Buying food from members or pet stores?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PITSTOP64

Hi all,
I was wondeing,is it better to buy treats & food & hay from this site?
I know I had purchased some timothy hay from a popular pet store,and I thought the quality of it wasnt very good!!
I compared it to what the breeder had given me to start out with,and her hay seemed much nicer & soft!!
So what is your opinin?

Before I started buying my food in bulk I bought from members here. It was cheaper than pet stores and more convenient to get it shipped straight to my door.

I started out buying my chin's food from camphorchins.com, I have since switched food and now buy from Ryerson's chinchilla ranch online. I still do order chin treats from camphor chins and qualitymutationchinchillas.com, they are both great places to order from and much cheaper than pet stores. Generally you can get fresher food and safer, healthier treats from members here.

I buy Oxbow from Sandi her prices are great and the god is fresh. When I first started buying from her I still had some leftover food from the petstore. Sandi's food looked and smelled so much better. Even my chin loved her food more. I gave Shelly two bowls that night. She pushed her store bought food away and fell asleep in her bowl of food from Sandi.

I buy my food from Sandi and she is great. It arrives very prompt and smells great. She also will take the time and aswer any questions that you have. I would recommend her to anyone.

I buy Oxbow from Sandi her prices are great and the god is fresh. When I first started buying from her I still had some leftover food from the petstore. Sandi's food looked and smelled so much better. Even my chin loved her food more. I gave Shelly two bowls that night. She pushed her store bought food away and fell asleep in her bowl of food from Sandi.

i can totally see shelly doing that! shes such a goof.

i agree with everyone though, buy from sandi! the quality and price of the food is good...and sandi is just awesome anyways! giz loves his food, he gobbles it up. he used to take about 2 days to finish a bowl of food but now he's ready by his dish same time every day.

sandi....giz says thanks!

Aw, thanks guys for all the great reviews :cute: ! I do try my best. The link to my thread is in my sig below.

Cindy, that is too funny about Shelly and I am with you on the iphone issue. I typed "oops" in a text and it was sent as "poop" LOL! And Luci, give my cutie pie Giz a scritch for me! :D

I always get my Oxbow here in town. There's a store where I can get a 10 lb. bag for $13.50, which is great.

i hope this doesnt take away from the thread but where is the best place to get hay?

Try to see if you can find a local farm near you that will sell you a square bale or less for a reasonable price, make sure it's 2 crop or higher depending on the harvesting times where you live the farmers near you may get even 6th crop if it's dry enough. The higher the number of crops the better quality, try to get stuff that has been recently baled in this years harvesting season or stored for less than 6 months. You get it in really large bulk and you can always rely of freshness. Make sure that they don't use any chemical fertilizers and such, although they shouldn't because it puts their own animals at risk, but double check.

I prefer to order from the members here. Better quality, better prices, and we all share the same passion for chins.

I have to buy in bulk with my amount of chins (50 lbs of feed at a time), so I buy from feed stores. Shipping 50 lbs of feed would kill me in shipping prices. I used to buy my Oxbow from Sandi and she was always very reliable and I got my pellets within 2 days of ordering. If I had less chins, I would still be buying from her. :))

I alternate where I get my hay..depends on the prices, and what's available. Sometimes I buy online, sometimes I can get good hay locally depending on the time of year.

I also recommend Ryerson Chin Ranch. It helps that I only live 30 minutes away so I don't have to pay shipping! But they sell Tradition food WAY cheaper than the food you'll buy in a store! (and better for your chin!!) You can also order alfalfa cubes, supplement, and dust from them.

Back