Biodegradable bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ippo456

I currently use Kaytee aspen & I was wondering if it's biodegradable (if I could dump it in my compost pile).

If it's not, do you know what brands sell biodegradable bedding?
I know that Carefresh is biodegradable, but it's expensive.

Thanks.

I think the more accurate questions to get answer are whether or not chinchilla droppings are safe for the compost pile and what impact the potential for ammonia would have on the compost pile.

Plenty of people use their chins bedding as compost. My parents used it on our fruit trees when I was living with them. The feces and dust are a great compost and the shavings and ammonia didn't have any impact. We got sweeter, larger fruit when we were using my bedding as compost.

I've heard many times that chin bedding makes great fertilizer for the garden. I've also heard of people offering it off to people via freecycle and places since it works so well.

We use it in our garden... we have a very large garden. And you can tell the difference in where it's put and where it's not.

what impact the potential for ammonia would have on the compost pile.
Everything that degrades puts off ammonia. Chin poo puts off considerably less than a dead squirrel, for example.

Given the volume your average chin puts out there is almost no impact. Dumping 30 chin's worth in my randomly appearing yard holes doesn't even burn my grass. It's not very potent poo in comparison to cattle and horses.

Thanks for the replies. I just want to make sure that the aspen bedding I use for the chins can be used as compost (in case the aspen has been treated in a way that is not good for the soil).

I've never done compost in my life. Do you put the bedding right there? You need to 'process' it with a compost thing? Sorry loll, I don't really know how to express this!

Latest posts

Back