Breeders/ranchers posting on the forum

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There are many ways to do the right things for your animals and not just one right way of doing things. Take all the information you can get and make the best decision that works for you and your animals."

What Jags said.

I didn't want this thread to be finger pointing. I just think we have a wealth of knowledge to share and shouldn't be afraid to post. I know I do things differently than others.

Different is one thing, dangerous is another. I mean if a breeder thinks it OK to do a DIY amputation, yes there was one here who did just that a couple of times, then you should get slammed, watching a chin slowly die and posting on the forum while you are watching it die, yes a breeder here did just that, then you should get slammed, weaning at 6 weeks as opposed to 8 weeks big deal, just a different approach.

I have a lot of respect for breeders and experience owners. My youngest chinchilla and first chinchilla will be four in September. He came home with us at just four months old. I have to say that if it weren't for this forum and a wonderful breeder that there was so much that could have gone wrong. I've met many of the California breeders on the board at shows. I am amazed at how giving all of the breeders are with information. I even got to hang out with Ellis Adcock of Dark Star at a show and hear his opinion along with the judges. It was an awesome experience to show for a short time because it taught me so much. When I decided to just have pets no one deserted me but unfortunately my breeder passed. Now I am especially thankful for the board because it's here if I need someone with more experience to help me through a crisis.

I wouldn't be on this forum if wasn't looking to learn as much as possible because this is really the only source of info I trust.
Please don't stop posting, all of you, especially not on my threads or in response to my questions, because I wouldn't be here if I didn't want input from all of you, seriously. And I know you wouldn't waste the time you could be spending on your 9123235232324823094 chinchillas if you didn't care about the wellbeing of my single little guy.

Honestly, I wish more people were active in the classifieds. I know SO many breeders on this forum...but the classifieds are dead? Makes me wonder why...when I know so many of them have animals to sell?

As far as posting for fear, meh, I gave up the fear a long time ago. This fall will be 10yrs in breeding for me. I've learned a few things, but not everything. I have my own opinions, and don't expect everyone to share them. I get bashed, life goes on. My main issue in regards to not posting a whole lot...it seems like every thread that I COULD offer advice on...already has good advice given by the time I arrive on scene...I don't want to be like "I agree with so and so" to every frickin thread. Seems redundant.

As far as buying a banner, if I did (which I haven't yet) it wouldn't be to avoid posting here. It wouldn't even be for the exposure. It'd be to support the forum that I truly DO believe in.

When CnQ went down, I was totally lost for my chin fix. I do LOVE to read the threads when I have time. I also like having easy access to the breeders/suppliers on the net as I don't always get around to making calls on a regular basis. So I'm so glad we have this forum, really I am.

My thoughts overall? This forum probably does drive people away to some extent, both old timers and newbies. I've referred several customers here who I know are avid net users who've not registered. Should we all tiptoe on eggshells because of that? I don't personally think so. I've been here, I've been bashed...I've had my disagreements...lost customers to forum gossip/chatter...do I care? Not really but that's ME and who I am. As for the classifieds, could probably be replaced with a "breeders list" with clickable username and I'd be satisfied.

Honestly, I wish more people were active in the classifieds. I know SO many breeders on this forum...but the classifieds are dead? Makes me wonder why...when I know so many of them have animals to sell?

While I have BOUGHT several chins through the classifieds on here I really don't post too many for sale because typically potential buyers end up being just too far away and unless there is an upcoming show or something where I can meet up with people it just seems fruitless...maybe I am wrong but a lot of people aren't like me willing to drive several hours for a chin...

Plus with me being newer most of the time I am only going to be offering pet quality males so I don't think that other breeders would be too interested in them...

While I have BOUGHT several chins through the classifieds on here I really don't post too many for sale because typically potential buyers end up being just too far away and unless there is an upcoming show or something where I can meet up with people it just seems fruitless...maybe I am wrong but a lot of people aren't like me willing to drive several hours for a chin...

That's the problem that I'm running into. Most of my sales come from breeders who already know me from shows or someone searching for my website online (and even then, because I live in the boonies, most people won't drive out to me, they expect me to drive 8 hours round trip to them for a $100 animal free of charge).

