Cage Decore - Suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinsmom

I got my little boy a new cage recently, one with much more room. I'm looking for some suggestions for "home decore". I currently have, of course, his food dish and water bottle, a flying saucer, two ledges, a hanging hay holder on one side,two hanging chew toys, and a wooden hidey house. He's a wild little thing, and I'm sure he could use other things in his cage. His cage is 4'X3'X4'. I don't want to clutter up his cage, he needs room in it to run, but I can't help feeling like he needs more. If any of you out there with more experience than me (which should be most all of you) would be willing to give me any suggestions, please don't hesitate, any and all would be greatly appreciated!! I just want to make sure that my little boy has the best house I can give him. Thanks! :dance3:

I'd say a fleece tube or hammock would probably be nice. I know some chins like to hang out at the top of their cage which they don't do in their wooden house.

Otherwise more hanging chew toys is always good to give them some variety. You can always swap them out after a week if they're not chewed up.

Maybe try a small bridge. Phoenix and Sedona absolutely love it. I have mine going the length of the cage but you could always have it go width so that he still has room to play and maybe put a ledge on one side and maybe a tube or something on the other. You can also put some toys on the bridge where you connect it to have it hang. I think I'm going to buy some chain and do that with the bridge this weekend.

Fleece, fleece, and more fleece! Also different varieties of chinchilla-safe wood. Many sponsors of this site have creative and unique items specially crafted for chin abuse.

chin decor - advice?

:hair:

Thanks all of the awesome ideas, y'all!! I went browsing through yummyChinchillaToys.com, I found a really cute fleece tube, some of the cutest chew toys, and some ledges, oh - and the coolest ladder! The only problem is, I tried to email her to ask some questions, but I wasn't able to. Can anyone tell me - how would the fleece tunnel be cleaned? I mean can the fleece be detached from the tube and will it hold up to a trip through the washer? How big a pain would it be to detach and reinstall? Could someone let me know? I've seen so many awesome things on heather's site, my pocketbook's itchin' and needs a good scratchin'!! Eeeeeeeeee, I can't wait to get started, he's just gonna love it!!:clap1:

Sierra, can you post a picture of your bridge? Please let me know how the hanging bridge turns out - if you don't mind, post a pic of that after you do it too.:thanks4:

ThreeLilChins - thanks!! I'm going to brouse through them as well right now. Oh yeah, I absolutely love your idea of abuse, evidently great minds think alike!! I just wish more people had the same definition!!

Last edited:
Yup I will let you know. I'm hoping to have it done by Sunday. I have to buy the chains and was thinking about buying some stuff from Forchinate Chins to maybe place on there to give it some color.

Sedona likes the hanging toys but she favors the foot toys more but I'm going to try to maybe make some different combinations of hanging toys to see what she likes the best.

Here's what the bridge looks like now:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135485#post135485

Oh man. Those cages are awesome! I love that bridge, and the babies are gorgeous!! The little two legged one ain't bad, either. I have an 8 year old, and she just loves our little guy, she's just as excited about adding to Chinzilla's cage as I am. We were given a little hanging monkey for him by a friend, and she's just dying to put it in his cage for him but I'm a little hesitant because he's furry. I'm a little afraid that he may eat it's fur. If I do let her put it in there for him, I may shave it first. Anyway, I also liked the hammocs - I may try a fleece one for him. He has a hammoc and I could see "evidence" of him having been in it, but he never really spent any time in it. Maby the fleece would be better for him. As soon as I get things together, I'll post some pictures. Thanks!!

Yeah Hayley had just finished petting Sedona and I was trying to get a picture of it but it didn't work.

Phoenix slept in her hammock a lot when I first put it in but then when we put the chin spin in she never used it and just hid in the corner at naptime.

Sedona never was interested in her hammock but would just jump in it and then jump out. I just made her a flannel hammock so I'm going to place both in her cage and see which one she likes better and hopefully she does use one. lol

I was going to suggest a hammock and a fleece tube too. My fleece tubes (from 2 different sellers here) are machine wash and dryable. If you can turn a sock inside out, you can take off a tube cover. The only pain in the tushie seems to be lining up the holes for the bolts to go through, but that's only b/c my tube covers are plain black, so the holes are harder to see. If you get something with a pattern, even that wouldn't be a problem. :)

I just made her a flannel hammock so I'm going to place both in her cage and see which one she likes better and hopefully she does use one. lol

Becareful with flannel - fleece is safe for chins because it doesn't unravel threads like other fabrics. if your chin chews on it, it could lead to impaction.

I would also suggest looking for some natural grapevine ledges! My chin loves these, plus they double as a chew toy! I'm having the same problem looking for stuff to put in my chins cage...I think I'm going to buy a fleece tube!!!!

Becareful with flannel - fleece is safe for chins because it doesn't unravel threads like other fabrics. if your chin chews on it, it could lead to impaction.

