Brownie emergency!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverrose

Chinnie kisses!
I have been challenged to a brownie bake off at work. So I need a tried and true recipe for the most delicious, most indulgent brownies asap. Help!

Can you "Cheat" or does it need to be fully from scratch? I normally make everything from scratch but recently saw the most amazing recipe, that used a boxed cake mix...I took some to work and they were a HUGE hit, hubby is having me make another batch so he can take them to the ER with him tomorrow!

If you can here is the recipe I followed:

Knock You Naked Brownies

■1 box (18.5 Ounce) German Chocolate Cake Mix (I Used Duncan Hines)
■1 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
■1/3 cup Evaporated Milk
■1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (additional)
■1/2 cup Butter, Melted
■60 whole Caramels, Unwrapped
■1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
■1/4 cup Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, chopped pecans, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and melted butter. Stir together until totally combined. Mixture will be very thick.

Press half the mixture into a well-greased 9 x 9 inch square baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set aside.

In a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water) melt caramels with additional 1/2 cup evaporated milk. When melted and combined, pour over brownie base. Sprinkle chocolate chips as evenly as you can over the caramel.

Turn out remaining brownie dough on work surface. Use your hands to press it into a large square a little smaller than the pan. Use a spatula to remove it from the surface, then set it on top of the caramel and chocolate chips.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for several hours. When ready to serve, generously sift powdered sugar over the surface of the brownies. Cut into either nine or twelve helpings, and carefully remove from the pan

Preferably from scratch. This one guy swears his brownies from a box will always win. But that recipe does look delicious! Lol.

They really are, I was amazed but no one could tell there was a boxed cake mix in them!

I've got you covered. I normally cut out the coffee. You can add it if you want. However, I personally feel it takes away from the chocolate. :D

This was adapted from a recipe for chocolate globs in the Soho Charcuterie Cookbook.

1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups diced walnut pieces
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.

Melt together the butter, chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and chocolate chips with flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not overbake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares

Do they have to be plain brownies? I made a recipe of smore brownies (with toasted marshmellows on top) that were definitely indulgent! If it appeals to you, I can post the link. They do need to be served the same day, though, or the marshmellow hardens too much.

Can your recipe be without walnuts Cindy? One of the "judges" doesn't like walnuts in her brownies...

I would be making these the night before, so your smore brownie recipe probably wouldn't work for this event. But feel free to post it, I'm sure I can use it for another occassion!

Can your recipe be without walnuts Cindy? One of the "judges" doesn't like walnuts in her brownies...

I would be making these the night before, so your smore brownie recipe probably wouldn't work for this event. But feel free to post it, I'm sure I can use it for another occassion!

Yes it can. I often make it without walnuts.

It's a long story... in the end, there was neither a contest nor a winner. But I think everyone was happily fed. I made two batches, using Cindy's and Megan's recipes. They both turned out great and will definitely use the recipes again in the future. Thanks for all the help and yumminess!

Yay! I'm glad you liked them. It's one of my favorite recipes. A pain to make, but worth it.

Glad you liked the recipe I posted! I am thinking I may have to do those slutty brownies next!

Latest posts

Back