Cage Location

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle43

I have had Chinny for a few weeks now and in that time his cage has been in the spare bedroom. I wanted a quiet spot for him to adjust to the new house, sounds and of course myself.

Now that we have all adjusted I am wondering if he should be moved into my bedroom or the living room where he will get more interaction. The living room would be nice, but I am worried about the television during the day disrupting his sleep time.

Any suggestions?

If it were me, I'd pick the living room. Chins are noisy, especially at night, so you may find it hard to sleep with the chin in your room.

Don't worry about the tv. They don't have sensitive hearing, their hearing is much like ours and they will sleep right through the background noise of the tv.

My living room/dining room is all one big open room. Instead of having a dining room table, my chins are in the dining room area. As I type this my boyfriend is loudly playing a video game and all 7 chins are zonked out. I like having them in here as I get to see them pretty much all the time and I think they enjoy it, too. Plus there is no way I could sleep with them in my bedroom. They aren't phased at all during the day by anything really.

I keep my chin in a spare bedroom and then bring them out into the living room at night. They get to have their playtime with us and then sleep during the day in the spare bedroom. It works out for us, because we are up late into the night..

I think that the living room would be a great place. My chin is in my bedroom. I dont find him noisy at all...but I also have a hammy in there...shes noiser than Winston is. I really think it is all personal preference. Once I get my own place, he will have his own bedroom. :)

I'd go the living room.

My chins are in my office (where I spend most the day) and the daily noise never seems to bother them.

I wouldn't put them in a bedroom...my guys get roudy at night!

Annabelle is in our family room as well. I usually have the tv on during the day and she doesn't seem affected by it at all. She doesn't even seem to be bothered if our dogs bark. I like having her where I can see her during the day so I can talk to her if she wakes up and wants to play. She is really noisy at night too so I don't think it would work out for us to have her in a bedroom. :tree3:

Good to hear the noise of the TV won't bother him :)

He will be moved out to the living room this evening. It will be nice to have him closer to us.

all 3 of mine are in my room. Only on certain occasions do they make it hard for me to sleep or wake me up. I love it cause if I'm feeling lazy I can stay in bed and watch them have fun.

I have mine in my bedroom just because I'm afraid that they'll escape and something will happen to them, so that way in my room they're contained to a limit. I don't have any issues with them being noisey though, I just sleep through it.

Mine is in my bedroom. She cries if I'm sleeping and she is not next to me. I play classical music at night while I sleep and can't hear her at all.

I have 5 chins in my bedroom right now. I use a fan for white noise and I don't hear a thing (this is with all of them having a wheel as well). The others are in the living room.

Well the move went well, he likes it out there BUT...

He was pretty excited and jumping around all over and got his foot caught in his wire shelf. It was very scary, he was hanging by one foot. I am so glad I was right there to help him. He isn't limping and there is no open wound so I am crossing my fingers he is okay. I will take him into the Vet tomorrow if it appears to be at all painful for him.

I already ordered wood shelves last week, they just aren't here yet. After he got his foot caught I quickly sewed fleece covers for his current metal shelves. They are 1/2 by 1/2 so I thought they were okay. It was very scary, this has been his cage since long before I got him. Glad I was right there to grab him.

How scary! Poor boy. Good job the wooden shelves are on the way, and at least the fleece is down now which will do nicely as a stop gap until the proper shelves arrive ;)

Poppy is in our kitchen - which sounds crazy, but our house is very open plan and our stairs come out of our kitchen - her cage is under the staircase. The oven is way across the room (its a massive kitchen) so its not too hot (actually heat is not a problem at the moment in the UK, its minus 3 degrees C) and as the kitchen is central to our house we're walking through it and past her cage all the time. Currently DH is playing piano, the baby is running around shouting, I've been on the phone and Poppy is still fast asleep.

Back