I asked some people on chat and they weren't sure. I don't have a problem with Phoenix or Sedona chewing on fabric but I will watch her carefully before I make my decision to leave it in there while I'm at school. :)

Thanks to all of you, I've got some great ideas. I was also thinking about putting in at least one stone ledge. I was going to get him a chinchiller, but I've been told that the flagstone ledges sold at chinontherocks.com will do the same thing. I attempted to order a large corner ledge from them, but there seems to be a problem with their security certificate. I sent them an email, but have not yet recieved a response. Do any of you know where else I might be able to find a flagstone ledge for my little guy ? I've started shopping, and I think I'm going to go with a fleece tube & hammoc - I feel a little safer with fleece. I also found the coolest little ladder for him at Yummy Chinchilla Toys - ok, I've found a lot of cool things for him there! My poor husband seems to cringe whenever I go near my puter these days, wonder why?

:hair:

Can anyone tell me - how would the fleece tunnel be cleaned? I mean can the fleece be detached from the tube and will it hold up to a trip through the washer? How big a pain would it be to detach and reinstall?

They are not hard to take off and on at all. The place I order my tubes from have directions on the tubes on how to reinstall them. It's pretty easy, as you line up the seams on the x's and with the holes (on the tube) and pull the liner up and tuck the extra inside the tube and pull over the top of the tube. And they hold up really well in the wash, but you can not use fabric softener on them. And air dry them as well. I usually hand wash mine and then hang them out to dry, but that's just my preference.

I would get a fleece couch too, as you can put them on a shelf for them to sit in. Each of my chins have one and they love it for when they watch TV with me. But what ever you decide, you're chinnies will love what you buy them!

And pics are a must after you get the cage done! :wink2:

Well, I've been shopping, and I'm now waiting for everything to come in. I ordered a fleece tube and matching corner hammoc in the cutest zoo print, as well as a really cool ladder and more assorted things to make hanging toys for him. I got a chin chiller, which is now in one corner of his cage under a couple of ledges that I already had there. He likes to hang out in this corner, it's right next to the chair I sit in. I also received the flagstone ledge I ordered fro one of the corners, but I've decided to have a couple extra holes drilled in the outside edges of it so I can stabilize it from the top of the cage. The ledge is a lot heavier than I thought it would be, and I'm afraid of it falling and hurting him if I don't. Let's see, I also just received a lava ledge for him - I was a little nervous about him cutting or scratching his little feet jumping off of it, but from what I've seen, this does not appear to be a problem. I'm still looking for a bridge, and think I may just make one. Anywhay, once I get all of his stuff, I'll be "decorating" = eeeeeeeee, I can't wait!! As soon as I get his house in order, I'll learn how to post some pics. Thanks so much to all of you for all of the wonderful ideas! :dance3:

Well, let's see - my (his) fleece tube and hammock, ladder, lava ledge, cuddle buddy(s) as well as the flagstone ledge have all finally come in. I cleaned out his cage last night, which meant a trip to his carrier, and we all know how he just looooooves that - well anybody who's visited the "Fuzzy Little Temper" post will know!:rofl: We have now started the renovations on his highness's throne room, all but the flagstone ledge have been installed. The ledge is pretty heavy, and I just don't totally trust it so I'm having some holes drilled in two of the outside edges so that it can be stabilized from the top of the cage. Well, after the cleaning and drying, we released the little heathen into his home, and he went absolutely wild!! First there was the investigation - sniffing, looking, and of course, the obligatory chewing - then it was on!! He was all over the place, and totally lovin' every minute of it. He just absolutely loves his tube! He was in it, on it, around it - several times over. I was a little worried about his ladder, you know, he might slip, he might fall, what if????? I'm such a schmuck, that ladder's no match for the might of Superchin! He even seems to really like his hammoc, though he only jumps in and out of it at this point. It was a total trip to watch!! right before we let him in the "royal place of places", as is the norm, I placed fresh chew toys on his ledges, and placed his cuddle buddy (we call him Mortimer) on his hammoc. Poor Mortimer, our little boy immediately and uncerimoniously jerked the poor little thing out of the hammock and onto the floor :pillowfight: It seems that the only use he has for the poor little thing is that it makes a right comfortable chair. I'm afraid the little fuzzmonkey just doesn't seem to play very well with others!:hilarious: I have a few other things I need to get, I'm planning on installing a suspension bridge, a couple more ledges, and I'm in the process of making a little swing for him. Right now, he's sneaking a little snooze in his tube - he looks so peaceful and sweet right now, of course his horns are totally hidden:laughitup: I'm sorry for rambling like this, but it makes me feel so good to see him so happy - believe you me, you can see it on his face - they have such expressive eyes, I just love 'im!! Any way, one of the suggestions for goodies was grapevine ledges - if anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know. I have a little "couch" coming to match his tube since he really seems to like fleece, and I'm now working on getting him litter trained (good luck to me!) so that I can order matching fleece cage liners for him. This is still a work in progress, and I want you all to know how much I appreciate all of your wonderful suggestions!!

Ok, here's what I've done so far, I have a few more things I want to do, but "His Highness" seems to be enjoying the renovations so far. I did get him a little bed that matches his tube and hammoc since these pics were taken, and I plan to get him a suspension bridge, and possibly another tube as well as some more ledges. If any of you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears!!:):)

Attachments

• P1010024[2].jpg
    P1010024[2].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010025[1].jpg
    P1010025[1].jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg