music as his brother, he enjoys it from the comfort and safety of "The Poop Chute", a PVC pipe elbow hanging in their cage, as well as a good long run on the flying saucer. His favorite treat is a rose hip, and his manners when offered one are very refined. His favorite chew item is a piece of natural loofah... or my eyelashes or bangs. :)

3CsMommy... I love your bio of the boys! So... umm.. what exactly is in your left nostril? :rofl:

This is going to be a fun post. I drag my feet about posting pictures most of the time. So telling all of you about the gang will be fun.

Number one chin and most worshiped is Jack. He is a het beige. He was about two when he came here from a young lady who lost interest in him. He was posted on my husbands work sale board for $25.00. My first question was, "Whats wrong with him?" ( laughs) That was five years ago. He loves to mutter to me and likes a smooch. He insists his feet be kissed and reminds me each day how happy he is to have "the good life here."

Number two man is Little Dude. He is a standard. Ran into Pet's Mart for supplies and came out with a chin. I think it's been four years now. He loves a scratch and is my Olympic wheel runner. He can chew wood to nothing in two seconds flat and stirs my heart to melt waiting for his goodnight petting.

Number three man is Mr. Wilson. He was a Craigslist post along with his wife Ava in the spring of 08. Mr. Wilson is a het beige. He was seperated and moved into a QC mansion, given a wheel and lots of wood to chew. His full time duty is to guard the women chin's next to him. He runs from place to place in his cage insisting on a belly rub and snack when I grace the chin kingdom with my presence.

Pip and Lydia are bonded girls. Pip is a pink white and Lydia a tan. Lydia came from a now closed down pet store that kept all animals in deplorable conditions. She and a previous cage mate Kiwi were the smallest and most vulnerable ones I took out of there. Kiwi sadly attacked Lydia about a year later and had to be adopted out. Pip was bought from a breeder as a small kit and Lydia took to her. Lydia went into a very frightening depression after her beating and snapped out with baby Pippy's arrival. I wish both were more friendly but I love them just the same.

Ava. Ava and her husband Mr. Wilson came together off Craigslist. Ava is a dark Ebony. The lady keeping them had financial trouble and couldn't care for them anymore. Sadly they were bred for money and kits sold to a pet store across town. Ava suprised me with three kits. She mauled one and I had to put the babe down. The other two boys a standard and medium ebony were adopted together by a wonderful chin savy family who keeps me updated. Ava loves her wheel and is the most tender hearted gentle girl. I think after a year with us she is still awe struck at her peaceful living conditions. She loves to hear me whisper to her. She takes her almond snacking very serious! hee hee

Francene is a white Violet. Dainty and a bit shy. She was purchased from a breeder spring 08. She loves racing down the tube in her cage and is most excited about dusting. She melts my heart laying down in her pine box to sleep with her precious face peeking out. Sadly she is too small for my future breeding program and has been spoken for by a new family. I'll miss her when she leaves.

Dane is a violet. He was purchased from a breeder in 08. He is very handsome and quite shy. He loves his wheel and makes me chuckle over his love of sleeping on the ledges vs his nice pine box. I will have him evaluated this year to see if he would be an added addition to a breeding program with a great quality standard female.

Jesse. Jesse is a standard male who was purchased last fall as a tween from a breeder. He has no idea he is a chin. He loves to have his entire back massaged while continuing to lightly kack. I'm not sure if he wants me to stop or I've missed the wrong spot. Having said that, he doesn't run away. ( laughs) He will stand still and wait for you to rub his entire belly and slowly sink down into a massive fur ball. No matter what favorite snack that is given he will grimace as if he is being handed a turd. :hilarious: Then will take the offering. This guy is built like a tank!!!! He will be going to York this April and I look forward to my first show. With winnings or not, this boy is staying! His personality is crowd pleasing. Always happy go lucky without a single vice.

Alrighty, here goes...

Cheeko AKA "Cheekers" is a standard male that came from Petsmart last summer. I'm guessing he's around one year old. I went into the store a few times a week to see this little guy, he was so sad and really had no life to him. After going to visit over a months time, I decided to bring him home! He is the most gentle of my brood. He loves to cuddle and groom my eyebrows, eyelashes and my forehead...silly boy. He thinks that anything I have in my hands is a treat...it could be a Cheerio or a turd, he HAS to try both LOL. He will always be my special boy as he is the one that introduced me to the wonderful chin world.

Next up...Gideon, he's a white EC male, one year old who I purchased from a breeder as a friend for Cheeko. He is the funniest little guy with a personality bigger than he. I think he has "split personality" disorder as he's a little wacked sometimes. His favorite pastimes are sleeping & watching TV (he sleeps like the dead) He loves to pick on the others, until he's put in his place of course, and stirs up trouble all the time. Although he and Cheeko had a rough beginning, they are best of friends now.

Then we have Frick & Frack, the two Beige twin brothers. They are 9 months old. I hadn't planned on bringing in any more chins (laughs hysterically) but Monika from PTChins (the same breeder I got Gideon from) just HAD to email me a picture of these two and I fell in love. Frick is a little nuts sometimes and very inquisitive. He LOVES his treats!! Frack on the other hand, is calm and gentle and loves to cuddle with his brother as they sleep.

Next is Remi, he's a BV that I got from Shelli (Chinchildren). He is the same age as Frick & Frack. He is such a doll and a very persistent little guy! I think he has learned how to tell time because for an entire hour before playtime he will pace back and forth by his cage door...seriously, he does this for an hour! He enjoys playing tug-o-war with his treats and is a sucker for scritches...he twists himself up like a pretzel. His behavior is sometimes very odd, but I'm assuming it's common in BV's as I've heard stories of them doing the craziest things.

Finally we have Roo (short for Rooney). He's a standard male, age unknown, but I'd guess around 2 years old. He, just like Cheeko, is very loveable. I went to Alex's (6Dusters) to buy some apple wood and she had taken this fella in. I interacted with him for a bit and he stole my heart! So, I came home with apple wood AND Roo :thumbsup: He's a very patient little man and is curious about the other boys. He loves jumping in and out of his hammock and grooms my hand every time it enters his cage.

Those are my furkids :heart3:

Back