As far as being afraid to post, I've had my fair share of being slammed on this forum (well at least, on CnQ it seemed like I was the talk of the town) - but I could care less anymore. I think I've well proven myself as far as shows go that I'm serious about what I do and I'm going no where. I know there are still several who turn their noses up to me, but I could care less, it's not worth my time anymore. If I feel that something is important enough to post, I will, and I don't hold back my thoughts because of it. If the admins don't like it, they're welcome to delete it.

I used to post of the forum a lot now, but as Ange mentioned - by the time I check threads, they're normally answered and it is pointless. To me, 10 posts a month isn't a lot, but trying to find good threads to post to is harder than it used to be. I don't want to make threads with just pictures of my animals, I have no questions to ask and I'm not going to just make up questions and debate to have a classified ad, sorry.

For the banner, I'm not paying any more than I already do for my website, which is almost $200 a year. If I can't get the exposure there, then it's just not meant to be. There are many different free avenues of listing such as eBay Classifieds (old Kijiji), Hoobly, local sites and DomesticSale.

I too know what your saying Jessica. I don't post some things on this forum due to the "police state."

IMO there are a few people on this forum who sit on their chair daily and wait for the opportunity to use their ill will on anyone who just happens to be in the cross hair that day. Pet person, breeders or ranchers.
It reminds me of this :deadhorse2::realmad::skeptical::barf: And it really gets old.

If I need help I go to my mentors. Not so much the forum. Because I know it will bother my "ZEN" to have a few on this forum add their two cents of "spew vomit spew" to an otherwise well meaning question or thread.

I look all the time for animals for sale on the forum. Not sure if that helps or not. BTW I love your standards Jessica.
If I am going to buy an animal(s), I have a pretty good idea who is working with a specific color and has my budget in mind.

I'm not really sure what "police state" you are referring to. In order for the forum to be civil we have to have rules and rules are to be enforced. Any other forum on the internet has rules. I've gone through posts of those claiming to be "slammed" and have yet to come across something that would be considered offensive and outright attacks. Once again, it seems to me that anytime someone's advice/opinion is questioned or not agreed with, it is taken personally and offensively. A lot of it is a new person posting a picture of their chin in a cage full of plastic, feeding it raisins, etc. etc. and when the members here say something for the well being of the chin instead of gushing about out cute it is, the person gets offensive and throws a fit.

We do not allow people to harass or outright attack another person. Anytime someone feels personally attacked they can warn the post and the staff will take care of it. However if the disagreement is civil we allow it to stand because we allow anyone to give their ideas/advice so long as it is not outright dangerous.

If you really feel this forum is not useful and all that happens is you getting bashed, then coming here to just post on these threads to bash the forum itself is not really useful. Like Peggy said, these threads always go in one direction. Don't let those few people delegate your opinion of a forum of over 6,000 members. And if you still don't like it, no one is forcing you to stay here.

I don't post a lot either, although I generally check the forum once, twice, three times, oh okay maybe five times some days for new and interesting topics. In most cases if I have an opinion in mind I will say it "carefully" in most cases. There are a few things not said due to the large amount of pet people and its not a pelt friendly forum. But in most cases the threads already have good suggestions, which is great, because that means its a well informed forum. So breeders/rancher are there topics that could be refreshed, threads to start, or any new polls that could us more involved without taking away from the information that we still need to chime in on the forum? Everyone likes to complain a little but are there any "helpful" suggestions?

I've been quiet not from fear of being bashed.. but I just simply don't have the time. I have learned a long time ago not give a crap what other people think of me.

With a new baby, a farm to take care of, the chinchillas, my work in pit bull rescue, a full time job and a part time job selling Pampered Chef... I find I have little time for forums. I stop in, I browse if something really catches my attention I may post or reach out to someone... but right now "life" has taken the front seat for me.. It has nothing to do with the pet owners, breeders, ranchers, mods or general members here.

As far as being attacked.. It's been like that for years. I've been on the receiving end of the club for some of my views, I've sadly been the one holding the club before. I want no part in it anymore. If I can't help someone through education --bashing and dragging them through the mud does nothing. I suppose as I grew up and formed my own opinions I've learned that through the years.

