Best bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

What does everyone prefer for bedding? I know that there are numerous choices, wood shavings, paper which is commercially available and more. What does everyone use and prefer?

Most people here use and prefer aspen or pine bedding. It's cheap, absorbent, and works well, and keeps their already minimal odor down.

I use both Carefresh & pine bedding. I just recently switched over to Pine because I have a big bag I had left over from when I bred rats/mice. I had used Carefresh when my Chinnies were at my boyfriend's apartment because it seemed to be less messy than Pine shavings.

I like fleece. Its a lot cheaper than constantly buying bedding, just shake them out, toss them in the wash, and re-use! And there's less mess because the bedding doesn't go flying out when the furbutts decide to party like a rock star and fling everything out! Plus I think it just looks nicer with cute fun designs! :)

I have fleece liners, which i like. I can sweep up the poop every other day, and wash them as well, so it is important to have a few sets. then i have a pyrex dish in the corner filled with pine shavings, where he uses the bathroom.

I use aspen!
When I adopted Zeb, his previous owner told me to get aspen so I've had it since. It's a huge mess though and he really likes to kick it out of his cage so fleece almost sounds like a better bet.

Okay thanks! I think I might switch over to liners. I don't hav a sewing machine though, where can I buy liners for not too much? (Or I might set aside a weekend to do some hand-sewing It'll take forever but it'll be the right dimensions.))

Okay thanks! I think I might switch over to liners. I don't hav a sewing machine though, where can I buy liners for not too much? (Or I might set aside a weekend to do some hand-sewing It'll take forever but it'll be the right dimensions.))

I got my liners from www.jenscustomcrafts.com

She made chinny friendly items for me. She has a slae on tomorrow...40% off your order...which is an awesome deal!!

I dont have 'actual' liners. I have Ferret Nation pans and I get 3/4 of a yard of fleece and just lay it on top and wrap it under. Works just as good as a liner, in my opinion. For design fleece I pay about $5-6 per piece, but you can get plain colors for $3-4.

FLEECE LINERS FOR THE WIN! It is so fast to clean the cages! It used to take me about an hour with pine, but now it takes me 15 minutes max?

Fleece doesn't fray so you don't need to sew. Just make sure it's super clean and get it to the right dimensions and you should be fine!

Also, I've read that pine is toxic to all animals and that's why you should use aspen instead.
http://www.afrma.org/rminfo2.htm
http://www.chinchillaplace.com/blog/bid/6392/Chinchilla-Cage-Cleaning
Also saw it on a rescue site... I guess that nice fresh smell is actually pretty bad for your pets so cedar and pine are NOT safe but aspen's alright.

Can any more experienced owners verify this?

Pine is an acceptable bedding as long as it is kiln dried. If it is not kiln dried, it is not safe. Cedar in any form is toxic and should never be used. KD pine actually does not have a strong pine scent to me and it works very well.

I also use KD Pine shavings for Wnistons litter box, and I dont find it smells at all, and he is located in my bedroom.

Also, I've read that pine is toxic to all animals and that's why you should use aspen instead.
http://www.afrma.org/rminfo2.htm
http://www.chinchillaplace.com/blog/bid/6392/Chinchilla-Cage-Cleaning
Also saw it on a rescue site... I guess that nice fresh smell is actually pretty bad for your pets so cedar and pine are NOT safe but aspen's alright.

Can any more experienced owners verify this?
Kiln dried pine seems to be acceptable to most chin owners. However, I use aspen because the smell of even kiln dried pine affects my breathing.

I've used Kiln Dried pine for years without any problems. I've never used Aspen, but isn't it really just a different species of pine tree? I guess I can't see how it would be much different.

Aspen is not a pine tree. It is a deciduous tree, meaning that it has leaves that drop every fall. Pine trees are evergreens. They have needles.

Latest posts

Back