Best temperment by color

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temperment/mutation

• Total voters
... Seems I found a topic that gets under the skin, so too say.

I never expected to find one color having a better temperment. I expected to find that for the most part chinchillas are their own animal. I was hoping to find a trend through, and I am... Super cool! Thanks every one!

Just my personal feeling, but my Blacks and my Standards are some of the sweetest I have here. I also have the most of them. My beiges are the worst.

It has always been opposite for me... beiges have been my best, and blacks and TOV hybrids have always been the worst ;)

From all the chins I have owned and cared for (while their owners were on vacation or whatever), this is what I have found.

The friendliest/calmest have been standards (by far) and mosaics. ALL of my standards have had amazing temperments.

Black Velvets that I have known (only 4 so this may not mean much) have been for the most part, calm but grumpy.

Pink Whites seem to be extremely shy. I have two who are both really sweet but really shy and have several friends with PW's who have found the same thing.

Beiges that I've known, with the exception of one, have for the most part been grumpy and would rather be left alone. I call them the "old man" chin... they would rather just enjoy life the way they want and don't want people messing with them.

Last edited:
Well this is tough I have a beige girl who is a TOTAL sweetheart of a girl, but then I also have a couple of beige girls who are Satan incarnate! My beige boy is super sweet to humans but will shred off the face of another chin.
My two sweetest boys are a violet and extra dark ebony.
My shyest chin is my light tan girl, Solange.

Beiges that I've known, with the exception of one, have for the most part been grumpy and would rather be left alone. I call them the "old man" chin... they would rather just enjoy life the way they want and don't want people messing with them.

HAHA, this is my beige boy Pika for sure!! Grumpy chew. Once you get him out of the cage though he is a sweety. It is just when he is in the cage that he looks like a grump. Outside, he will sit with you for hours.

I have a brown velvet who is very sweet, though not much of a cuddler.

And then my two standard boys. One is fairly calm, a little grumpy. THe other is a complete spaz!

The only one I had that was a total spaz was a standard from a pet store. I never bought another one from a pet store because of it. I think that was the main problem. There is no telling what happened to the poor thing before it came to me.

My husband and I have really gotten close to the beige ones. Of course, my white mosaic will jump on my face to say hello when I open the cage. She will also come to me when I call her name. She loves to sit in my lap too.

I heard that dark ebony and black velvets had attitudes sometimes, but our Twink is the sweetest chin. Face it, we have ten sweethearts of all colors. Heh!

I don't think color has anything to do with it. when I only had 3 whites I found them to be pistols, my two newer ones are sweet. But it isn't color as much as genetics. they are Mother....Daughter and daughter's daughter. I think it is a learned trait.

My vote is for violets. Every violet i have is super layed back. They are very sweet.

I had to vote for violet as well. Very limited experience, but Kenai is the sweetest little guy - very mischievous but very cuddly. Kokomo (standard) is a softy at heart, but he'd never admit it. He'll get all cranky and bark at us to no end when he's in his cage (but never bites), but as soon as we start in with scritches, he soaks it up :))

My tan boy and my ebony girl both have the most laid back temperaments. My standards, on the other hand have been all over the place.

People used to say that anything of the TOV gene pool tended to have nasty attitudes and I can agree with that a little.... my black velvets have usually been a little more difficult. But then I did have a huge black velvet male who was a huge teddy bear!

Hmmmm
I guess it depends on what the op meant by "best" temperment.
Does this mean most friendly? Laid back? Most playful? Most outgoing? Or could it possibly mean which chin will let you do anything to it without fussing?
It seems all my chins have distinctly different personalities. Because of that, I can't really vote which one color is best. I suppose that is what makes each personal pet special. ;)

I have to say while my Black Velvet is sweet, he doesn't like to be scratched or anything like that, but my white mosaic is more independent.
I won't vote since these are the only chins besides standards I know :)

I have never had a mean pink white, but my mosaics tend to be high strung and kind of nuts in their own way...back flips stuff like that. My violets are very sweet too, and I actually have mostly super sweet tov's except one who is kind of crazy!

Wow..... its came back from the dead... the poll I mean. I actually really like seeing all the responces for this poll. Its that nature vs nurture argument gone fluffy. I love seeing the differences in experiences that people have had. Its really interest. Thanks everyone!

My violet girl is the sweetest! and my Ebony guy is the fiercest! But still they are still sweet babies to me!

I don't think there is anything linking temperament to color. I think a more accurate view would be to look at the breeders and lines that chins come from. Temperament is very important to me, I pull crazies out of breeding because I don't want crazy kits and I don't want to have to deal with crazy breeders spraying at me, or flying out at me, I want nice sweet chins that want scritches and meet me at the door. I will not breed temperament over quality, but I do highly take temperament into consideration.

Some of the friendliest animals I've owned personally have been violet, standard, white, beige, and black...

I too don't think it has anything to do with colors but genes. I have an absolutely love in a extra dark ebony male and the same in a pink-white female and their 'lines' produce sweet loving chins. All the other colors (including other ebonies/pink-whites) have varing degrees of friendliness

Latest posts

Back