Last edited:
If one truely thinks what they are doing is right, who cares if it is debated, post it anyway and let others make their own decisions. I don't feed raisins, I got called out about not recommending raisins by some breeders, so what, I will still recommend not feeding them because I think I am right. Just bully on.

Kyle, fortunately CnH is a "pelt neutral" forum, which in my opinion means that it is pretty much "live and let live" or "agree to disagree". Inflammatory posts by either those anti-or pro- pelting are not allowed.

Well then I will have to agree to disagree that it's pelt neutral. They wouldn't let a post stay that was talking about the MCBA Shindig because it said there would be a pelting demonstration. That is not pelt nuetral an honestly things go better if its either pro or anti. Just my oppinion :)

I think the term "pelt neutral" is misunderstood. What that means basically is that we are not going to allow someone to come on and say OMG, PELTERS ARE SCUMBAGS AND ANIMAL ABUSERS AND WE SHOULD CALL PETA. Does that mean the forum welcomes an open discussion of pelting and all it entails? IMO, no. To me, that is just as bad as the caps up above. Pelting has been discussed on forum several times, just not by going into the gory details.

BTW, if I remember correctly, the pelting demonstration remarks were removed for the safety of the MCBA show, not for for the sensitivities of the forum members. Nothing like advertising to animal rights activists (who frequent many forums) where they can come and film a live pelting demonstration, huh?

YES.

I know I don't speak for just myself because in the past year quite a few of us had this conversation. I know many of us who have been breeding for many years have a wealth of knowledge to give to new breeders or pet owners. And it bothers me that we feel we can't say anything for fear of being ridiculed or slammed. I know myself I don't post much because I see others get nailed for putting their experience out there.

IDK. It's something that's been eating away at me. Is this the reason why others have bought banners? To have the right to put ads up without contributing to the forum because of the fear of backlash? I've heard yes.

THANKS, Peggy!!! That makes perfect sense now -- you are absolutely right about the risk to the show and its members. :thumbsup:

Eh, what's this FB group mention, I didn't know about it! ^^ I tried a search but came back with too many hits to find it.

On topic, I'm not a veteran breeder, merely an aspiring one with long years of pet ownership experience. When I first came here I was more reluctant to post opinions or questions because I was afraid to be scolded or called stupid after seeing some threads where a new owner would post a dangerous cage set up ect. I am a shy person in general with social anxiety and I think this is maybe what some people are talking about when they say they feel intimidated. But I got over it, I'll for sure stick my foot in my mouth, say something stupid, or even something people will agree or disagree with, and I am ok with that.

I really love CnH because people do post varying opinions and there are the pet and breeder point of view on here. I've always been the type of person that tries to see the other person's side, even if ultimately I do not agree.

Now I have to try not to spam too many posts! I work at a place with a lot of down time and my only outlet is reading; I read a lot of books and troll through forum and FB content. So now, I have to stop myself when I notice the last 5 updates in a section have my name on it haha. That and not being a veteran breeder I feel also that my opinions are not worth as much as I am basing it on pet experience or knowledge gained from others.

There are some topics I have been hesitant to start because I feel like people might be polarized too much on the topic, or might label me as a bad breeder before I even get started! I loved the show we had recently in WA, the judges shared some of the mistakes they made starting out. Aside from the knowledge brought from learning from their mistakes, I realized it made me feel better about my anxieties over messing up when I startup my own breeding program in erest (so far my only adult female is now sterilized). We all make mistakes, we sometimes have to learn that way. The judges showed that they were not afraid to admit to being human and I think more of us should feel so inclined and I hope to be so brave.

I think I'll go start one of those threads I have been thinking about but afraid to post. =)

Maybe I'm way off base here, and I'm not a breeder, but I think if you can't post something that you believe to be right or that you actually do for fear of being "bashed", maybe you need to rethink what you're doing?

We're all adults here and we all aren't always going to agree on things. That's the beauty of this forum. So what if people don't agree with you? Does that make you a terrible person? Does that make them a terrible person? No, you either ignore their criticism, or you realize they may have a point and move on.

Back