Best way to travel with chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem

I know lots of people here frequent shows and travel quite a bit.

I'm wondering what is the best way to travel long distances with my two chins. I have a carrier for them, but would it be better to take them on a flight, train, or simply to drive? I don't want to stress them out, and please keep in mind that I live in south Texas, so the weather will play a huge role in this plan.

Haven't found a plane yet that will let them in cabin or as checked baggage,only cargo shipping and no trains (Amtrack )allow any pets. I've been searching all over trying to figure a safe way to get a chin from the other side of the country short of driving there.

It will likely take around 18 to 21 hours of driving... I'd certainly stop in a hotel at night.

As long as you keep them cool and give them some food and water at night (at least), the drive shouldn't cause too much of a problem. I have driven chinchillas for a couple of days or more and they do fine. Usually the vibration from the vehicle driving will mellow them out or make them very sleepy. When I make delivery trips to Phoenix the chins will sometimes be in the car for 8 hours or even more and they come through it very well. The most important thing is that you keep the air conditioning on and keep them out of direct sunlight in the car.

Thank you Susan, I thought as much but just wanted to be sure. The AC won't be a problem, my car can freeze me out and I prefer things as cold as possible.

I would guess for the sake of keeping them healthy and clean I should change the fleece in their travel cage at night.

What about exercise for them, should I leave them out at night for a little while?

I have also traveled with chins up to about 20 hours and they did fine. I did let them out of the carrier for a bit at night just to they could stretch their legs and act like their crazy selves.

Offer water whenever you stop and at night. If you put the water bottle on the cage while you drive, it will leak and you will have wet chinchillas.

I would think that whatever allows you to keep an eye on them is preferable, so probably not flight since they'll probably be in a different area of the plane. When I had a chin, he made it through our ~16 hour flight, but it took him a few days to go back to normal as he was stressed by the long flight. GL.

Back