bass pans rust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieJJ

chinnies215
Does anyone know if the bass pans rust? I thought I was done with mine and "stored" them outside all winter... :p Now I want to use them. I'm too lazy to go unbury them at the moment!

I've been using them for about 2 weeks now, and nothing has rusted. They seem to work perfectly fine for Zia.

Probably, but if ther're not too bad, sand them off and put a coat of GOOD car wax on them, [Blue Coral, if you can find it] and they'll not rust very easily again. Works real well on brand new pans, too! As a preventative!

Probably, but if ther're not too bad, sand them off and put a coat of GOOD car wax on them, [Blue Coral, if you can find it] and they'll not rust very easily again. Works real well on brand new pans, too! As a preventative!

Really? Is this safe for the chins?

Well, I have had mine for nearly 3 years and there are a couple of spots that look like they have the potential to rust but so far, no actual rust has formed LOL. But yes, they can if kept constantly wet. A couple of places where my chins pee a lot are the spots that look the most "worn".

My only bass pan has a couple spots, like JM said, where they had peed and its worn a bit.. but it's still usable and not all that bad.

By the time you're done with car wax, it's like .0001 thick. A chin would have to lick the whole bottom for any harm!

WOw.... I got ripped off by a lady and recieved 2 cages that were rusted pretty bad. To make it safe I had them painted with powder coating. But it would have been too far gone for car wax....

The Bass pans we had only slightly rusted in the chins favorite pees spots. I just sanded it down lightly and it was fine. Did you store them covered or just out in the open? Storing them out in the open I would think that might tend to make them rust, but I could be totally wrong on that.

Bass pans are galvanized which makes them resistant to rusting. Plain rain or snow water shouldn't do it. If it came in contact with acids though, like urine, the galvanized coating will start to wear off.

Spoof- you don't have a FN do you?

FN?

lol, I really was reading it as brass, and thinking, who in their right mind would pay to have a brass pan made.

On the sealing though, I used both rustoleum and polyurethane on metal pans with good luck. If they start to rust and you sand out the spots and seal them, they'll last for many more years. :D

Lol, brass pans would be pretty heavy too!!

I looked at them and they look the same as when I put them out there. I'll just have to give them a quick wash (don't know what animals may have explored them..) and bring them in :)

Not to mention brass would bend almost like paper - it's very soft!

I got the pans out today, no rust :) They had some leaves in them, and dirt.. :p I rinsed the bottom one in the shower, then fully washed and dried it in the shower (which was difficult without a shower head on a hose!). It's working wonderfully at keeping the shavings from the litter pan, and the hay from up above in the cage! :) I had to move the flying saucer to get it in the cage tho :( I'm not sure if the saucer is placed too high for them now tho! I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's OK!

Bass pans are REALLY durable! I left those outside through numerous snow and ice and rain storms (under an awning.. but still exposed to the outdoors) for 3 months and not a spot of rust!

Back