Came home to empty cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
I had been rotating chins in cages trying to get them used to each others scents in hopes to get a cagemate for one. I had been using a cat carrier as the extra. I ad to keep shadow in it for a week while he healed so Ididn't worry. My best and brightest Moche was in it when I left for work. He chwed a holee and was gone when I came back. I looked for three hours. Nothing. I'm devastated. He was my baby. My little soft. How could I have been so dumb? Is there any hope? Could he be alive and hiding past my ability to hunt fir him or should I pray he won't stink as he decomposes. I just want to crawl in a hole.

He Is probably alive my chin got out of her cage and was missing for 2 weeks before i heard her finally crying inside the wall so we had to take a little saw and saw little pieces of the wall all over the house until i say her sitting the hanging onto a wire... dont give up hope i thought my little darling was gone just keep looking and listening im betting he'll show up :thumbsup: think positive

Take his dust bath and put it on the floor, then sprinkle some dust around so he can smell it! Vacate the room for 15 minutes, come back in quietly, and pick him up in the dustbath and put him back in the cage! Sometimes it's that easy - try it!!

I'm sure he's just hiding. As others stated, just keep your eyes & ears open for sounds of a lost chinnie. I've had luck in setting out an open cage they climb into, with food, water, dust inside in case they're in want of anything. Eventually they climb in and I close up the cage. Longest I've had a chin run loose was almost 2 days - lil stinker had somehow chewed a hole & climbed up inside the boxspring of my bed.
~Barb~

also be very very careful about moving furniture and recliners. he could be hiding under one and by moving it you will crush him.
also if possible put his cage on the floor open with food and water and he may find his way back in.
if you have other pets be very careful they cant get to him and finally be very careful about opening doors as they could dart out without you even knowing.

There is dust on the floor and a bowl in everyroom. I have one couch that he can hide under, but I just use aflashlight to look under it. I'mjust so upset. I keep crying, then I can't see I'm afraid he is in the walls. I'm in an apartment. So I warned the manager he's out and to call me if anyone suddenly has mice. The cats will chase but not hurt. They're too pampered. Thank you you guys have given me hope. He was my little buddy. He eevn sat still for cuddles.

Don't worry, Shannon. You'll find him. As long as he didn't get outside, he'll be fine.

I don't know if you remember, but I had Hank get out that one time and get into the air ducts of my house. He was gone for a week. I left out food, treats, dust, etc. One day, exactly one week later, he reappeared. I had just spent two days discussing having the exterminator come out and help me find his body...

I hope that you find him REALLY soon because it really is just miserable not knowing where they are. I know how much you love that little guy.

Just a thought, mostly because I have had a hedgehog do this... that couch you mentioned earlier... is there any way he could get inside it? The couch I had had a tear in the cloth lining under it... I had a hedgehog find her way up inside the frame.

If there are doors in your apartment close them all so the chin can't continue to move from room to room.
Chances are it's sleeping right now underneath something or in something. Later tonight you should walk around and look for any poop.

Once I came home to an empty cage too and almost fainted but thank god I found my chin Autumn hiding in the closet inside the playroom... I pretty much just followed the trail of poops lol I know exactly how you feel and good to hear that you found your chin :)

yay!! so glad you found him. i hope everyone who has read this thread remembers what to do if their chin escapes. when my stitch made the great escape, i just remember what i read here about not moving the furniture and putting out the dust.

LOL The Great Escape! :) I've had a few of those myself over the years. I believe that my own life has been shortened by several years because if these escapes.

Chinchillas eventually find a way to get out if there is any way at all to get out. The only thing that we can do is try to make things chewproof and to have the doors and latches be stronger than the chins.

Back